• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Please allow me to introduce myself

Hey everybody. I was referred here from another board but since I'm a man of taste I won't mention it. There I received a response to one of my posts from Mark Beiser who I just happen to see is a Sr. member here. I always loved little converible sports cars as a very impressionable kid and was well taken aback by Spitfires, TR6s and MGs. When I finaly got a license I got my mom's old Nova, then bought a used Vega which someone hit in the back and ran. While in a disco one snowy nite the Vega was parked around the back of the disco. It was too raggedy to be seen in and it smoked and the rear end damage still wasn't repaired. I returned to the car around 4am to find that someone and skidded into the back of the car and hit it yet again. However he left a note on the car with his phone number and I contacted him. Almost a year later his insurance adjuster finally saw my car and totalled it out and they gave me a check and allowed me to keep my smoking Vega. A replacement was due so I went shopping. I couldn't afford a new car from the local BL dealer but he had a British Racing Green, White striped, White spoker wheeled, Black vinyl topped, Slide-back glass moon roofed, Air-conditioned, 1976 Victory Edition TR7 on his used car lot for sale. Just like the ones I used to dream about owning when I saw them in the ads in the Car & Driver and Road & Track. Asking price in 1980 4500usd. Originally in 1976 in the ad it was 4995 Well Holy S%67!! Excuse me. Several days past and I bought the car! Returned to the dealer several days later to get work done to the car. Tune-up,adjust timing,fix clock,and bleed clutch. He promptly removed several dollars from my pocket and gave me " a break " charging me only half of the repair price (since I just bought the car) but still a pretty good chunk! Several miles later I slightly dented the nose. Couldn't stop, ran into the back of a car on the parkway. The only dent I ever put on the car. I promptly bought the shop manual and changed my brakes with the assistance of my father a mechanic with the city bus system. This was the first of many mechanical endeavors. Not too long after this ran over a loose muffler laying in the highway - replaced rear shifter extension, steering wheel wouldn't turn - replace steering rack, grinding noise in the rear diff. - removed and replaced rear gears, riding down the street with my girlfriend, car just polished, moonroof back and suddenly steam appeared in the cockpit followed by anti-freeze - remove dashbaord and replace heater box, a couple of years later replaced clutch a couple of years further down the road a little problem that I had been ignoring finally caught up with me. Never put struts or shocks on car. A little rusty crack where the strut-tower joins the front fender grew too wide to fix and the tranny went out again. Funds were very low I was getting married to the girl from the heater box incident. Put the car in the local paper and someone bought it who needed the engine. He was very pleased to get it as the engine was well taken care of and always tuned. I learned all about cars while I owned a TR7. And I had the most fun driving it. Parked right in the front door of the disco too! And everyone would just look and Ohh and Ahh! Its been over 15 years since I drove one and I still got the fever. Used to drive almost 30 miles to the disco and at times been up to 109MPH at 4am coming home! In the winter with the heat up full blast and the windows up and the moonroof back there's nothing like it! I'm looking to replace this car now, been looking for Spiders, told my father he thinks I'm nuts. Ahhh!!! That Shape, it never lets go.

MichaelF

I enjoyed your tale! I too am an owner, er custodian, er parole officer for a '76 TR7. It was astonishing how badly built those early cars were -- though I hear the 75 TR6 is a possible equal in 'build bodge'. There was a story that as part of a 'job action' the Speke workers actually sabotaged cars. Might be true. However when running well these are the cars great memories are made of! If you are up for a trip down memory lane [with the aid of the tow truck] there are many 76's for sale are astonishly low prices.

What's interesting is that your list automotive disasters doesn't overlap with mine! I guess those are in store. There's a barely exagerated story about mine at https://www.infopop.com/aboutus/daylife.php?id=294

Bob Buxbaum

Jedi Hopeful
Hello Langelo,

Here we CAN trade stories without commercial interuption
spam.gif
from you know who. Good to see you found this forum.
cheers.gif

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Now THAT folks, is how to do an introductory post! Great story! Welcome to the best British Car Forum on the internet. Come to think of it, it is THE British Car Forum (I may be biased just a tad). Hope you enjoy your time here!

Basil

steve99

Jedi Trainee
With all of the horor stories about mid-70's mechanical troubles with these wonderful little cars, just think... we could be all driving Pinto's and Vega's from the same era, and not having near as much fun.

mijTR6

Freshman Member
Good story. I am also a TR nut but I have managed to resist the "call of the wedge". I have a TR4 and a TR6. My repair stories (while many) are not as colorfull as yours. I recognize that name - Ah now I remember you played guitar on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".
aka-Eric Clapton

mijTR6

OP
L
Thanks for the warm welcome. I think I'll like it here. Thanks for reading my post, After I finished it I thought it was rather long and I feared that no one would read it. Thanks to those who did and enjoyed it. Nice to see that Bob is also here and thanks Mark for responding to my post on the other board about Spiders from Cali. Although my experience was troublesome I would not trade it for anything and the rides I took in that well tuned head turning british racing green devil made up for any bad times when it sat in the driveway awaiting the next part! Before this I was a gas and go boy now I'm a LBC mechanic!

Bob Buxbaum

Jedi Hopeful
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mijTR6:
Good story. I am also a TR nut but I have managed to resist the "call of the wedge". I have a TR4 and a TR6. My repair stories (while many) are not as colorfull as yours. I recognize that name - Ah now I remember you played guitar on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".
aka-Eric Clapton

mijTR6
<hr></blockquote>

The Wedge calls
yesnod.gif

The sounds of a Buick 3.5L V8 at 5500 rpm calls
thumbsup.gif

Find one to take a drive in and you WILL be looking on e-bay for one.

My warmed over TR8 sits proudly next to my stock GT6+ and I love them both. But the tR8 is a hoot ALL the time
driving.gif

OP
L
Yes Langelo Demysterioso did play on the Eric Clapton album! But stand corrected it was actually George Harrison who was the guest on "While my Guitar Gently Weeps" and who first used this name.

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Sorry for getting in so late, but do permit me to add my welcome and thanks for the great TR story. Hope you get the bug soon and get another to share about.
thumbsup.gif

TR7/8 TPI

Jedi Hopeful
Originally posted by Bob Buxbaum:
[QB]

The Wedge calls
yesnod.gif

The sounds of a Buick 3.5L V8 at 5500 rpm calls
thumbsup.gif

Find one to take a drive in and you WILL be looking on e-bay for one.

AHHHH the sounds of a Chev LT1 5.7L V8 with twin sequential turbos waiting for some exhaust to be delivered. The hissing sound of the carbon dioxide being sprayed on the intercoolers as they await some nice warm boost pressure and BAM, the throttle is opened, rpm's rise, turbos spool, boost rises and controlling wheelspin becomes an excersize in futility so u lift on the throttle and a loud puft sound is heard from the boost pressure escaping as the bypass valves open, applying a liberal ammount of throttle, a bit of traction is found now and you start to accelerate while the scenery around you becomes a blur................

Not exactly what British Leyland had in mind, huh?
Well, I think it should have been!!!

Ofcourse i'm a high power to weight ratio junkie so maybe it's just me! heh