• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 73 TR6 windscreen removal

ecutr6

The scuttle on my 73 TR6 is badly pitted, and I need to remove the windscreen frame to begin restoration. I have removed the hold-down nuts from the windscreen, and have loosened the holding bracket nuts, however the frame will not come loose. Any suggestions?

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Yank like h*ll!
Really, open the door and stand in the footwell while you pull and wiggle on the uprights. It's tough but it'll come.
(note) I've always done this with the glass out. You get a better grip, and dont risk breaking the glass.

G

You are going to have to actually loosen the holding brackets themselves. This can be accomplished by gripping the brackets with a pair of vice grips pliers and working the brackets back and forth in a circular motion around the long threaded bolt that is part of the windshield frame. Try to do this without #1 overgripping the bracket and crushing it, and #2 screwing up the threads on the bolt. Some of the gripping can be done on the wings of the bracket, again without destroying it. Penetrating oil will help. The rod tends to rust (bad) or freeze (normal) into the brackets after being cranked down for 30+ years. It's doable, just have to be patient. There won't be a whole lot of back-and-forth play in this bracket so don't expect to see it move a lot. As stated above, might be better to take out glass and change all rubber (and maybe glass) anyway. (Point to remember, replace glass as very last step in frame restoration.)

Bill

jerrybny

Jedi Knight
I removed my 73 TR6 windshield twice. Both times all I did was as Banjo said. I kept working each side until the 30+ years of crud loosened and I was able to pull it out. Hsve faith. It will come out. Both times my windshield was still installed. Just be careful. Hope this helps

D

DougF

Also try a good penetrant and let it soak over night.. Be very careful if you loosen the bracket from the body. It can pull up with your frame and put a nice dent in the body. The result of which is an increased vocabulary and more work. Light tapping on the top of the frame above the brackets with a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer could loosen the rust. Be careful as it could also loosen the molecular structure of the glass and cause even more work.
It just doesn't make sense. These cars should be called "work vehicles", those other things are just commuter cars.

D

DougF

Run a nut up on threads of the frame. If you can access the area, tap on it to loosen the rust or paint. Tapping on the top of the frame will only cause problems. Do not loosen the brackets from the body.

OP
E

ecutr6

Many thanks for the suggestions. Will try over the holidays and let you know which one worked.
BTW, just found this site, and it is paying off already. Three of us at work have LBC's, and are all logged on.

Eric_C

Get a bunch of buddies around one day and they can help! Serve up a cold one or two and you will get the job done. Anything British will do!