• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Trunnion roller bearings

healeyneil

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Having just fitted roller bearing top trunnion bushes i have a few questions to ask
1) Setting up - no information was provided so I assembled mine then shimmed them to get correct clearance. correct?
2) lubrication. How does grease get to these bearings in use? The original oilite bushes were still Ok ( I have carefully stored them! )
3)Any experience of these bearings "on the road"

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Having just fitted roller bearing top trunnion bushes i have a few questions to ask
1) Setting up - no information was provided so I assembled mine then shimmed them to get correct clearance. correct?
2) lubrication. How does grease get to these bearings in use? The original oilite bushes were still Ok ( I have carefully stored them! )

[/ QUOTE ]

#1] Correct

#2] same way it got to the oilte ones, should be packed prior to installation.

#3 NO
-------------------------------------------------Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

Country flag
healeyneil said:

Yep. After I fitted a larger/stiffer anti-sway bar on my BJ8 it broke the camel's back (the 185/70-15 radials on 6-inch rims and a smaller-than-stock Derrington steering wheel were bad enough). So, I fitted the roller upper trunnion bearings. I wasn't expecting miracles, but was delighted with the decrease in steering effort, esp. at slow speed (parking, etc.). I even think they help at high speed too, though some people don't.

Why don't you drive your car and see for yourself?

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I've used them on my '57 100-6 MM vintage racer for the past 3 years, very happy with the results. I run with 1% negative camber, Hoosier Vintage TD's bias- ply race tires on 6.5" Superlite rims and 1" front sway bar.

Dougie

chapelfarmer

Freshman Member
will fit mine next time I have some quality garage time available based on the views above. what clearance are people looking for? I'm assuming a feeler gauge between swivel axle and trunnion will work to measure? thanks

Country flag
chapelfarmer said:
... what clearance are people looking for? I'm assuming a feeler gauge between swivel axle and trunnion will work to measure? thanks

The bottom of the trunnion and the top of the axle overlap--I don't know how you'd get a feeler gauge in there. If you find a way, let us know (you'd probably have to use a dial mic with a mag base, etc.).

IIRC (not sure--too lazy to look it up), the book spec is 1-2 thousandths of an inch for the flat bushings. I just packed shims until I could feel only the slightest up/down movement; i.e. just enough clearance so there's no preload on the bearing when the wheel is suspended so there's no weight on that axle. The car's weight that's borne by a wheel is pressing on the bearing at rest/normal ride--you'd want minimal clearance to keep the trunnion and axle from pounding the bearing as the wheel moves up and down. That's my theory, anyway; if there's an official explanation I'd love to hear it.

I think it took more-or-less 0.035" of shims on each side for my BJ8. I used the same shims used to set wheel bearings as per a pro's recommendation.

Country flag
Factory Manual calls for maximum permissable lift of .002"

I strive for .0005" - .001" endfloat.

hnr_031.jpg

I made my own pilots for the reamers

hnr_023.jpg

big6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
If you have recently fitted new bushings and shims and want to upgrade, simply measuring the stack of shims required for one side and subtract the thickness of the replacement trunnion bearing upgrade. After you refit the shim pack use a dial test indicator and recheck the end float. I would strive as Randy indicates for between .0005 and .001 inch end float fitted dry. Once the end float is set then take the assembly apart and lubricate the shims and bearing for final fitting. This is not a quick process…