• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 Restoration

Eagleye

Freshman Member
Way back when I bought this 1965 BJ8, drove it last in 1987 to the Monterey AH Meet. Been setting in the garage(s), Calif. now here in VA. Went to FL a couple weeks ago and discovered a shop in New Smyrna that looks real good for a restoration. Last week a local fellow told me about a Place here in Northern VA called White Post. Sorta had my mind set on the guys in FL but now another decision to make. Just wondering if any of you all have been thru this.
Cheers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Hikrynols, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif You will have no problems using Healey Surgeons. I have consistently used White Post restorations in VA on all my brake part rebuilds. However,, I have never knowingly seen one of their car restorations. Other Healey owner's in that part of the country should be a good source for additional information about them.---Fwiw--Keoke

Greg

For my money Paul Tsikuris in Lakeland, Florida (863-858-7981)is one of the best British restoration shops around. Paul has done rolling restorations on both my MGA and BJ8 Healey. He is honest, fair, has tremendous attention to detail, and has extensive knowledge of British sports cars.

OP
E

Eagleye

Freshman Member
Thanks All for the input. I know about Healey Surgeons, have been up there several years back. We will visit the White Post folks early next year and will report what we find there. Also will contact Paul on this as well.
Will keep you all posted on our progress on this one. My original intent was to do this myself but there is just no time with all the other real demands at this time, and having retired it seems there are more, so if I am ever going to drive it again it will have to be worked by an outside vendor.

Ed Kaler

Jedi Warrior
Hi Jim!!
[ QUOTE ]
I know about Healey Surgeons, have been up there several years back.

[/ QUOTE ]
Was "Goldie" in the showroom?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For those of you that have not seen Goldie she IS on my site at "Goldie"

I would also recommend Bruce and Inan and have known them and their work for (er? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) 3 decades or so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Bruce, me and Hortense in front of Healey Surgeons

Tell them Hello from me!!

Ed

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
There is one other restorer in VA; "Classic Car Emporium"---Keoke

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
"Went to FL a couple weeks ago and discovered a shop in New Smyrna that looks real good for a restoration. Last week a local fellow told me about a Place here in Northern VA called White Post"
----------------------

Hikry--

What are your goals for your car? White Post does wonderful work but according to the owner (and this was 2003) they require a $20K deposit prior to commencement and he had about a six-month waiting list back then. The fellow in NSB does nice work from the cars I have seen. I don't believe that Healey Surgeons is doing any more restorations. Paul Tsikuris does wonderful work (my wife's 3000 was done by him for a PO) but why go so far? There are shops in the VA/MD/PA area that can give you whatever you seek and you can see the work in progress if you are so inclined.

A number of folks in the Capital Area Austin-Healey Club of which I am a member would no doubt be happy to give you names and experiences with local folks. Contact me directly at: awgertoo@aol.com and I'll get you in the information loop. BTW if you're not yet a member perhaps you'd like to join the club?

Country flag
Bruce and Inan at Healey Surgeons are great folks to work with, however I too have heard that they are no longer doing full restorations. It might be worth your while to drive over and talk to them if it's not too far from where you are in VA. It's also worth the drive to see Goldie, she was still in the showroom as of last spring. Good Luck!

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
For my money Paul Tsikuris in Lakeland, Florida (863-858-7981)is one of the best British restoration shops around. Paul has done rolling restorations on both my MGA and BJ8 Healey. He is honest, fair, has tremendous attention to detail, and has extensive knowledge of British sports cars.

[/ QUOTE ]
Paul did the panel alignment and oversaw the paintwork on my car too. I wish I had been closer to have had more input during some of the decision making periods, but overall, I am happy with the work.

IMG_5869a.jpg

OP
E

Eagleye

Freshman Member
Lots of good input, again thanks. To answer a couple questions, our overall intent for the car is to restore it to a driveable car, one that has good steering, brakes and one that does not look bad.
This car has a short history, we being the 3rd owners. The last owner, a politician, gave it to his daughter at college and when he saw what she was doing with it he disabled it by removing the front brake calipers! (Single Dad!) I recovered a pair up in Salem Ore at Mini Motors and was able to drive it, then life happened and I parked it in the back garage where it stayed for 5 yrs, hauled it back here to VA where it sat in the barn ever since. When it came over in the van from the west coast they did not have it secured and the lower pan, the one below the grille was damaged. Back when we lived in CA I did belong to the AH Club out there, the one that published(s)the nice Healey Highlights. Lots of life happened between then and now so am no longer a member but would be interested as this project moves forward.
As I stated, there are so many really big projects looking at me that this cannot be started by me, history tells me that it would never get to the 10% stage. In short we need to complete the restoration on this farmhouse (1890), sell the farm, downsize into a move to the Mathews County area and spend some quality time refinishing the home on Cat Island.
I also have a 76 280Z (unleaded), 70 MGB-GT, 65 GMC, 2 old Farmalls, D6C Cat, 83 FXWG and a lot of farm equipment to chase after. Will be a big auction someday but will keep the FX and the AH.
I really liked the approach of the shop in NSB, he does all the infrastructure first, his sight unseen estimate matched what I thought it would be almost to the dollar. Still will check out some others for sure, we did talk to the Surgeons and they were not inclined to do the ground up restore, they do have a great parts inventory however. I suppose anyone involved in this work would have to be a quality operation since they are dealing with people's 'PETS'.

Gary H

Freshman Member
Country flag
Last post was Sept 2006. Has your restoration been completed? Which shop did you decide to use or did you decide to do most of the work yourself? My BJ8 has been a 40 year project in waiting and I am looking for a shop to do some, or all, the restoration to a "driver" condition. Going by Classic Car Center in Fredericksburg, VA on Monday to see their shop.