Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lucas distributor identification...

Jedi Trainee
    Chats

Lucas distributor identification...

ok,

so i've started to get to the meat and potatoes of this restoration and noticed that all gt6's came with delco distributors. all but mine that is.

i've got a lucas 41168 D from the 19th week of 1975. is this a tr6 distributor? i haven't been able to find any real good info and searches come up short.

thanks for any help you guys might have like if this will work or where it originally came from.
    1972 GT6 MK3
    Total spent so far: $4999.55 (rolling chassis)

Chats

Re: Lucas distributor identification...

The only 41168 I could find in my list is for '66-68 GT6 and Vitesse. That was a 41168A model. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    Doug L.
    '64 Morris Mini Cooper-S 1275
    '67 Triumph GT6 Mk1
    '72 Spifire Mk4

Chats

Doug is correct, at least according to my Lucas catalogue (in which I have found numerous mistakes, but I think this is ok). I don't currently have my GT6 Spare Parts Catalogue handy (lent to a friend), but my Vitesse 2L Spare Parts Catalogue does list a Lucas distributor as an alternative to the "normal" Delco equipment. So there's no reason why the 41168 shouldn't work ok; in fact, it might be just that bit better than the Delco (at least according to some sources)!
    -- Andrew (Andy) Mace, VTR's Triumph 10/Herald/Sports 6 vehicle consultant and keeper of the North American Triumph Sports 6 and Herald Database

Jedi Trainee
    Chats

i never thought about my parts book. in my triumph workshop manual it says delco, and wherever i go to get distributor parts, they are for the delco. where am i supposed to get parts?

this is my first carb and distributor(with points) car if you couldn't tell. from what i've learned recently, the a-d are just slight changes, and should work where an earlier "model" did. i guess i'll go get my parts book and look for myself.
    1972 GT6 MK3

Chats

Odds are TR6 points, etc., should work just fine!
    -- Andrew (Andy) Mace, VTR's Triumph 10/Herald/Sports 6 vehicle consultant and keeper of the North American Triumph Sports 6 and Herald Database

Jedi Trainee
    Chats

creepy...

http://www.britishcarforum.com/ubbthread...true#Post108089

as for the parts book, it has 4 distributor part numbers, but no info on the actual distributors. i'm looking though, thanks guys for the help and info. i feel like a detective.
    1972 GT6 MK3

My book shows a Lucas 22D6 listed for the Vitesse.
    Jeff

Chats

The Lucas 22D6 is indeed what the 41168 is.

You should be able to use the cap and rotor from ANY car using the 22D6. Points... might indeed be the same as used on the Delco (and you should be able to look in the VB catalog to confirm the same part numbers).

It MIGHT also be that you could use the points from any car that runs the 22D6 since it's unlikely that Lucas made different breaker plates through the production run. What's likely to have changed are advance components like the cam, advance springs, and vacuum advance unit.

Looking through my list I show other versions of the 22D6 used on the following cars:
    TR250 & TR6 (early '73)
    '68-69 Jag XKE (USA)
    '73 Jag XJ6
    '66 Jag 3.4L
    '66-69 Jag 4.2L
    '67-73 Aston Martin (Vantage 4L)
    Doug L.
    '64 Morris Mini Cooper-S 1275
    '67 Triumph GT6 Mk1
    '72 Spifire Mk4

Chats

Contact Jeff at Advanced Distributors. He has all of the master charts for Lucas. I believe that the 5 digit number indicates the advance curve that is inside of that particular unit. Jeff can tell you exactly what it is and what it's set up for, unless someone change the weights and springs, which is not likely.

http://www.advanceddistributors.com/

Good luck,
    Paul Rego
    S.E. MASS - USA
    1974 TR6 Mimosa & Chestnut
    Original Owner / Non Original Car
    1980 TR8 Lava Red Pearl / Tan
    New Owner / Non Original Car

My TR6 Resto-Mod Project

Doug, at 5 in the morning I didn't have the time to do any more research other than to grab the shop manual and do a quick check. Thanks for the update, and I think I'll see if I can find one of those critters for mine. Nothing wrong with the Delco that's in there now, but, I've got a feeling that Lucas parts may be easier to come by in the future. Besides, one can never have too many spares. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Jeff