• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Radiator Shroud

Tomster

Jedi Knight
Can someone please provide some "past experience" comments on any cooling benefits that these may provide before I order one?
I assume the use of these also precludes the use or practicality of an additional push thru style accessory fan

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
I have never driven my car without one, so cannot say how much difference it makes from experience. I have no problem with the electric fan being in front of ther rad, they should not normally need maintenance and the shroud could be removed if necessary.
Simon.

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
On my TR3A I noticed an improvement in the cooling once I put the shroud on the car. I think the the vertical rad and the horizontal opening in the apron the shroud gives a marked improvement in airflow through the rad. Without it there is just too much of a flankiing path for the air.

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Guys:

My 250 came without one & I am considering making one up with some sheet alum from the local supply house. I see the spots along the top of the front cowl where the speednuts would go. My question is how are the sides & back attached? Anyone got a detail or photos?

jerrybny

Jedi Knight
From everything I have read it is supposed to be there to help direct the air flow thru the radiator. Without it the air flow will take the path of least resistance. which in this case is up and over the rad and around it. A very worthwhile investment. If possible get the plastic kind. It will last a whole lot longer than the cardboard type. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
I purchased an aluminum shhroud for my TR6 on ebay.
there very nice but a bit over priced for what the are.

Had I known they were so simple, I would have gotton some aluminum and prefab it myself.

They attach at the top of the grill with the stock holes for the cardboard shroud. as far as I can tell they have no other attachment bolts.

check out this link https://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=h...6lr%3D%26sa%3DG

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

The TR4 and later definitely need the shroud in place to keep air flow from "escaping" around the rad. Without it, the cars are far more likely to overheat. Due to the shape of the air intake, lack of a shroud is a little less critical on TR2/3 (but still helpful). Beginning with TR3A "wide mouth" design, it got more important.

TR4 used a one-piece shroud that attaches via 3 spring-type screw clips (I dunno exactly what they are called) across the top of the valance and two more on either side of the "mouth".

Later cars used slightly different arrangement. I think your 4A has a 3 piece shroud. By the TR6 the shroud was much wider and more sharply angled (But can be made to work on TR4, etc. In fact, some years ago Vicky Brit sent me a TR6 shroud marked "TR4". I used it with some slight mods, see below.)

Original shrouds were "fiberboard", with a black finish. These disintegrate pretty quickly.

There are plastic replacements now available that are much better, although not quite original in appearance.

Or, make your own out of sheet aluminum - or sheet plastic, if you can find it locally. I riveted together a homemade aluminum one and used it for many years. The original, tired fiberboard one was used as a template. The aluminum shroud worked fine, but eventually cracked and got dented up. Because it was more rigid, it was more difficult to install and remove, too.

I ended up reinforcing the plastic "TR6" replacement with an internal, aluminum brace. Without that, it sagged all on it's own, blocking an inch or two at the top/front of the radiator. I can't imagine how much of the rad would have been blocked by it eventually, when the plastic got hot under the hood and sagged even more! I also riveted two additional alu brackets on the sides, so that it can be attached to the front valance. There was no provision to attach the sides on this particular shroud (I don't have a TR6 to check, maybe that's is normal).

The later shrouds aren't as deep (valance-to-radiator) as the early TR4 ones: about 1-1/2" less. This is actually useful, if a thicker custom radiator is being used, or if the radiator is moved forward to make way for a puller fan.

No, in fact the smaller 12" pusher/auxiliary electric fans that most vendors offer will fit just fine inside the shroud, where it will be pretty well hidden so the engine compartment looking relatively original. However, before installing one, see if the shroud alone doesn't cure any tendency to overheat. A 12" fan is generally more than enough, if used in this configuration. Keep in mind that a pusher fan like that blocks some air flow all the time, just isn't as efficient as a puller fan (which might be larger, I've got 14", some have installed 16"). There is some redundancy with the original fan on the engine, which might be good. But the electric fan motor is more exposed to the elements, out in front of the rad, and the original crankshaft-mounted fan puts some drag on the engine all the time.

Anyone having overheating tendencies probably should not consider an electric fan as a solution, by itself. If there are other problems, IMHO they need to be addressed first, then the elec. fan is added "for extra insurance".

My TR4 simply never overheated on me. That was with the stock, 4-blade fan, alu shroud in place and original "long neck" rad (without the crank starter hole). That was at high altitude and with increased compression, headers, etc. Even had the very "wrong" non-sleeved thermostat installed. Summers in Colo. were often 90+, sometimes 100+ degrees, too (it's a "dry heat").

Hope this helps!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Here's what Goodparts unit looks like installed in a TR6:

Driveway%20010%20(Small).jpg

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
The air deflector in the TR2 and TR3 is the metal work part of the front valance grille opening. When they introduced the TR3A with the wide mouth in late 1957 they had no problems till it got hot in the summer of 1958. I bought my TR3A brand new in May 1958 and it didn't have a shroud. Dealers later installed them if a customer complained. The factory started to put them in some time in mid-1958. They really help. After all, let's think about it. The air would rather take the path of least resistance and go around the sides of the radiator than to force inself to pass through all those fins. Mine is made of fiber board in 3 pieces and I sprayed it black (it should be painted body colour) and it's been in place for 16 summers (89,000 miles) and it still looks good. At TRA in Ohio two weeks ago, I took 2nd in the judged concours with 89 points with all those miles since I finished the resoration in 1990.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/ubbthreads/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/1919/ppuser/4127

Bob_Muzio

Jedi Trainee
Don, congrats on the award at TRA. It's nice to see a car that is driven recognized in concours competition.
On the TR4s you might find the shroud wider than the radiator. I fabricated pieces from fibreglass to fill in these aresa so all of the air is directed through the radiator. I find it interesting that a significant portion of the radiator is blocked by the lower valence; what were they thinking?
Bob

OP
T

Tomster

Jedi Knight
It's always been a bit of a laugh with the landscape oriented grill opening with a portrait oriented rad.
Again thankyou all for your assistance. I believe I'll try to make up a pattern using card or poster board which I then can template to aluminium

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
My 57 TR3 had a wide mouth on it due to a collision sometime in past history. There was no radiator shroud. I had overheating problems with it, and put an electric fan on the front. Now that I have a small mouth, we will see how it works with the air channel and elecric fan. We are regularly over 100 in the California central valley during the summer.

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Since my 250 is missing the shroud completely could someone tell me how the top & sides connect to the front valence & do they attach to the rad??

Photos or tech illustration would be great.

arbs_53

I have a TR250 also and I would info on how to fit a radiator shroud. Years ago I bought what is shown to be the original fiber boards that mount to the side of the radiator but could never figure out how they attached to the body or radiator, for that matter. Last summer, I bought one for a TR4 and one for the TR6 hoping one of them would fit. But I can't find a way to make either of them work without some alterations. I'm thinking because we have a rare "hybrid", maybe that's the way it is and something will need to be custom fitted.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Moss Motors shows a different arrangement for the TR-250 then for the TR6. It is also different then the TR4. See parts 94 and 95 on the page I linked to.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...I find it interesting that a significant portion of the radiator is blocked by the lower valence; what were they thinking?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that 30's technology (upright radiator) met 50's design (envelope body). I like the 'landscape' vs 'portrait' description.

Because where I drive sees 100+ temps much of the year I have fitted a plywood airdam to both TRs. Nearly invisible unless you get on the ground, but does throw air against the lower third of the radiator:

airdam1.JPG