• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rack & Pinion Conversion Healey 3000 1964

R&M

Just looking through my latest edition of Hemmings and found an ad for 64 3000Mk III with rack & pinion steering.
??Is anyone aware of an available conversion for Big Healey's??
Thanks
R&M
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Randy_Gay

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'm not aware of a commercially available conversion. It's a fairly complex project. You can check out the modified site if you want more information.

OP
R

R&M

Thanks,
I saw the ad for the Healey in Hemmings and wondered if anyone was aware of a commecially avaible conversion as my Triumph will out handle my Healey in a heart beat with the rack & pinion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Michael Salter (Precision Sports Car in Canada) did this conversion from an MG B. An image is attached. More info is available at Larry Varley's website https://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ahx12-1.html

Michael did at least think about making a conversion kit available, but I don't know if he did or not. You might want to check with him: msalter@precisionsportscar.com

Hope that helps.

Lin
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugeye

Attachments

• 239847-Image40.jpg
    239847-Image40.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 374

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
as my Triumph will out handle my Healey in a heart beat with the rack & pinion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure how you define "handling". Ability to go around corners quickly, steering responsiveness to small changes, braking ability, general perception of "feel", or what? All are part of handling. It's rather subjective & defined differently by different drivers.

If you are comparing the later model Healey to the Spitfire, the weight & size differences alone will make a huge difference in feel/handling of the two cars. The rack & pinion steering would likely make little difference in the Healey's feel, certainly minimal difference in overall handling.

The steering gear ratios, turns lock to lock, make a tremendous difference in responsiveness to small steering wheel inputs. The Spitfire likely has a faster steering ratio than the later Healeys. Early Healeys had a quicker steering ratio than the later models & combined with less weight, a different feel. Overall handling is not that much different.

Rack & pinion steering is often used on Healey V8 conversions since it has less bulk, takes up less engine compartment room, & the steering column can be easily U jointed to go around engine parts.

For all out, at the limit, driving R&P does give a little better feel, & can be more easily modified for optimum steering geometry in a competition car.
D

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What R & M means Dave,is when you give the Rumph a bit of handle the back end comes around quicker.--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yes Patton, I think so.Also, there was a young Chap up in The State of Wasington that put a Wankel Engine and a R&P in a 100 including a BJ8 wooden dash. Can't remember his name at the moment and have not heard from him in years. Test runs indicated the car was very stable and faster than a speeding bullet-no red line on that engine you know--Keoke

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
I believe I read that R&P steering was considered for the original AH 100. The designers felt that the R&P units available at the time, although cheaper, would have marginal strength for the application & so went with the other arrangement.
D

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Probably so Dave. However, you know DMH wanted a V8 engine so bad he could taste it but nobody would sell him one.I think perhaps the R & P thing may be in that same catagory.Contrastingly, Jensen obviously had no problem obtaining the Chrysler Hemi for their cars. Ford also sold V8 engines to other british car makers, so who knows what really went on back there other than a lot of people in the British Motoring enclave made a lot of bad decisions IMOP.--Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI zblu, Thanks I put that one in my file.Way too much work for this young fellar though.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif