• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MkIV Chrome Bumpers

79spitC

Freshman Member
I have a '79 Triumph spitfire (MkIV) 1500 with black plastic bumpers (
pukeface.gif
). Does anyone know how to convert to chrome? The rear end is a no-brainer, but the front mounts seem to need modification....
confused.gif

[ 12-29-2002: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Welcome to the forum! I know the European models had smaller bumpers, and so I'd imagine it would be possible to swicth to those more readily that the earlier chrome bumbers. Under those monsterous rubber bumbers are fairly large metal fairings that the rubber bumbers attach to. In short, It may be possible, but I'd guess it would, in fact, take a good deal of modification.

(I have the big black rubber bumbers too on my Spit and would love to hear from anyone who knows if its possible to revert back to the earlier style.

Basil
cheers.gif

PS: I deleted your code for posting pictures. Looks like you were trying to link to a picture on yor own computer. Actually, to post a picture, you must point to a picture that resides somewhere on the internet already and you point to its URL.
Here's how...

[ 12-29-2002: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

G

you can convert RB mgbs fairly simply. The first step would be to take the heavy bumpers off and have a look

80spitlizzy

It is possible! I've talked with folks that have made this mod to their 79/80. Mine still has the rubber bumpers. I was planning to replace them with chrome and have gone as far as to purchase a set of bumpers that are in pretty rough shape that I planned to have rechromed. As you can tell from my use of the past tense, I've decided to keep the rubber. They've grown on me and they're gonna stay.

Now to the question at hand..... I currently have the engine out of my '80 1500. While I'm waiting for parts for the engine rebuild I've been stripping the engine compartment in preparation for a clean and paint of the frame and firewall. I've removed the front bumper and had a ggod look at what would be required to mount the chrome front bumper.
As far as I can tell the only real "modification" you would need to make is to grind the welds off of the bracket that holds the big foam bits to the front of the pre-79 overrider mounts.

Here are some pics.

bumper-bracket-mount.jpg

bumper-bracket1.jpg

You would need to grind the welds circled in red and remove the bracket.
bumper-bracket2.jpg

Mark.

[ 12-29-2002: Message edited by: 80spitlizzy ]</p>

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Wow, thanks for the info Mark (and the pictures). I would not mind getting ride of my big black bumbers one of these days myself!

Basil
(78 Spitfire)

OP

79spitC

Freshman Member
Thanks for the info guys. sorry I don't have pictures up yet, but i'll post some. Do you have to cut anything off of the car to put them on...?

(eww... it's me.)

G

it doesn't work unless the picture is on the internet, and it doesn't usually work with photo albums such as OFOTO

spit6 guy

Hi

I was looking at the question and I think that
79spitc had asked and I know that if he wants to change to the all chrome type (late 60's ) he will need major modifications to the bonnet hinges, but if he will go for the early 70's style with small hard plastic over riders tihs can be done very easily . I have had both types in the past and am thinking about going to the smaller over riders(early 70's) on my spit6 from the large rubber over riders ( mid 70's style) that is on my car at this time.

P.S.If any one wants the mid 70's style over riders (mine are in almost new condition ) Email me at Kgf62@hotmail.com and we can come to an agreement.

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
Are the smaller over riders are bolt on proposition? I'd like to get small ones in place of the HUGE ones on my 74. Oh and where did you find your smaller ones?

Thanks

cheers.gif

ainadude

I had been wondering the same thing after I took delivery on my '76 late last summer. In the process of disassembling all the body fittings prior to a re-paint, I discovered that there is a removable steel plate on each frame extension that adapts it for the later-style (i.e. larger) black underriders. Once you remove this by undoing the two bolts used to adjust fore and aft positioning of the hood (bonnet), the earlier versions will slip right on. Later bumpers ('75-'78) should have the appropriate holes to attach the earlier underriders (mine did). Note: The lower attachment point (under the frame extension) did not match up on mine, although the upper two mounts seem to be sufficient to hold the pieces in place.

FYI: I bought a set of early style black underriders (replicas made of fiberglass) from a company in the UK called James Paddock. The set cost me about $80, including shipping to Honolulu. Cheap upgrade that looks great -- highly recommended.

spit6 guy

I took mine from my wrecked GT6 and when I made my spit6 I used a gt6 frame so the over riders had all the mounting points the lower one is just a 'L'bracket with a 1/4 20 nut welded to it so you can put these onto a spitfire very simply
by removing the large over rider brackets and
using the monnting points in bumper and making a small 'L' bracket and using selftapping sheet metal screws to attach to frame and a 1/4 20 nut and bolt to attach the small over riders.
thumbsup.gif

spit6 guy

HI again
sorry you said you have a 1979 that I belive had a total rubber bumper so you will also have to get a chrome bumper and do some cutting to the hinge pods in front so that the small over riders will fit over them and this wil not be a bolt on mod and would be hard to put back to orignal so
unless you are handy with cutting or grinding
tools youn should think very hard before doing this mod.
frown.gif

OP

79spitC

Freshman Member
I am not too handy with cutting/grinding tools (yet), but i'll find someone who is. I don't plan on returning it to the original Black bumpers.