• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tour de France

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
I always watch this with some interest, and was very impressed by my namesake Michael Rasmussen, who had a great ride the day before yesterday to c;aim the King of the Mountain jersey.
Almost wrote his (our)name in chalk on my driveway!

Floyd Landis was fantastic yesterday.

My daughter is a serious cyclist, ranked fourth in the country (Zimbabwe) last year, racing in 50 to 100 mile road races.
Does anyone else follow the sport?

Simon.

crj7driver

Jedi Trainee
I have been following it since I was about 10, I have a signed (Bernard Hinault) La Vie Claire jersey hanging on my wall. I used to race and be descent, just trying to get back to that level but work and life are plotting against me.

Yesterdays ride was very good though.

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
I can't say I really follow the sport but I do always watch the Tour de France.

I can't really say that I'm an avid cyclist either, but I do try to get in 20-30 miles on a weekend or more. I would do more if I had more time but, well, you know. I used to ride my bike every day when I was in college but it is a little more difficult now. I tell everyone that I would love to still ride everyday, but I haven't found a good way to strap a compound mitre saw on my road bike!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I had a hard time finding someone to cheer for at the beginning of this Tour because all the greats that I was(somewhat) familiar with were all either retired or banned! I've been really impressed with Robbie McEwan and his run for the green jersey and I've been trying to cheer for the French riders but they have never been in serious contention. Overall however, this has been an exciting Tour with all the swapping of positions and such.

JACK

OP
Simon TR4a

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
I always used to cheer for Jan Ulrich, a sort of permanent underdog to Lance Armstrong.
I hope he is cleared of the allegations, but that may take so long it will only save his reputation, not his career. With a 2 year ban for the first offence cycling is one of the sports which really takes doping seriously.
Simon.

ecurie_ecosse

Luke Skywalker
Le Tour de France has been the cycling event I have followed from a distance for years.This year has been phenomenal,and Floyd Landis is amazing!!
I cycle a fair bit,doing the odd century,but generally doing
40 -60 miles a week.
I think it's a disease,like LBC's.Once you get it there is no known cure!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Stuart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif (wishful thinking.)

Steve_S

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
I have a signed (Bernard Hinault) La Vie Claire jersey hanging on my wall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool!!! La Vie Claire is one of the greatest teams in history, imho. All the names I grew up with are gone now. Greg Lemond, Bernard Hinault, Laurent Fignon, Urs Zimmermann, Andy Hampsten, Steven Rooks, Jean-François Bernard, Charly Mottet, Luis Herrera, Steve Bauer, Joop Zoetemelk, Dag-Otto Lauritzen, Phil Anderson, Stephen Roche, Johan Van der Velde, Bob Roll, Ron Kiefel, Eric Boyer, Thierry Marie, Sean Yates, Alex Stieda, Eric Heiden, Chris Carmichael, Eric Heiden, Ron Kieffel... ok that's enough.

And who can forget the great teams of the era... La Vie Claire, System U, Carerra, KAS, Panasonic, PDM, 7-Eleven, Cafe De Colombia, Reynolds, and the rest.

Those were the days. And if you can't guess, yes I did grow up racing bicycles. I raced Veledrome (track), road, time trial, mountain bike and cyclocross before career got in the way.

ecurie_ecosse

Luke Skywalker
Yes indeed,those were the days!! That list is impressive.I have additions,Tommy Simpson and "Big Mig" Miguel Indurian.
And 'The Cannibal" Eddie Merccx.But I admit to thinking Marco Pantani was a great one too.Have you given up riding Steve?

Stuart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Country flag

Steve_S

Yoda
Merckx was before my time and Indurain was never really a favorite of mine. The '84-90 tours were my favorites by far, especially '86. I must have watched the entire thing 10 times on VHS, all 6 hours of coverage.

I haven't been on a bike for a real ride in years. But for some reason I still consider myself a cyclist and every day I plan to get on the bike. I guess it's just in my blood.

I started racing on the veledrome when I was 11. I had an old Paris Sport track bike with 24" wheels. It was built by Dave Moulton before he started his own company in the 70's. My riding shorts were given to me by the father of an Argentinian racing family of three boys. My mother sewed a lycra jersey together for me. The first time on the track I was wearing a hockey helmet someone loaned me. Try getting away with that today!

ecurie_ecosse

Luke Skywalker
My first helmet was just padded leather straps,you wouldn't get away with that,nor the hockey helmet today.I started racing in the late 1950's--early sixties.The technology of cycling is vastly improved today,and though I don't race,I really enjoy riding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif It is certainly in my blood. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
Those were called "hairnet" helmets. The incident at the Encino Veledrome where Rod Ballard was killed (1985?) directly led to the ban of hairnets within the USCK and other organizations.

ecurie_ecosse

Luke Skywalker
And that was a good thing too. Modern helmets are much more protective than those "hairnets".

ecurie_ecosse

Luke Skywalker
Re: And... How quickly they fall

It is a sad thing indeed. But after I've been on my bike I would say the testosteron levels will have gone up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif(don't ask) Everything now hinges on that "B" test.Perhaps it will be clear.

[ QUOTE ]
It is a sad thing indeed. But after I've been on my bike I would say the testosteron levels will have gone up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif(don't ask)------------------- especially along "ipanema beach" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

ecurie_ecosse

Luke Skywalker

[ QUOTE ]
especially along "ipanema beach" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Ah how right you are!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

On a serious note: what ever happened to being innocent
till proven guilty?? Thrown out with the bath water?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Steve_S

Yoda

I'd say it was sad except that every rider in the peleton of the Tour De France is using some sort of illegal performance enhancement. I'm just suprised that someone with his financial and political backing actually got caught. Even Lance got away clean when they specifically targeted him. Lemond was never even suspected but practically admited he did the same thing.