• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Turning radius

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
64bj8 II. Will this madness ever stop?

My neighbor runs a Firestone store and knows a lot about cars. (even old cars, like a healey) He noticed that my right tire was pointing to the left abit. So we jacked up the car and he made an adjustment by turning the two nuts on the cross rod bar. Now both tires point strait. We took the steering wheel off and set it so the 3 spoke is set with one spoke at 12.

So I installed the two rock shields. Then turned the wheels to make sure they don't rub them. To my surprise, I find turning the wheel to the left goes much more that turning to the right.

When I clocked it at the steering wheel, I started with 12. Turning the steering wheel to the left it made one full turn then stopped at 3. Turning the steering wheel to the right, one full turn, then stopping at 5.

What's going on?
Are there any adjustments I need to make.
If so, how do I do them?
Roger

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Roger: Your neighbor adjusted the center-rod for toe (angle) and probably incorrectly since this should be done using something other that the unaided eye-ball. Count the exposed threads on the center-rod’s right and left joints and compare the numbers. When the Healey’s suspension is complete and roadworthy have it properly aligned ASAP. Set toe-in at 1/8in. (confirm recommendation). Make an appointment with Roger Kraus Racing in Hayward – they’re one of the best. Send me a PM or call if you have questions or concerns. And beware of helpful neighbors (especially during Friday happy hour!) GONZO

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Adjust Toe-in first then find someplace you can drive straight and stop safely like a large parking lot. Remove the circlip on the steering wheel and readjust so the spoke is 12 o'clock (you need to pull the wheel off far enough, rotate slightly and replace on the splines). Double check the measurement a few times before replacing the circlip (you can keep the steering wheel from coming off during the testing by tightening the adjusting collar securely).

Cheers,
John

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thanks Gonzo, John.
Is the turning radius related to the two nuts on the cross rod bar?

What makes the wheels stop from turning more?
Why does it turn so much more to the left?

Do I have two different things going on here?
Toe angle and turning radius. Or does toe dictate trun radius?

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Roger: Bumps stops, incorporated into the steering arm, limit the "turing radius" and how far the steering wheel may turn. Adjusting the tie rods without the proper equipment, as you described, could pull one of the steering arms more in-board and allow it to make contact with its bump stop sooner. Using a wider tire may also cause some interference and limit turning radius by rubbing fender wells or your newley installed front inner fender shields. Have your friend at Firestone arrange for a proper wheel alignment at their facility or call Roger Kraus Racing. They race-prep a number of vintage race cars and know Healeys. 109F in San Ramon yesterday. It's hot! Try to stay cool man. GONZO

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Hi Roger,

There is a limit to the turning built into the steering box. There are also stops on the swivel pin and swivel axle but I don't think those come into play (otherwise you would see a lot of wear on the stops)

The cross rod has left hand threads on one end and right hand threads on the other. When adjusting toe-in (1/16 to 1/8") you loosen the lock nut on each ball joint and rotate the bar to increase or decrease the toe on both wheels at the same time. You don't remove the ball rod and turn it independently. You should have the same amount of thread showing on each end .. if not it's best to remove the cross rod assembly completely, remove the ball joints and screw them on an equal number of turns on both sides before reinstalling and setting the Toe-in.

My guess is your eyeballing of straight ahead and the location of your steering wheel is off. It is important to settle the suspension by rolling the car forward for a good distance after lowering the car to the ground and then set toe-in accurately. Then you must also drive the car in a straight line to set the wheel at 12. If you are off 5 or 10 degrees you will get a discrepancy with the number of turns left and right that you are seeing right now. (you should be getting just a little over 1 1/2 revolutions of the steering wheel in each direction)

Cheers,
John