• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

No longer looking for a job...

...but I've gotten a couple good interviews. Best one was yesterday... The guy actually told me I was tops on his list of applicants. I'm waiting for a call back from him after he does my motor vehicle driving record - which is squeaky clean by the way. Excellent pay too - about $3 more an hour than what I get now. Work Monday through Friday during the day. On-call one week a month (during the evenings) for emergencies. The job - Working for a small water company with 1500 customers. They're gonna help me get a CDL, and a state water certification, and train me how to operate a backhoe and a dumptruck. The main reason he liked me over everyone else, is that I've had the same last job for over 10 years. He wants someone that's going to stick around. Sounds like a very good job to me, and it's with a small growing company - Only 4 or 5 co-workers to get to know. And I get to work outside, but without a business suit on for a change. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

One other job that seemed promising (they sent me for a drug test) was loading the new mercedes SUVs onto trains... less pay an hour than I make now, but lots of overtime. But, it's been 2 weeks since the test, and I haven't heard back from them (but I don't take drugs), so I don't know if they were just putting me into a pool where they draw from when someone quits, or what happened with them.

Oh, and thanks to steve for the contact in birmingham, but the closest job they had was 50+ miles away from me. I do appreciate the help though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

So far, I must have put in at least 50 applications, and mailed/faxed my resume to another 15 or so companies. 2 interviews outta the whole bunch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I didn't realize how difficult it was to get a decent paying job these days... Of course this is the first time in 13 years that I've actually had to look for one either.

Wish me luck. I'm really hoping for the local water company job. After the interview yesterday, I feel really good about it.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Re: Still looking for a job...

Sounds like this water company job might be the one. Since my son got out of college for forensics, he has been looking for a federal job in that field because it's so expensive to live in the metro NY area. He's working for the NY City police dept. in their forensics lab now, but the pay isn't as much as the private pharmacutical lab he used to work at. He took a cut in pay for the criminal lab experience. It's not easy to find a job these days. He's been on interviews all over the country, from Colorado to Texas to Virginia and lots of points in between. In a few weeks he has another interview in Rhode Island.

He'll eventually get something he's happy with, and so will you. Just keep plugging away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

Country flag

Good luck.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

kenny, appears promising! sounds like youd truely enjoy working outdoors without a tie on i know i do, i just came across something through a buddy of mine if this doesnt work out or you need something to hold you over while your waiting,i believe this company is set up across the u.s. it wont hurt to make a call to find out!ill give you a contact number and discription of the job via. a private message. good luck in the meantime. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Hey Kenny,

Good luck ! i know what it like waiting for the phone to ring. I have a pretty good job but am always on the lookout for something better, Just so happens that one has sorta dropped in my lap via a family member. So i sent off my resume to the contact individual, should have had it on his desk monday morning. This would be a fantastic job, and in on the ground floor to boot....word thru the vine is may at least get an interview.....c'monphone..ring......Ring.......RING!

mark

OP
kennypinkerton
Got one of the jobs!!

Well, today the phone rang and it was the rail loader job at Mercedes (company is actually contracted to mercedes to do the rail loading and install optional equipment like stereos and brush bars). I accepted it over the phone, and will start on the 11th of next month. Unless....

I'm still waiting for the phone call from the Waterworks, and when he calls me, I'll be taking that one instead... getting a CDL, a state certification for water treatment, and learning to operate a backhoe and a dumptruck sound like a lot better set of skill building opportunities to me. Plus the extra pay is nice too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But considering I just talked with him yesterday, and he still has to get my driving record, so I figure I'll hear from him next week.

But the first offer has allowed me to go ahead and put in my 2 weeks notice at work. I was nervous, but my manager said he didn't blame me, as he knows my situation. He's actually been expecting it. and he wished me good luck.

I'm still nervous about leaving the job I've been at for 13 years to pursue something completely different. I guess after 13 years at one place you kind of get a mental comfort zone going. Oh, well. I'm gonna miss working there.

Re: Got one of the jobs!!

ok Great Congrats... now <u>You</u> make <u>MY</u> phone ring. LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mark

OP
kennypinkerton

What's yer number? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Seriously though, I've been at this for 2 months to find an "entry level" non-funeral business related job (I'm a funeral director until the 6th of next month) that pays $25,000 or more a year. Searching and applying for jobs at the rate I have been, has been more exhausting than actually working at a job - mentally emotionally and physically. I'm finally glad to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

For those who haven't seen any of my other posts... My current employer decided to cut back everyone's hours to just 40 hours a week. I had been averaging about 15-17 hours a week overtime during the past 13 years. It resulted in me losing exactly 1/3 of my annual salary.

G

Kenny, congrats.

fwiw swmbo started a new job a couple of weeks ago after nearly 12 years. Its not so bad after the first day or so...

Howard_The_Duck

Jedi Warrior

I know how you felt Kenny. Although not employed nearly as long as you.

But with my old job transferring me an hour away and only giving me a 2000 a year raise, it was a nightmare. I spent more than that in gas going to and from work! Not to mention the fact that 2 hours of my day were wasted!

With this new job, I got a significant pay raise and alot less travelling. I also got a company car, expense reimbursement, laptop and Crackberry. heck, considering I quit college, that's amazing. Especially in these parts.

I just had to keep my nose to the grinder. Im glad you got something to help you out!

Take care!
/zack

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Kenny,
Take the water job. Might make more moving cars, but you will have a lot more skills learned with the water company. Not just anyone can operate a backhoe, any dope can drive a car. $0.02 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Way to go, Kenny - either job sounds g4reat...in one you get to drive new Mercedes, in the other you get to drive heavy equipment...sounds like every little boy's dreams...now you don't have to grow up....hehehehehe

OP
kennypinkerton
Actually, there's more money being offered in the Waterworks job... That's the one I want too.

kyreb1862

Jedi Knight
You'll love dump trucks and back hoes. I spent 28 years as a highway construction inspector for ky state gov. Got squeezed out by the new administration but even though I like retirement I still miss the job. Good Luck Kenny! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

R6MGS

Yoda
Nice Work Kenny...I know you wanted something else and these both sound like good jobs.
BTW: I noticed your brief absence...For the first time ever I am ahead in the top posters lists! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

D

Deleted member 3577

[ QUOTE ]
learning to operate a backhoe and a dumptruck sounds like a lot better

[/ QUOTE ]
2 full days and you should be good to go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I actually like playing with mine. (JD 615)

Best of luck with the new job Kenny. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Kenny, that's the best news! I've been thinking about you and your job situation. I'm so glad you're moving forward now! And good luck with the water company. Give them a call and let them know how interested you are in working with them if you don't hear anything this week!

Congratulations!

Mark, sending good vibes your way for that 'phone call!'

Bugeye58

Yoda
Glad you found something, Kenny, and doubly glad you may have a choice!
I took my current job 17 months ago, as a contract employee, supposedly only to be that way for two months. Then the company initiated a hiring freeze, so I stayed contract. At the end of July, the North American President for the corp. came back from Germany, and essentially said, "Hire Jeff, now." So, even though the freeze is still in place, I actually beat the system for a change!
I wish you well, my friend.
Mark, I think you must be next!!
My fingers are crossed, (as well of everything else I have two of,) for you both.
Jeff