• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series IOWA'S 53 MG TD

iowa

Freshman Member
i'm starting a thread on my MG.
i bought it in detroit on 4/12/2004.
started a ground up restro until the end of Oct 04.
then i stopped to restore a wwii jeep.
here is a before and after picture.
i plan to start working on it again soon.
will keep you'all updated!!
dave
before_and_now_mg_td_pic_copy.jpg

OP
iowa

iowa

Freshman Member
hello again
is there a specific section for the 'T' series?
or is there another forum on the internet that
deals only with this series?
thanks
dave

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
wow... that before shot reminds me of "The Beverly Hillbillies" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Looks like a fun project though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

We don't have a specific "T" section on this board... Unfortunately, I'm not up on "T" knowledge and resources either.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thank you for bringing another back from the grave. Tis a worthly job.

Rick_Stevens

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
These guys (https://www2.mgcars.org.uk/cgi-bin/gen5?runprog=mgbbs) have a couple of T-specific sections, but I don't know how much traffic those get.

You should still stick around here, 'cause a lot of the folks posting here also have T's and most all of them can offer solid restoration advice. Sounds like you don't need much of that, though, if you've just finished a Willys resto. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

R.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Welocme - stick around...my '53 TD has been as far down as yours, had all the wood replaced (along with most everything else) & is now in body shop for paint.

wam

Freshman Member
Hello fellow Iowan Dave! Since this state isn't that big, I must be just "down the road" a bit and can offer some experiences I had in a frame-off restoration of a '54 TF. There are a few cobwebs on the car and probably in my head as the work was done more than 40 years ago...seems like just yesterday, however. Still have the Moss catalogs from that period with my margin notes on what I needed. No one offered wood body parts or even the body panels then, so I spent a summer learning sheet metal work to make what I needed and brought home nice lengths of thick dry ash on flat car loads of machinery from my job as a young railroad brakey. The damaged wood was replaced with hand finished pieces (even then, the car was heavily rotted below the door thresholds). The car sits in my garage still waiting for some attention on the interior...none of which was available in the 60's, either. The ivory naugahyde I had made up is still like new and I hate to change it out...I keep looking for ivory colored Hidem tacking strip! The TF waits because of my wife's B...and an edict it be finished before she can no longer comforatably get in it! Good luck on the project and hollar if you want a second opinion.

Will keep an eye out for ya!

Bill

R6MGS

Yoda
Definatly got yourself a project there, stick around and you'll get all the help you need right here. I am in the middle of a concours resto of my TC...got it torn down to just the tub sitting on the frame right now, all other components have been rebuilt and detailed...next major step is to pull the tub off the frame. It's been 5 years and I got at least another 5 to go....but I have an excuse, I am sidetracked by all these other cars(starting a quick cosmetic resto on the TR now).

OP
iowa

iowa

Freshman Member
okay,
you've convinced me.
i'll stay right here!
which icon do i hit to send
a PM to Bill above?
thanks
dave

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Nice! Another T-series owner coming out of the woodwork.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Go to my home and send your PM or click on his name where he has posted and look at bottom of page.

BoneIdle

Jedi Trainee
Where in Iowa are you guys? I thought I had the only MG in the state! PM me or something. I'm new up here

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
Nice! Another T-series owner coming out of the woodwork.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice pun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
My Y-Type is essentially a TD. Does that count? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have a TC as well but I've never had the need to tear it down very far.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
My Y-Type is essentially a TD

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Steve, I need to come take that "faker" off your hands...hehehehe

OP
iowa

iowa

Freshman Member
i have considered selling this at one time.
i have all the parts,
having bought all the ones i didn't have,
and have about 12k into it.
if i was to sell it for 10k,
would there be any interest?
dave

OP
iowa

iowa

Freshman Member
i am finishing up my 2nd wwii jeep,
a 1942 slat grill.