• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

battery to trunk

Gary Lloyd

Jedi Knight
Why would you want to??
confused.gif
It wouldn't be hard, but why??

OP
A

adam90009

Jedi Warrior
im going to get one of those things so i can disconect my battery by just taking out a plug so whan i work on it and so it will be hard to steal so im going to put it in the trunk so when i go some where i just pop the trunk take out the plug and lock it. andim going to put a small fuse still conecting the battery so i dont have to reset my clock and when some one tries to start it it will blow the fuse and the trunk will be locked so they cant get to the battery. I also have to park it outside
frown.gif
good idea????

Gary Lloyd

Jedi Knight
Go to your local marine shop and get a battery shutoff switch!! That way it stays where it is supposed to be, and you just turn off a battery switch!! The other thing, (for theft only) is put a switch on your fuelpump!!
grin.gif

G

all you have to do is get a marine battery box and mount it in the right rear corner of the trunk . then get some 1/o welding cable and fabricate a new positive lead to the starter solenoid. and a ground lead to a convenient spot in the trunk. Don't scrimp on the wire size or the starting current will melt your wire. much easier and cheaper to install a hidden switch in the ignition circuit

G

the switch he is talking about goes on the battery terminal. Jeff Zorn at the Little British Car co has these

Wade Keene

Hi Adam,
Batteries can give off explosive gases, I've heard, you may not want to keep those gases cooped up in your trunk. I'd leave the battery where it is and rig up a battery switch on the lower bulkhead or thereabouts to turn the batt'y on and off. But if it's mostly theft you're thinking about, just switch the fuel pump - those little wires are much easier to work with.

Now I want a rating!!
grin.gif

G

it won't be enough to bother with, especially if you put it in a battery box, which I highly reccommend. I drove a Duster like that for a couple of years. But the battery was in the trunk for weight transfer

RHWins

Why move it, indeed! Its heavy, its low in the original location, and so close to the rear axle that any other place is worse. Plus we don't have a lot of extra space back there, so why move it.

I moved a battery from high on the firewall of a Triumph, successfully, using a battery jumper cable and putting on proper terminals.

G

I wouldn't. the point I'm trying to make is, while it is not hard to do , it is expensive to do right, and there are other, better and cheaper, to accomplish what he wants. And , it occurs to me, it might raise the center of gravity
yesnod.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
For a street car, I'd keep it in the stock position...easy to jump start, check connestions, dither with, etc.

Go here for switch (comes with instructions)...they also sell a device to maintain radio setting memory.

https://www.jcwhitney.com/catsubpic.jhtml?CATID=3111&BQ=jcw2

By the way, my battery's *under* the front area of the trunk, next to the right rear (tube) shock and just ahead of the axle (I used a smaller battery). Good for low CG for autocross & racing, but a pain for service (a fun game at car shows..."Find The Battery In The Green Spridget").

A

aerog

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by adam90009:
where could i put the switches?<hr></blockquote>

Autozone has the switches on the shelf (Moss and just about everyone who sells accessories of that type have them it seems), they mount on the battery terminal and are simple to use.

One point, there are a few different types. One has a by-pass wire with a fuse on it so any accessories that require a constant 12vdc won't be shut off by turning the battery switch off (radios, alarms, etc). The fuse is usually around 1AMP which will run the accessories ok, but any significant load on the system will pop it rendering the car dead. When you want to kill the voltage 100% just pull the fuse when you shut the battery off. --- just an alternative.

--sk

G

Battery in the trunk, huh? Consider this-you have a 2.5" rubber hose that runs through your trunk that is connected to your gas tank. These hose are nortorious for developing cracks and leaking gas into the trunk. Late cars also have a vapor seperator inside the trunk. It is also connected to the gas tank with a rubber hose. So picture this, you car has been sitting out in the sun all day. Gas vapors have filled up your more or less sealed trunk through a dryrotted hose on your fill line. You have a loose conection on your battery, so you get a spark in an explosive atomsphere. What happens? It won't be pretty. Think a boat battery box is going to keep the gas fumes out? May never happen. Then again, it only has to happen once to destroy a perfectly good MGB and it pasengers. Here in Louisana, even boats that have a gas tank in a enclosed area are required to have ventilation to prevent an explosive mixture from igniting. If all of this is not enough, consider that batteries give off both hydrogen gas and sulfuric acid vapors when they are charged. Acid fumes will eventually ruin everything in the trunk. This stuff may never happen to you, but is it worth the risk?

Ractr6

Country flag
I went the other way. My MGA when originaly purchased, had the battery in the trunk. I returned the battery to it's origional location. My cut off switch has been placed behind the passanger seat inside the car. (easier for turning off and on). If you are still worried about someone figuring out your elaborate anti theft device, you should be able to think of a way to lock it. The bonus with this type of system is that if your Lucas wiring is not up to snuff, you are able to protect it from any minor drainage within your wiring harness. In addition, accidently leaving your lights on is no nonger an issue.. Just remember to through the switch before your passanger gets in!!!!!!!!!!
shocked.gif

mowog

Jedi Hopeful
I think you are looking for things to do to change your car First the tube shocks now the battery if you havent figured it out yet with these cars IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT there are a lot of things that you can do to improve the car without becoming a DPO I can suggest replacing the packing strips under the seats with those now available from Gerry M and the remote hood release he also has available (both reasonably priced) and an improvement to your car without making changes that may not be able to be reversed one of the guys on another BBS just finished refurbishing under his hood the difference is like night and day and adds a great deal of value to a car and additionally allows us to clearly see any leaks that may develop ( oh I forgot these cars dont leak)

dont mean to offend but calling em like I see em

troll.gif