• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

RHD obsession, do I give in?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Okay, I've got a strange obsession with RHD cars. Can't explain it, just is. Now, as I'm considering my LBC plans for the winter (and, I admit, thinking that a larger/faster car may be in order) I'm wondering if I should pursue this attraction. Should I be on the lookout for a RHD car?

Is this just another sign that I'm a bit odd? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Nothing wrong with that...

One the active members of our local sports car club has an early non-bug-eye Sprite in RHD, I even remember seeing a RHD Triumph Spitfire a few years ago in Ontario, both cars are readily available in LHD but for whatever reason...

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've collected up all the parts & pieces to convert my '63 MGB to RHD!

sideache

Jedi Knight
My Bugeye is undergoing a full resto right now and I have thought about switching it to RHD.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Strangely enough, for me, the car would have to have been originally RHD. Even though a Bugeye, for instance, already has all the fittings to convert it, it just wouldn't be the same (for me). Can't explain it.

Almost bought a '65 RHD midget when I bought the TR4 last year. In hindsight, I should have.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, after sitting in the Daimler I recently bought & putting my hand on the ground over the edge of the door, I can understand why! That sucker redefines "low".

R6MGS

Yoda
My TC is RHD...I've never driven it though, but I will soon enough...I think it might be a little weird though, especially making left turns at busy intersections.

R6MGS

Yoda
BTW: Sherlock, thats an interesting sig pic....Where was that taken?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
My only observation is that SWMBO lasted for about 5 minutes sitting next to the center stripe and said a loud NO to my thought of buying a jag/daimler V8 250.
FWIW

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Dart, you just might buy a Jag MK11 and switch one them engines out of the tupperware cars in and.---Bob's Your Uncle---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
@R6MGS

That photo? Just spotted the E-Type on a local driveway, I liked the angle the car was parked in the driveway, and the whole scene... Here's the permanent link to the photo as I change that signature photo out fairly often... https://www.flickr.com/photos/sherlock77/241486388/

@DART

I have once see a LHD Daimler V8 250 sedan, I believe it was one of the last ones with the different style bumpers, I do imagine that it was quite a rare car (at least the fact that it was LHD)

R6MGS

Yoda
I'd be at that Etypes door faster than Orprah on a bucket of chicken. I had a hardtop exactly like that on my Etype. Have you got an address or street name? I have a whole lot of contacts in Calagary since we moved our headoffices out there....I doubt the owner would want to part with it, but it's worth a shot.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Nothing wrong with wanting a RHD car. Interestingly enough, the first RHD car I drove was a very early Lotus Elan 1600. The car seemed way too easy to drive for my first try on the wrong side of the car. The hardest part was that the shift pattern was still exactly like the LHD car -- so on the right, first was away from the driver.

I like RHD. It always makes a car look classier when on American streets.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I like RHD. It always makes a car look classier when on American streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's just something about it--different, I guess. Seems to fit the character of a British car. Sometimes I think I just like to be contrary. Might have to think more about this...

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Yep, there is something different about it. For example, how do you see when it is safe to pass when you are stuck behind a big semi on a busy carriage way??. Traveling safely on the LH drive roads in a RH drive car requires a navigator.----Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Strangely enough, for me, the car would have to have been originally RHD. Even though a Bugeye, for instance, already has all the fittings to convert it, it just wouldn't be the same (for me). Can't explain it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to explain, I know exactly how you feel.

I have five MGs and three of them, including my daily driver, are RHD. I actually prefer RHD cars most of the time.

For a list I made about RHD in the USA, go here:
https://www.mgnuts.com/mg/rhdcars

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yes Scherlock, there are some LH drive V8 Saloons. A couple of them are here in the US. However, they seem to be a rarity in Europe. They appear in both the early and late series cars. Some have,the metal sun roof which is a real rarity,while others have the webasto fitted. There does not seem to be but a handful of the V8 Saloons here in the US.--Keoke

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I'v driven a couple of RHD cars. The one I drove the most was a classic Mini. I was surprised at how quickly everything felt "normal" to me. and being as that car was so small, it wasen't too bad on blind spots. Pulling out from a parking spot on the side of the road, passing, and drive throughs, are all a challange, but part of the fun of it (especially the drive through part)

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I know of a Daimler(Jag MkII body style) Sedan with the 2.5V8 that could be for sale soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wheah??--E-Mail me off list---Keoke