• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Back from my 1st day on the new job

And while I'm tired... It's actually easier than working at the funeral home. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif We re-installed a fire hydrant after repacking it's valves (they had removed it friday because the fire deptartment broke the packings inside of it, and it kept leaking), and then organized some loose fittings in the building. That's about it. I did get dirty, and hot and sweaty, but I did it without wearing a suit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif seemed more like hanging out at a buddies house and lending a hand with some project than work, but I'm not gonna tell them that - hehehehehe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

kyreb1862

Jedi Knight
Thats better than working 300 degree blacktop on a 100 degree day and believe me when I tell you been there done that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

OP
kennypinkerton
Part of the day was me being one of those county work crews you see standing around doing nothing... I was being a go-fer and waiting for the backhoe operator to finish what he was doing, but to anyone that drove by, it looked like I was just standing around doing nothing. Now I know those guys actually do something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

wrenchpuller

Hi Kenny,
Glad to hear that your first day was enjoyable, remember this one when you have a bad day. Guess your old employement was well, a "dead end sort of job" Okay sorry, you must have heard those lines too often before (couldn't resist)
Cheers Ric

OP
kennypinkerton
Apparently, it's dying even worst since I left. I just talked with my buddy who still works there... and nearly everything is falling apart. Even the people who are contraced to dig graves are now turning them down because the started using another company to "spread" the non-wealth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I actually am glad I left when I did, and I now feel sorry for those that are still there. I think they are all seeing the light now though, and it will probably get far worse there before if begins to get better.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
So, does this mean I can no longer aim my car at the guys standing around holding a shovel upright? hehehehe

OP
kennypinkerton
Not in the 10 miles south of tuscaloosa anyway! hehehehehhee. And yes I was holding a shovel upright for about an hour today (interspersed with my filling in spots that the backhoe guy couldn't reach).

R6MGS

Yoda
Congrats, I used to find the first days on a new job to be the worst due to confusion and general uncertainty about the whle thing....So if your liking it now it'll probably get better as you grow more accustomed to it.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Orange barrels,orange barrels, everywhere I see....
hehehehe
Careful, or you'll get stuck supplying cones for the local autocross...
Glad You're likin' it so far. Hope it stays enjoyable.

OP
kennypinkerton
Well, there was a bit of confusion, but I constantly observed and occationationally asked questeions when appropriate, and learned more (that I'll actually use) in one day at this job than I have in the past 10 years! I just tried to be in the mix, and listen hard, and be the go-to guy when it was time to go-to. I never got the chance to drive any of the vehicles 'til after lunch, but then I picked the hardest one to drive - just for the experience.

R

Randi

Hey Kenny we're going to shake & Bake me......dig a hole in the junkyard .....put me in the drivers seat of Maggie and secretly bury me just like they did toxic waste all over Louisiana!! I promised my sister a treasure map and a shovel..LOL Randi

OP
kennypinkerton
OK, that's weird. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif But we once had a guy that wanted to be buried in his 18 wheeler cab/truck... when they told him it would be well over $15K and that theyd have to strip the truck of fuel tanks and engine (for enviro concerns), he changed his mind.

OP
kennypinkerton
Probably less, because you'd likely only need 4 cemetery spaces insted of 8-12 or so needed for a truck (and the grave could probably be close to normal depth as apposed to being 15 foot deep to cover the cab of a peterbuilt), but theyd still have to remove the engine and the gas tank.