• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Pros and Cons of an MGB.

DB6

Jedi Hopeful
Ok, since i am almost convinced about buying an MGB, I would like to hear some good and bad things about it. What do the owners say?

Thank you.

danny

Kim de B

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well, you're not going to hear anything but GOOD THINGS from this group!

The MGB is a classic sports car. It is fun to drive, fun to work on. Parts are easily available. Even someone with little or no mechanical experience (me) can learn to love doing stuff on it.

Properly restored and maintained, the MGB is as reliable as any vintage car, probably more so. I drive my 1966 B every day, spring, summer and fall. I have no qualms about taking it anywhere I want to go.

But it all depends on your level of interest and experience in keeping it going. They need love and attention. The longer you own and drive one, the better you'll get and listening to the car and knowing when it needs extra attention.

When buying a B, the biggest thing to be concerned with is RUST. B's are unibody construction, and one place they are prone to be rusty is the sills (underneath the doors.) If the B you are buying is solid, that's more than half the battle. Everything else is easily fixed. (All you need is time and money ...)

adam90009

Jedi Warrior

Bret

Yoda
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DB6:
Ok, since i am almost convinced about buying an MGB, I would like to hear some good and bad things about it. What do the owners say?

Thank you.

danny
<hr></blockquote>

Hi Danny,

I second most everything that Kim de B has already pointed out. But enough can’t be said about looking out for body cancer (RUST). This turned out to be my “only major concern” when I started looking at B’s. I found many great deals to be had but was turned off on a couple of cars because of the rust. Surprising for Southern California because you wouldn’t think it would be as prevalent as say the north or eastern US. But I manage to find one or two rusty examples here during my hunt.

Anyway back to the good side of the MGB. Like Kim said the B is a fun car to drive. My only complaint is that without an overdrive or 5th gear - it’s not all that pleasant at speed (70+ MPH) on the Highway (Interstate/expressway etc) in traffic. Oh it’ll keep up with the flow of traffic & all, but where the B really shines is on the twisty back roads.

Mechanically the B is real easy to work on if you have a basic mechanical aptitude. But even if you don’t there is enough information out there and other friendly folks more than willing to lend advice or at least point you in the right direction should you find something that is over your head. This forum is a fine example of that willingness to help out whenever you ask.

Curiosity question: What made you decide to trade in your old Jaguar saloon for a two-seat Roadster or GT? I’d keep the 4door for functional reasons and get the B too.

If I could – I’d trade in my daily driver (2000 Dodge Intrepid) for an old Jag saloon like yours.

cheers.gif

[ 06-01-2003: Message edited by: Bret ]</p>

OP
D

DB6

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks Bret.
I think the Jaguar 240 is a great car. The looks of a MKII (with s-type bumpers) at a lower price. My car is in extremly good original condition. It has covered 36'000 since new, 10'000 of which were mine. I havent had any major problems with it at all, and I love the car.
The thing is, that it is not a sports car, therefore doesn't drive like one.
If I could, I would keep it, but the money form the Jag, should go to the next car, so it's not a possibility. Garage space is an issue as well.

William

Darth Vader
From a practicality point of view, an MGB is one of the more practical sports cars you can buy, new or old. It's pretty roomy inside (I'm over six feet tall and fit fine), with comfy seating and-in stock form at least-a reasonably absorbant ride. Properly maintained, they are as reliable as anything out there-ours has failed to start exactly once, when the original starter motor finally died. I wouldn't fancy driving one in the wintertime, because heating and ventilation isn't up to modern standards, tops leak a little more than modern cars, and rust will always be a concern on salty winter roads (not to say other drivers!)
-William

Andre the Giant

Jedi Hopeful
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DB6:

Thank you.

danny
<hr></blockquote>

Here's one big drawback... The MGB is just too big!! It's huge when compared to my Midget.
wink.gif
I like the idea of being able to fit two of my cars in my side of our two car garage.

A

aerog

I'll echo the comments about the MG being a practical sportscar. The roadster doesn't have an overwhelming amount of room in the trunk, but you can fit a small hard-side suitcase on top of the spare tire, and soft-sided cases can be pushed into other areas. Even then there's ample room behind the seats to put one or two good size duffle-bags, even with the top down. If you're still lacking for room get some roadster luggage intended for an MX5 or Z3 and use a good quality trunk-mounted luggage rack and you're in business.

The MGB-GT on the other hand offers the same basic car but with gobs more room in the back. Shop around in Europe and you're likely to find a decent one with a large sun-roof, and possibly a V8, great for touring.

Bret

Yoda
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Andre the Giant:

Here's one big drawback... The MGB is just too big!! It's huge when compared to my Midget.
wink.gif
I like the idea of being able to fit two of my cars in my side of our two car garage.
<hr></blockquote>

That’s pretty funny Andre. I don’t know how big your garage is or how big your other vehicle is, but I have no problem comfortably fitting both the little woman’s SUV (Ford Explorer) and my 78B into together into our Garage with plenty of room to spare.

I guess it’s all a matter of perspective. From my point of view the Midget is way too SMALL. I could almost fit four of them in my garage.
wink.gif