• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Reason for kids toys

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
139310486_5168394159839223_718398404934312626_n.jpg

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Speaking of kids (back in the day)... I loved these.

pez.jpg

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Took a few seconds for the Penny to drop.

I think that saying comes from the old UK public toilets where there was a vending machine type lock on the door that took a Penny to unlock it. Hence the other British expression "Spend a Penny"

David

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I think I have an old PEZ dispenser here somewhere in a box of mementos.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Understanding laws of physics is hard.

OP
M

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Understanding laws of physics is hard.
Tell me. I taught high school physics. Try teaching physics to a group of students placed in the class to fill out their schedules.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Tell me. I taught high school physics. Try teaching physics to a group of students placed in the class to fill out their schedules.

My sympathies. I was in one of those classes. The "deer in the headlights" look was the predominant one on fellow students' faces most of the time. Instructor had to go over a problem several times, while those who DID grasp a concept or explanation had to sit and watch. Same deal with more advanced math classes. Algebra, geometry, trig and calculus. It all came easily to myself and a few others. Unfortunately, teachers had to have the patience to attempt to drag the rest into understanding as best they could.

My mother gave me a gag present on about my 18th birthday. A coffee mug. On it was the phrase: "I love Mankind... it's PEOPLE I can't stand." I'd never have the patience to be a school teacher.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag

My dad, a university professor (retired), taught physics. He was very disappointed one year when he was assigned the "physics for poets" class. But when he realized the class was a group of intelligent but low math aptitude students, he turned it more into a philosophy class. And enjoyed it thoroughly.

Country flag
Years ago during college I had to take a number of mathclasses that I’d never been exposed to. I got by in introductory calculus. What was weird was when I took multivariable calc, I found that fun andactually did well in it. Couldn’t manageit now, too many years in IT where knowing how to use it hasn’t had a use.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Speaking of physics:

social distance.jpg

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I always feel I missed a couple of basic points in math early on in my schooling. Some things were obvious and easy to me and other just flew over my head. May be like trying to learn to read but having a couple of the letters of the alphabet missing. Geometry was a breeze for me but some highrt math not so much. We had to do it using 7 figure log tables.

David

Years ago during college I had to take a number of mathclasses that I’d never been exposed to. I got by in introductory calculus. What was weird was when I took multivariable calc, I found that fun andactually did well in it. Couldn’t manageit now, too many years in IT where knowing how to use it hasn’t had a use.

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I always had trouble in math. My eyes glazed over when the guy was explaining the "circles" in an Amway demonstration or when I was a car salesman and I had to figure the selling price with the trade-in value. After I started dong it myself it became easier. I wonder about the problem of mathematics, because as a musician I have no trouble reading rhythms that's all about ratios and and addition, I think. As a youngster i had little trouble drawing and building scale models - ratios again, I guess.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I always had trouble in math. My eyes glazed over when the guy was explaining the "circles" in an Amway demonstration or when I was a car salesman and I had to figure the selling price with the trade-in value. After I started dong it myself it became easier. I wonder about the problem of mathematics, because as a musician I have no trouble reading rhythms that's all about ratios and and addition, I think. As a youngster i had little trouble drawing and building scale models - ratios again, I guess.

I think sometimes it is the teacher - or the time needed. May daughter swore her entire life she didn't have math skills (history major!) Now she writes code for IBM - hmmm I guess when she wanted to/ needed to learn she could. :grin:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'd had the advantage of having "New Math" in 7th & 8th grade. So to me, "The meaning of life, the Universe and everything" is: 101010. :smirk:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Took me 4 years to pass two years of high school algebra. Never could see any use for it. I can't learn abstract subjects like math and music theory. I have to see it and work with it. I taught myself to play piano without lessons or music. Still can't read sheet music. I have to look at the keyboard. Did get through plane geometry with a C. I could see and visualize it. Yet when I took the ground school test to get my pilots license, I got the highest mark in the class - and there were about 80 people taking, including MIT graduates, etc. Weight and balance, time and distance, fuel consumption, navigation, wind triangles. When it meant something to me, I could do it.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Took me 4 years to pass two years of high school algebra. Never could see any use for it. I can't learn abstract subjects like math and music theory. I have to see it and work with it. I taught myself to play piano without lessons or music. Still can't read sheet music. I have to look at the keyboard. Did get through plane geometry with a C. I could see and visualize it. Yet when I took the ground school test to get my pilots license, I got the highest mark in the class - and there were about 80 people taking, including MIT graduates, etc. Weight and balance, time and distance, fuel consumption, navigation, wind triangles. When it meant something to me, I could do it.
Good thing you didn't have to take statistics.