• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pertronix - Pros & Cons - Video & Pics

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Suggestions were made that I should switch over to a Pertronix (sp) as my car is still running a bit off.

Fill me in if you could.

Paul Slice

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Re: Petronix - Pros & Cons

Pros:
no points to adjust
no condenser to go bad
not as sensitive to worn dizzy shafts
rock steady timing
install and forget
easier starting

Cons:
if it fails you call a tow truck
cost more than a tune up kit

that being said, I have Ignitors on my 3 British cars and have had no problems but I still carry the points and related items in the glove box just in case.
I highly recomend the Ignitor.

Paul

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Check out the website www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets. They have alot of good Pertronix stuff, and some of the best deals on it that I've ever seen.

What you'll want to do is to make sure there's nothing wrong with your distributor. Make sure the weights and springs are free, that the vacuum advance works, and that the shaft is tight and doesn't wobble. Check your points and condensor to make sure they're set up correctly and not worn out.

My belief is that you should try to get your car running correctly with points if possible before switching to electronic ignition. If something else is wrong, electronic ignition might not solve it, and it might not work at all.

The Pertronix Ignitor is a small Hall Effect trigger unit that fits in the dizzy where the points and condensor used to fit. Installation's supposed to be easy, and it only requires that two wires be plugged in. Buying their coil is supposed to help with the unit's longevity, but it will work with a basic Lucas coil.

The advantages are that your car retains its original appearance, the installation is easy, and you no longer have to worry about whether or not you points are out of whack.

The disadvantage that I can think of is that an electronic unit can fail without warning. This doesn't mean that they're trouble-prone, but electronics can go wrong. These units are supposed to give years of trouble-free service, but stuff happens sometimes.

My 25D4 distributor is about to bite the dust and is causing some other problems with the car, like not being able to tune the carbs properly. I've ordered a Pertronix Flame Thrower distributor and the Flame Thrower coil. The dizzy uses a more robust Lucas 45D4 distributor with the Ignitor pre-installed. Just drop in, hook up, set the timing, and you're away. At least, that's what I'm hoping for. It should arrive early next week.

To make a long story short, a Pertronix is supposed to be a good way to make your car more dependable.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

I prefer the Crane unit.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

Link does not work.

Steve_S

Yoda

The only car in our caravan of T-Series MGs that didn't make it the first 1,200 miles from So Cal to Oregon was the one with a Petronics installed. It failed suddenly and without warning and the car went home on a trailer after completing only 75 miles. If you install one of these units, be prepared to completely replace it if something goes wrong. Points usually give lots of warning if something is amiss but electronic ignition will not be so kind. Petronics are supposed to be pretty reliable but they are sensitive to power and can be fried fairly easily. I've thought about getting one on many occasions but I just can't think of a reason to since points have been so good to me. I replace the points, condensor and rotor arm once every few years in each car for a few bucks so it's hard to spend nearly $100 on something that does basically the same job. But if I were to go with electronic ignition, Petronics Ignitor would be the one I would choose for it's nearly original appearence and ease of installation.

[ QUOTE ]
Link does not work.

[/ QUOTE ]

remove the period from the end of the addy

mark

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer the Crane unit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats ok Tony, but it is just a complicated piece of junk IMOP---Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif
Cons: if it fails you call a tow truck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif Just reinstall the points and drive home.

Costs more than a tune up kit: not if you add up all the tune up kits you will buy over the life of a Pertronix. ---Keoke-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Steve_S

Yoda

I'm not convinced a Petronix will outlast enough tune-up kits to make up for the price. I can tune up my car for 10-15 years before I've paid off a Petronix. That doesn't mean it's a bad piece, just that I would never buy one for economical reasons.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag

Keep your points in the glove box!!!!!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

[ QUOTE ]
Thats ok Tony, but it is just a complicated piece of junk IMOP---Keoke

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, that's what I think of the Petronix! I'm going on 13 years on a Crane right now with no problems!

ccougill

Jedi Warrior

I'm running a Crane also and have had no problems with it. I also have a brand new spare unit I got a deal on in the boot. I really don't completely trust any aftermarket electronic ignition 500 miles from home. If you go to petronix get their coil also, seems to work better

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag

I went with the Pertronix because the installation looked easier and everything is contained inside the distributor. The Crane looks like it might be a more sophisticated unit. Personal preference was a big factor in deciding which unit to buy.

Retro Rockets sent me an email to tell me that they weren't going to be able to ship the new dizzy until closer to the end of the month as they're out of stock. It's worth the wait to me.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

Looks like I still need to listen to other but I have some homework to do.

Bret

Yoda

When I had a points car (67 Barracuda) I was changing or cleaning & setting them every 6 months or so. But today I’ve owned my 78 B for almost 8 years and have had zero problems with it in that time. Other than some unrelated issues and general tune-ups I’ve never removed my rotor cap.

In my case I already had the CEI dizzy setup with the external module that was going bad one me. Anyway to replace the module costs the same as two of Pertronix kits. So in my eyes those of us with the later CDI 45DE’s that they are a lot cheaper than the alternative. Especially so if you need to retain the original dizzy setup for emissions issues like here Kalifornia.

Pros: Solid timing checked it frequently but never had to adjust or had any problems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Cons: If you like replacing & setting the points you won't like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

swift6

Yoda

I've been running a Pertronix in my TR6 going on 9 years now. MY TR8 has had a Crane since the original Lucas unit failed nearly twenty years ago. I have had zero problems with either. To be honest though, the Pertronix sytems seem to gather more negative reviews than positive ones even though I have not personally experienced any.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like I still need to listen to other but I have some homework to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

OH! Like what?---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not convinced a Petronix will outlast enough tune-up kits to make up for the price. I can tune up my car for 10-15 years before I've paid off a Petronix. That doesn't mean it's a bad piece, just that I would never buy one for economical reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Steve, Economy and reliability go hand in hand.Further there is no electromechanical device that will exceed the reliability of its electronic counter part.Also give this thought some consideration:The precurser to each electrical failure is a mechanical one.The simplist example here being an insulation failure on a wire resulting in an electrical short.----Keoke