• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rear Ends

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ok, get your minds out of the gutter. I'm looking for a book, website, article, or general information on swapping rear ends (differentials) on my TR7. The wedgeshop makes a Ford unit that bolts up but is about $1000 more than I want to spend and about $1300 more than I have. I read an article a year or 2 ago about someone who used an old mail Jeep diff in an MG. Some use Dana 35 and is about the right size. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. The rear end is the next on my "to do" list. (Stop snickering) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Snicker.

snickers.jpg

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yes, the old mail jeeps did have a Dana rear end - & they'll bolt under an MGB with minor modifications...& there are lots of gear ratios available for that rear end....finding it is the trick!

I think Dana 35 came on willys jeeps too.

OP
mailbox

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
snickers.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I SAID NO SNICKERING. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What I really need to know is how to adapt one under a TR7. I would never be so lucky as to have it bolt up. As far as finding one, hey I'm the mailman. I've got a parking lot to choose from. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, choose carefully - some of those old Jeeps didn't have the Dana...once you get it out, you'll see how easily it goes under an MGB - don't know about TR7...how many can we come get?

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
ya know, this topic is a whole can of worms just waiting to be spilled. All this talk about Dana and her rear ends...

ok ok ok, bad me!

There's some ~really~ neat info here that I didn't know before. I had no clue that a Dana 35 would fit a MGB. That's good to know info if I ever find my self seeking a new axle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OP
mailbox

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
ok ok ok, bad me!

There's some ~really~ neat info here that I didn't know before. I had no clue that a Dana 35 would fit a MGB. That's good to know info if I ever find my self seeking a new axle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When I read in the paper about someone stealing a bunch of post office Jeep parts, I'll know who to turn to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Try a first-gen RX-7 rear (better wiht disc brakes and the optional LSD).
On Spridgets, these rears need to have the axles shortened 6" and resplined (Moser is your best bet for this job). Probably need to be shortened on TR-7s too.
The Mazda rear will hold 150 HP easy.
I'm planning on doing this (on Spridget) this Winter).

https://the-mite.com/mite22.htm

OP
mailbox

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I found the article I was looking for about postal jeep diffs in MGB's. If anyone is interested in a copy, I'll be glad to email it to you. It comes in PDF form. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If it tells me which jeep to look for, I'd like a copy!

OP
mailbox

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
On the way.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Got it, thanks...now I've got to crawl up under a bunch of jeeps if I want one....interestingly, the article said the 3.07:1 was the rear end for Rover transmissions...as I'm using a TR8 transmission, I installed an MGC 3.07:1 rear end...so, I might be alright with my setup.

...still.....

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, that's just over the mountain - I ned to run over there!