• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A coupla pics for the aviation buffs

William

Darth Vader
[image] [/image]

[image] [/image]

B-17G "Nine 'O Nine" and B-24 "Witchcraft". Both planes appeared at DuPage Airport today (tomorrow and Monday as well). Dad and I drove the MG over to have a look around, sadly we couldn't afford the $375 or so donation it costs to take a ride (in fact, Witchcraft flew over the house about fifteen minutes ago). I may go back over there tomorrow afternoon (I'll have to scam off work to do so) and watch 'em take off again.

Nice planes. Got a bunch of photos. Thought y'all would like to see 'em.

-Wm.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
They were in Huntsville a month or so ago...I also thought the $375 was a bit steep...but, the old-timer WWII vets jumped on them - nostalga, I guess.....though I have no desire to hop in a Huey or Chinook!

I'd ride in the b-17... One of my favorite WWII aircraft.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
One in SPI this week, "aluminum overcast", they wanted $400. I'd pay a grand for a Spitfire or a Hawker Typhoon. Grandpa flew Typhoons for 609 sqn RAF, and mosquitos in WWII.
William, if you ever make it down to Springfield, the Air Combat Museum here has p51, corsair, b25, all working and flown often, nothing like the sound of a P51 flying at 500 ft agl over the house.

G

Actually since you mention P51s I was lucky enough to be in Wanaka (NZ) a few years ago, as part of a month long trip to NZ and Aus.

They have a dual control P51 that you can take a ride in (and take the controls). It's not cheap, but it is a rush that's for sure. The guy I took the trip with is a yank and he was creaming to go, so I had to too. Waaay cool. Hot (you are sat on the rad) and cramped - especially if like me you are 6'2 and heavy.

Oh and if you ever ever ever find somewhere the same with a spit, let me know. Please...

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
To my knowledge, there's only a couple of spits still flying, 1 dual and one single. Heartbreaking really.

Hot? Hotter than an LBC firewall?

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I wouldn't have to think twice about forking over $375 to ride a 17. It's one of the things I want to do before I die, that and ride shotgun with the Blue Angels or the ThunderBirds(hey, I'm not picky), drive something that cost more than my house VERY fast, etc, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

The dual spit is owned by Carolyn Grace. Interesting story if you care to read about it.

And yes the back seat of the P51 is hotter than an LBC firewall. I felt sick from the heat during the aerobatic part of the flight. My LBC doesn't do that to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

swift6

Yoda
Actually, there is a dual seat (trainer) Spitfire in Colorado. Its in Aspen and the mechanic for it is here in Fort Collins. The mechanic has followed the plane from England, to Canada and then here to Colorado. I've had the privelege of sitting in both the front and rear seats, but only on the ground. The same mechanic has seen the plane go through three owners. I've been at the airport when he arrives and leaves after inspections and maintenance. He buzzes the runway, gear up and full throttle at about twenty feet. Spine tingling. I queried the mechanic once about how many Spitfires were still flying and he said loads. When I pressed harder he said he knew of about 25 or so.

The same mechanic also restored a Dragonfly (37 litre Griffon V-12) a few years ago and won a Golden Wrench award at Osh Kosh for it. Just this year he finished the restoration of a Hawker Hurricane that is destined to be part of the Lone Star Aviation museum in Texas. He has another Hurricane fuselage in his hanger as well.

I met him through local British car contacts. His pride and Joy is a 1933 Alvis Speed Six that he built the body for. All the switch gear and guages are WWII aircraft items. He also has an Aston Martin DB5, an older Aston Martin Earls Court show car from David Browns early association with the company (sadly this car is in pieces), a Triumph TR3 and TR6 and a couple of older Rovers. One of which is a 75, the other is a pre-war car that I have only seen once. His personal aircraft project is the restoration of his Aeronca.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
His personal aircraft project is the restoration of his Aeronca.

Now there's a smart fellow! Warbirds are cool but ~WARBUGS~ are better for us "little people". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

For what it's worth, you can fly in a dually P-51 (really, a "TF-51") at Kissimmee in Florida. A friend of mine did it....big bucks.
https://www.stallion51.com

I've seen "9-0-9" She's a beaut and when all those round motors are humming.....music to my ears!

My secretary's step-Dad is Charley Fox,a very famous Canadian Spitfire pilot who shot up Rommel in WW II. Charley just did a show on this for Public Television.

https://www.canadaka.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=505

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
That is the funniest thing I've ever seen.
What color is adrenaline?

Great video. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've seen that before but it always makes me laugh out loud....

Heck I ducked here in the livingroom - hehehehehe.

T

TRDejaVu

What I like is that he obviously knows that he is going to be buzzed and he smiles when he has finished doing the commentary, but he didn't think it would be that close. That is one heck of a Pilot and he can also cut grass at the same time. Somebody had mentioned that the Pilot was Ray Hanna, ex-leader of the RAF Red Arrows aerobatic team. As I mentioned, I have a bigger version where I also brought the sound level up. If anyone wants a copy let me know (6.5MB zipped).

Now, on a much larger scale. A guy I used to work with took this shot of a VC10 (competitor to and similar size as the old Boeing 707) as it made its opening fly past at an airshow in the UK in the 70's. I used to work on the old "Iron Duck" as we called it.

Attachments

• 237161-BAVC10Verylow.jpg
    237161-BAVC10Verylow.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 95

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
How'd he keep the speed up at that low level so that the landing gear warnings didn't go off?

crj7driver

Jedi Trainee
Generally, landing gear warnings are a combination of low throttle settings and flap configuration. As long as you have the power and flaps up you will not get any warnings. The only way the airplane would know it is close to the ground is via a radar altimeter or ground prox database of which the Spitfire never had to my knowledge.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yeah, but that VC10 in 'TRDejaVu's' post does have ground prox database!