• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 V8 Conversion

G

Dear All,
Am looking for serious advice on the feasability of converting my 73 TR6 to a V8. Do any of you know of websites that go into detail of the mechanics of such. Thinking along the lines of a Buick (Rover) light weight engine. Would it hook up to my Triumph gearbox? Also want to keep the rearend stock. Am running a Sachs clutch off a Rover V8 - any adapter plates out there for a direct hookup? The simpler, the better, the old K.I.S.S. adage. My current engine is a total, quality rebuild with trip ZS carbs, rollers, etc. Beautiful! (and for sale) Just not enough raw power! Mid-life crisis!!
Dr. Bill

VitSport6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Dr Bill.
Here is a great site!

https://britishv8.org/swaps/examples.htm

Looks like ALLLlll sorts of good ideas!
Have fun
cheers.gif
thirsty.gif

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
Oh No Dr Bill Oh No!!! actually since it goes into an mgb without much fuss a rover V8 isnt too bad an idea. I suggest the 5 spd 7/8 tranny is the way to go here,not the stock unit. Saw a BGT the other day that had AC that really worked, so you could also if you wanted to. The stock diff will take a lot of power if its in good shape.....
Good luck !!
MD(mad dog)

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
... Or try an old fashioned Ford V8 (302 or 351 I believe), a guy here in Ontario has done and told me that it fit in almost perfectly and actually has better balance in there than the original engine.

He took the engine out of a 1979 Ford LTD, did some performance modifications and dropped it in. The car body doesn't look any different (even the hood - er bonnet to you Brits - doesn't need to be changed). Apparently a number of people in the States have done roughly the same thing. Unfortunately I don't know of a website to look up.

[ 06-17-2003: Message edited by: Sherlock ]</p>

UltimateQuestion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Check out the latest "Newspaper" sale ad from TRF. There is an article about some guys from the Long Island Triumph Association who are building a V8 TR6. While they were at it, they also widened the car by six inches!
shocked.gif

Gary Pope

Jedi Trainee
I would go for a Ford 302 or Chevy 350.
Parts galore, cheap and performance oriented.
Plenty of nice add ons that will make the engine look sharp.

Some of the bulkhead needs to be cut away to get the bellhousing situated. It is something I have thought about and may do it one day, the prospect of good idle performance and no timing issues ever again are appealing .. not to mention a roaring V8 roadster.

cowboy.gif

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by UltimateQuestion:
Check out the latest "Newspaper" sale ad from TRF. There is an article about some guys from the Long Island Triumph Association who are building a V8 TR6. While they were at it, they also widened the car by six inches!
shocked.gif
<hr></blockquote>

I'm a member of the

Long Island Triumph Association, and, yes we are widening a TR-6 by 6 inches, and are going to put in a Rover Aluminium V-8. The front end will be lighter then with the iron 6 cylinder. The frame of the donor car was too rotted to be widened, so we welded up a new frame from 3 inch square tubing. There a pics and info on the web site. Click on the link above, and on the left side you'll see the TR6+6 link.
thirsty.gif

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
I'd go for the Ford FI 302 V8 and T5 transmission for a 80s Mustang. They weight almost the same as the TR6 engine (the Chevy 350 weighs a bit more and is slightly larger). The TR6 doesn't really need the lightweight Rover V8.

cjsteak

Freshman Member
Dr. Bill,

What all have you done to your motor performance wise? Has it been balanced? How about the cam? I'm looking for a really hot motor for my tr6.

How much are you asking?

Thanks

P.S. I'm going to add the triple su carbs this weekend, how do yours work? Was the performance noticeably improved?

OP
G

Dear cjsteak,
My engine is a total rebuild with turned crank, bored 20 over with new AE pistons, stock-style cam, Roadster Factory rebuilt head, roller rockers, triple ZS (GoodParts), stock ignition with Sport coil. Didn't balance, blueprint, polish or anything. Runs really well. Probably not for sell at this time because the V8 conversion would cause a divorce, if you know what I mean. The GoodParts intake with Gary Martin triple Strombergs is really sweet, and extremely easy to tune and keep tuned. Had dual DGV Webers and hated them. Also went through 5 electronic ignitions. Buncha crap. Points and condensors are the only way to fly. Keep a TR engine as close to stock as possible is highly recommended; make it bigger and stonger but don't change it!

Dr. Bill

TRED

Jedi Hopeful
I drove my 69 TR6 today for the first time since 1987.
The V8 conversion I did wasn't easy and most of my original TR6 is long gone. Only the outer shell and the front suspension remain. Whats it like to try and put 500+ HP to the ground in a TR6?
Scary is a word that comes to mind.
Hard to get the smile off my face.

Gary Pope

Jedi Trainee
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dr. Bill:
Dear cjsteak,
Also went through 5 electronic ignitions. Buncha crap. Points and condensors are the only way to fly.
Dr. Bill
<hr></blockquote>

Can you elaborate on the electronic ignition problems, are you talking about the Pertronix ignitor's ?

I have a fairly severe breakdown in my ignition system and I suspect the ignitor unit. I had noticed the wires inside the distrib have been damaged by the rotor. I put insulating tape around the bare parts .. but not sure if its working right.

OP
G

Gary,
No, I had the Crane (Allison) 700 series (2) and the 3000 series (3), all of which worked for a short while and then absolutely shut down. Now, I have a new British Wiring harness, correctly installed. I repeat, the points and condensor are the only way to fly. Adjustable, stable, plenty fire and cheap!!
Dr. Bill