• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spash guard gap

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
64bj8 II. Installing the splash guard. I'm tweaking to get the gap as close and consistent to the shroud as can be. The closest gap seems to be near the parking lights. I can make the gap as close as I want, by elongating the slots in the bumper brackets that bolt to the frame, in order to slide the bumper closer to the car.

What would be the closest gap I should make? 1/4, 1/2, 1 inch, bigger, smaller? Thank you, Roger

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Again for what it's worth, my gap is about 3/4 of an inch between the splash guard and the shroud, a little more on the passenger side. My biggest challenge was getting the bumper so that it was equal distance from both the right and left fenders and so that it was both level to the shroud and to the ground (not always possible to have it level to both on a Healey).

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
My guard does not follow exactly the contour of the shroud. If the closes point, example 1/2" gap at the parking lights, the middle of the guard/shroud will be about 3/4".

Shorn, I spent a lot of time with a round file. Elongating the opening where ever the bolts would go. That would let it slide it right to left, to address the equal distance to right and left wings. To adjust the gap guard to shroud, the elongating the holes where it bolts to the frame lets me move it forward or back. Level to the ground was tweaking the bars that bolt to the bumper. I also used some large washers as spacers to help as needed. We will not go into how many hours spent on that project. And it's not done yet as I am asking for advise to finish the tweaking. Roger

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Roger,

The concours guidelines says the front apron should be separated from the shroud by a uniform gap of no more the 3/4 to 1". (bumper brackets are slotted where they bolt to the frame to permit this adjustment.)

Cheers,
John

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
John, thank you. I had to grind amost every slot to make my front and rear bumpers fit right. Sometimes I feel I'm the only one things happen to. But I know different. A restoration is a labor of love, and patience, and persistance and money, and blah blah blah. Roger

John Loftus

Darth Vader
[ QUOTE ]
A restoration is a labor of blah blah blah. Roger

[/ QUOTE ]

Took the words right out of my mouth! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
My guard does not follow exactly the contour of the shroud. If the closes point, example 1/2" gap at the parking lights, the middle of the guard/shroud will be about 3/4".

[/ QUOTE ]

AUSMHLY, that is about as god as you can get it. The shape of the shroud and the splash pans at the ends{Outboard of the parking lights] are not the same.---Keoke