• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

One Shot - One Kill!

Bret

Yoda
Stalking the target took several mind numbing weeks of waiting & watching, because previous attempts had failed. My intended target was indeed a wily & crafty opponent. So I patently observed habits and tried to establish any behavior patterns.

Well, fast forward to today I decided that I had enough intel on the target and that it was time to take him out. So as the “target” filled my scope & I positioned the cross hairs for a head shot. Taking one last deep breath, I slowly eased it out as I applied pressure on the trigger. As I finished exhaling I applied the last few ounces of pressure to the trigger and fired.

Score! One shot – one kill! Carlos would have been proud of that shot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Walking back into the garage I put the .22cal Air Rifle away and walked into the house to tell my wife that we have one less Ground squirrel to worry about.

Its Miller time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Ground Square? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Ewwwwwww. Catch and release. We trap ours, take them across the JB Bridge, dump them off in STL county.

BUT, if you need more target practice, I still have about 327 of those furry-tailed rats in my yard.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Haven’t tried a anything larger than a .22 Rimfire on a squirrel (ground or tree). Anything larger would be a waste. But I can tell you from personal experience an 8mm is an awesome weapon, but I’m more of a .308/30.06 fan. Actually converted an old ratty K98 to make a really nice .308 Sporter, but truthfully about the only thing left of the original Mauser was the action & bolt.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
In honor of "the british car thing" I have a BSA Enfield, (#1 mk3)made in 1916, a canadian Long Branch (#4 mk1) from 1955,and an aussie enfield (#1 mk#*). All in the standard 303 enfield. Also a springfield garand from 45, and a yugoslav K98. They are all a hoot to shoot, but alas, it has been a long tome for me too.

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
~slips quietly out of this thread~

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
When I see the "Locals" heading out to the hills
with loaded weapons + lots of alcohol.........
...... I think that it's probably best to stay "in town".
- Billy Bob - "Something moved!"
- Jim Bob - "Shoot it"

(Gunfire - shoots dog).
- Billy Bob - "Ain't huntin great!?"
- Jim Bob - "Yeah!"

- Doug

sideache

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
When I see the "Locals" heading out to the hills
with loaded weapons + lots of alcohol.........
...... I think that it's probably best to stay "in town".
- Billy Bob - "Something moved!"
- Jim Bob - "Shoot it"

(Gunfire - shoots dog).
- Billy Bob - "Ain't huntin great!?"
- Jim Bob - "Yeah!"

- Doug

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that may have been a tad bit bigoted, I guess southern folk / country folk are fair game. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
I have never hunted in my life, but have a collection for historical value and use a 200m range (K98 good - smle bad - L1A1 good - M1carbine bad)
No animals and no alcohol for me.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Got rid of my stuff except for a 9mm Browning that I picked up and used in Cambodia, etc. The 13 rounds was very important.

Never killed any animals with it, hehe.

V

vagt6

Please remind me to stay out of range of Bret's yard, or at least away from his squirrel population!

Strange . . . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Nunyas
Ground squirrel= groundhog= woodchuck
Pesky rodents. dig giant holes that are dangerous to livestock. or if they start digging under a foundation, it can cause serious problems.
Plenty of them around here. want some more practice?
I believe in live and let live, unless it's on my turf! then it's "asta la vista baby"!

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
When I lived in northern Minnesota, we had a couple of red squirrels that took up living in our attic. If you aren't familiar with them, they can reek havoc with insulation and wiring. One day, I took my .22 and waited. Sure enough, one stuck it's little head out and instantaneously took a dirt nap. Of course, it's mate had to see what happened and very shortly joined it's mate.

Has anyone tried the new .17 caliber? I hear that it is an extremely flat shooting, high (for it's size) power cartridge. It is a necked down .22 Winchester Magnum.

Squirell = tree rat.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Roger that Banjo.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Must agree as well. Vermin can live outside my perimeter. Inside the compound they face "overwhelming force."

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've an old friend who lives in Delta Junction, Alaska...when he was an avid hunter, he'd leave on a Mountain Sheep hunt with only 1 bullet - if he missed, he came home empty handed...I always thought that was sporting of him; kinda dumb but sporting!