• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Zippo Vintage GP At Watkins!!!

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I'm posting this here in the Pub as the national events forum sometimes gets glanced over.
It seems that a number of us will be at the Zippo Vintage Grand Prix in Watkins Glen this weekend.
So far I know we have
Dave "Dar100"
Bob "Monkeywrench"
John "Banjosbro" (my brother)
Tim "valvefloatlimited" Not a very active member, but I know he'll be there
And Myself.
I'd say if you've never been there, and are on the fence about going, you won't be dissapointed.
Come on up and relive the hayday of sportscars. there will literally be thousands of LBCs lining the side streets of Watkins.( I am NOT stretching that number) Most of them not even part of the "show" but all are part of the event on Friday.
It's an amazing experience. and that's not even the actual Vintage race event at the Track!!!
so whos coming! pipe up! to the festival on friday, or the race on saturday and or sunday, or both. And we'll show 'em how great our little village is in the world that most of the folks at this festival are all trying to be part of!
Next year I want to have a banner and a cooler for fellow BCFers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

D

Deleted member 3577

Going to Mid-Ohio this weekend...

Otherwise I'd be up for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
Dave, were you at the Brat Bash at Mid-O a couple of years ago? I remember a red Pinto spinning just after exiting the carousel.
Jeff

D

Deleted member 3577

Nope.....Not me.

I usually spin at the keyhole /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

(although turn 7 is another of my favorites for misadventures) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

D

Deleted member 3577

That what they're calling 7 nowadays...

I know when your there.....You might as well relax.

Too bad it is so hard to find a waiter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
OK back on topic!
I'm back home tonight from the race. There's still more racing tomorrow, but I'm otherwise occupied so today was it for me.
Between friday (the festival) and today (the race) We've had the best weather we've seen in a month. And the turnout showed it.
I've got a camara full of pics, and I'll get 'em uploaded soon.
I got to meet Monkeywrench, briefly, but it was still fun. Hope your crew is having fun Bob.
and I saw Dar100, but diden't manage to say Hi.
I wish I could get a count of all the cars I saw. Everything from Unipowers, Minis of all descriptions, MG, Trimphs, Healys, Jensens, TVRs, Griffins and Jaguars to Masaratis, Ferraris, Bugatties, Lotusus, Allards, Devans, Turners, Shelbys, Lolas, McKees, Listers, AMC Javlins, Vettes,
and on and on....
Gawd I love Vintage weekend!!!
The Trans AM and Can Am groups where jaw dropping to watch! It was like being transported to 1971.
OK I'm done.... really...
and Porches, Mercedes, Alfas, BMWs, Fords, Daimlers, Siatas, Chapperals, Rileys, Studz,..........

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
We get the idea Banjo... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

My weekend is so boring in comparison, my last two weekends have been rather pathetic actually... I certainly don't have access to even close to that number of neat cars, and I am rather jealous of you folks who live out there in the land of sports cars.

Enjoy anyway, I'd so love to be there with my camera, I'm a little depressed now actually at the thought of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'll get over it though, I suppose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

R

Randi

HURRAY BANJO YOU LUCKY DEVIL!!!!hope you had a wonderful time !!!Randi

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Like I was saying, On friday I navigated for my friend in his Superformance Cobra during the Glenora run rally. We were in a group of 4 Superformance Cobras, and 4 Shelby GT350-500s (pics of that group soon). They were all Nuts! we were definatly travelling above the posted limit for a good portion of the rally (that's all I'm gonna say) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif. but here's a short clip taken from my camera during one of our "parade" laps of the old course during the festival downtown.It starts at the old start-finish line, and goes through the first 2 corners.
For those who don't know, from 1948-1950 the track was just blocked off streets, including Franklin St.(the main drag through town) and they recreate this at the festival every year.
Cobra Video
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Edit: The tire squeal you hear in the second corner is understeer from the Shelby GT500 that was following us

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Darn, sent chills up and down my back.

jimkellogg887

Freshman Member
Yes, it sent chills down my spine, too! Nice video, but wish it could have been a little longer.
Glad you came along for the ride ;-) Great fun with an awesome group of cars for the weekend.
Jim Kellogg

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Nice vid clip. And nice event.

My older daughter and her husband were there and had a good time.
We couldn't make it because I was racing at Pocono with my other son-in-law....anyway, our family had a racy weekend!

I've driven the old street course a bunch of times, most recently in a Subie wagon.
It's amazing to think of old Walter Cronkite and the rest of them wailing down that hill (before it turns right onto the road Smalley's is on) in a T-series MG with those tiny drum brakes. Men were men in those days!

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hey Banjo, I didn't see you. I ran in the other rally around the lake, there were about 100 roadsters, some were newer, not all vintage, but plenty of Healeys, my son and I had an absolute blast, the car ran great. At the end they let us on the old track for 2 1/2 laps, police barricade even...WOW.

We did the car show at the track on Saturday; they let us onto the track for two laps there...

I've got video clip of going thru downtown with the crowds screaming, I'll try and download over the weekend, the tire squeal is mine! The adrenalin rush was crazy!

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Glad you had fun Dave. I saw you wheeling down Franklin street... But I diden't get a chance to search you out afterwards.
Jim, (if you guys haden't guessed, he owns the Cobra) Thanks so much for the ride!!! A day to remember!
Sorry you missed it aeronca. Sounds like you were having fun though.
I often marveled at racing any part of that original course in those old racers. Especially something like a TC or an Allard. that took guts.
Millikans corner is the one at the bottom of the hill. that had to be scary.
Tere were several TCs running it this weekend.