• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Jensen Healey Mark II performance

BuddyJ

I posted in this thread since the Jensen Healey has a lotus engine (907 right?) How fast are they and are they a decent car for a new LBC owner?

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
The earlier cars had problems with the engine I believe, but I have heard that the later cars are well-sorted, and are a pleasure to drive. A little complicated for a novice LBC owner, I would suggest an MGB or a Spitfire to start off with. But returning to the subject, keepin mind that rustproofing always left something to be desired, and to find one without rot would be unusual, though not impossible. Watch rust,the worst enemy of this car, and service history with evidence of frequent oil changes would be wonderful. A sweet engine (in the later cars) and good handling, but not cheap to buy, the good cars are in short supply and the owners know what they have got, so will not let them go for a song. Good luck.

OP
B

BuddyJ

Thanks. This one is in Oklahoma and we don't get rust as bad as some other places. It is listed as a Mark 2 (good engine) with new tires and hoses. A running daily driver. They are askin $2000 for it.

I'd absolutely love an MGB or a Spitfire, or even a Sprite/Midget of some sort, but I gotta have something that can handle highway driving. The 140hp of the Jensen Healey is quite attractive and it still has some nice styling to it.

I guess I'll look into it. Its the right price and I haven't found a spit in the area thats in my price range. If only I could get a buyer on my Toyota...

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Keep the Toyota......you might need it!
devilgrin.gif

Seriously though, the Jensen Healey that you describe might well be the one for you, but the price is rather on the low side. Maybe the owner doesn't know what he has? If no rust and it really does have a good engine, then you are on a winner at that price. Is this someone you know, or have you seen an ad? If it's any good you won't be the only one after it! I wish you luck, and suggest you really do keep the Toyota...just in case! Remember, British Car = Murphy's Law!

MattP

Jedi Knight
Jensen Healey's are in an odd place. The lotus engine makes this forum a good place for technical information, but with the trouble for thier club, they have been welcomed in ACHUSA. The club magazine has put in a special column just for them, and so forth.

I wish you the best of luck with the J-H. I am just over in Ft. Smith, sans british car myself, so I root for anyone getting one, with only a little bit of green behind my eyes.

MattP

OP
B

BuddyJ

Thanks MattP. When I finally get a british car, I'll be sure to tell everyone on the forum. As it turns out, I didn't get to call on the J-H this weekend and since I'm at college, I can't call long distance to Tulsa. By next week, it should be sold if it hasn't already because of the nice price. Such is life.

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
The later 907 motors are great engines. As mentioned the first two years had some issues. They make good power but you need to keep the revs up as low end torque is lower than most other LBCs.

That is a great price. Too bad you can't snag. I'd love to get that if it wasn't so far away.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
But if I keep the Toyota ('87 Tercel = ) then I can't get an LBC. <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> <hr></blockquote>

(hope I get this quote function right)

I myself lack my first LBC at this point (and want one really badly [insert whining here]). However I am not prepared to sacrifice my present daily driver, and only car, 1987 Chev Cavalier.
For one thing, no classic LBC that I end up buying will ever see a Canadian winter, thus making a modern daily driver neccesary. And the general advice that I have received from people is that is generally unwise to own a classic car and not have a newer car as well.

I am resigned to just simply saving up my money, though I must confess that I get impatient sometimes.

Anyway just my musings, for what they're worth.

Sherlock

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
Sherlock. Your winters are just the same as Winnipeg. I drive my cars till the end of October usually.License expires November 4. Usually have snow by halloween.I don't mind winter as I can work on my cars and go skiing.
cool.gif
The sun is always shining when you can enjoy our cars and life.

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
Sherlock, don't worry it will all come together. I just my first LBC this weekend. It is great and very much worth it. The only downfall is I have to put it away for the winter right away. I waited until I was 24 with University, getting married, buying a daily driver, having a baby, and buying a house. I would definitly get a daily driver. All 70s cars and older don't do well in winter with all the stupid salt they put on the road. Besides a LBC would be drafty and cold as well. Keep the Cavalier as your winter beater and save for a LBC (I got my for $1400 Cdn).

cheers.gif

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for the note,

Actually I'm not too worried. I have a few things lined up (the "hidden" car market) for possibly a year or so from now. I came close about five years ago to picking up a 1962 Vauxhall Victor wagon (actually the Envoy Sherwood version), but just missed out - a long story I won't repeat here. I've looked at a few cars - Ford Cortina, 1967 Triumph 2000, Standard Ensign, another 1962 Victor wagon, 1965 Vauxhall Victor, and most recently a 1964 Envoy Special . Some are possibilities and some have been crossed off my list already.

Anyway, patience, patience...

And, yes I know I'm into unique cars.

Sherlock

74LotusJPS

Freshman Member
Just wanted to add my two cents worth about the Jensen Healey. I restored a 1974 this last year for my father and was actually fairly surprised that the car is pretty easy to work on. Also the 907 can be a great motor and it's definitely true that the later ones have fewer problems. The REALLY important thing to remember regarding these engines is to change the timing belt religiously! I'd probably do it every 10K miles or if it shows ANY signs of wear on it. $25 for a belt and 20 minutes is a small price to pay to avoid toasting the engine. It's also not too hard (though expensive) to get some very serious power out of a 907 (my fathers dynos at 221hp).

As far as the car goes the thing to look for is rust. If it's there it's going to be in the rockers and around the gas tank.

I believe these cars are currently very under valued. For less money than a MG or Triumph they'll easily out handle and out perform them. But of course you will have to deal with people asking "what kind of car is that" and "who makes Jensen".
wink.gif

[ 10-16-2002: Message edited by: 74LotusJPS ]</p>

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
The JH's I have tried feel pretty loose for me. Quite a bit of cowl shake, less than a TR6 maybe, but more than a B. Perhaps a 4 piont roll bar might help. I have gotten cold feet every time I came close to buying one, over the chassis flex.

Contemporary road tests will confirm my impressions.

They are inexpensive, quick, and to my eye, quite handsome.

I happen to have a new set of Delortto 45's, with manifold, and a set of European cams for a 907 in my garage left over from an Elite I had.

I keep thinking I need a JH to install them on.

JBsC5

Jedi Trainee
The Jensen Healey was a fast car in its day...no question about it..and didn't its body panels bolt on for quick change?

Good luck in your quest. Was the 2,000 dollars really the price...?????? Did you ever call the buyer to see what he sold that car for...?

Lots of fun for 2,000 dollars!!!

What does LBC mean? (no flames..I really dont know the lingo)

Great site..

Good luck in your quest to get your first british sports car!!!

The Jensen would have been a cool choice.

What color was it?

JBsC5

Jedi Trainee
thanks for giving me the inside scoop for LBC..
smile.gif

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sherlock:
Thanks for the note,

Actually I'm not too worried. I have a few things lined up (the "hidden" car market) for possibly a year or so from now. I came close about five years ago to picking up a 1962 Vauxhall Victor wagon (actually the Envoy Sherwood version), but just missed out - a long story I won't repeat here. I've looked at a few cars - Ford Cortina, 1967 Triumph 2000, Standard Ensign, another 1962 Victor wagon, 1965 Vauxhall Victor, and most recently a 1964 Envoy Special . Some are possibilities and some have been crossed off my list already.

Anyway, patience, patience...

And, yes I know I'm into unique cars.

Sherlock
<hr></blockquote>

My folks had a couple Vauxhall Victors in the mid 60's. I think that they were from around 1960.

One was in perfect shape, with metalic green paint and metalic gold roof.

It was definately not sporty though.