• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

i'm still here

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
haven't had too much time lately to post but spent some time this weekend rebuilding brake calipers. found some weird wear on the edges of the pistons. on both pistons, one half of the cup lip was worn back about 1/16 of an inch or more. it doesn't make sense for it to wear that way but the pistons have to be replaced. so it's another cost ... anyway, i am waiting on a new/used oven thermostat for my junk (emphasis on junk) powdercoat oven. it turns out that the oven thermostat was not working at all and if you have ever had that problem, your oven becomes a blast furance of sorts. anyway, i see jack is doing well and posting, i hope to have my website up soon. i was going to publish it last night, but it didn't update properly ... if only things always went as planned! wish it could /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif do this instead sometimes! more to come!

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
The caliper pistons are SUPPOSED to have a notch in them.
I forget just where that notch points, I seem to recall towards the bleeder but I might be wrong.

OP
fmichaels

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
this is the lip of the cup where it makes contact to the brake pad (or brake anti-squeal pad). about halfway around the circumference of the cup, the lip is lower than the other half. this is normal?

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Cutaway towards the hub.

OP
fmichaels

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
if the "notch" is suppose to be there, what is it doing? since the edge makes contact with the pad, why would you notch the piston? this is too strange

OP
fmichaels

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
checked the manual and sure enough there are notches on the pistons ... great catch by the forum. at least i don't have to replace them. i wonder how many drivers have these babies out of position. anyway, thanks to all on the forum that corrected me on this.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
jlaird Still here Spridgets 5
prb51 Cachet is still here Triumph 8
jlaird Can I do this and still post here Spridgets 6
Nelson Warranty still good Spridgets 3
B Does anyone still make or sell a quality condenser? Austin Healey 14
K TR2/3/3A Do Lucas distributor points still have the" Lucas logo" on them.... Triumph 4
sparkydave Odd discovery, but still ran OK Spridgets 1
PAUL161 T-Series Who's still building 5 speed conversions. MG 4
K TR2/3/3A What is the name of this bracket and is it still avaiable? Triumph 4
RAC68 Directionals, Still a Pain Austin Healey 25
RAC68 Clutch Still Slipping after replacing 30W-Non-Det. for Red Line Austin Healey 52
steveg Steering rebuild followup - still issues Austin Healey 29
T Pertronix Ignitor - old potential reliability issue is still there Austin Healey 12
T Pertronix Ignitor - old potential reliability issue is still there Spridgets 0
K For Sale TR3 grille....not perfect but still useable. Triumph Classifieds 2
C elusive amswersHi Mine is a 66 BJ8. I have 2 questions that up till now I still canno Austin Healey 2
R Still Another Healey Brake Bleeding Saga [unfinished] Austin Healey 9
GTP1960 General Tech Still in business? Triumph 3
KVH General Tech Still on the Body Work Triumph 6
Rob Glasgow Fender Beads still in wrapper Austin Healey 5
KVH General TR Still Losing Oil Triumph 5
KVH TR4/4A Wish I Could Give Up--My Carbs Still HS6 TR4A Triumph 27
CZ_Dave MGB I'm Still Around, just busy livin life on lifes terms MG 2
Steve1970 TR6 Carb air piston test, still results in stall even when adjusted rich Triumph 11
BJ8Healeys The scammers are still at it Austin Healey 3
I Quantum Mechanics Ltd still in business? Spridgets 7
CZ_Dave MGB I'm still around MG 2
J TR4/4A Cam Timing with Head Still On HELP! Triumph 8
KVH TR4/4A Still Learning: I'm Missing, But Only Slightly Triumph 4
M Backfiring through carbs still Austin Healey 17
wangdango This BN2 still around? Austin Healey 6
wkilleffer MGB Anyone still use HIF SU carbs? MG 12
R And Still Cooler in Florida Austin Healey 3
mgedit TR2/3/3A Still Overheating ... Triumph 22
Kleykamp TR2/3/3A Still fighting turn signal issues. Triumph 1
bigbadbluetr6 TR6 TR-6 still not running right Triumph 31
G MGB STILL working on clutch slave MG 37
B TR2/3/3A After a beating, the tunnel still lives Triumph 6
rjc157 I Donald were still alive Austin Healey 15
RAC68 Still being Surprised Austin Healey 7
A TR5/TR250 Who still rebuilds Rear Hub Assemblies? Triumph 15
Lukens TR2/3/3A Let's see if I'm still having the 'Britishcar forum not responding" problem Triumph 3
P T-Series Does my Mark II TD still exist? MG 3
mrv8q They're still out there..... Austin Healey 26
bighealeysource BN2 still missing, think it's carbs not ignition ? Austin Healey 8
KVH TR4/4A TR4A--still won't start Triumph 16
G MGB Still working on front suspesion MG 9
Jim_Gruber Spring is getting closer - What Spridget Winter projects do you still need to finish Spridgets 13
B Hello Gents....long time gone...but Im still at it..lol Triumph 1
dougie Still Time for Christmas Austin Healey 2