• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Roll Bar Recomendations

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
It is time for me to choose and order a roll bar (if I want my wife to drive with me). I am having trouble finding decent pictures of what some look like on the car. Can anybody recommend a roll bar? I like the pictures I do see where the ones with a little lower profile look best. Can anyone provide a picture of their car with a roll bar identified? Not racing just driving use. Thanks for any help. Bruce

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Before deciding to use a rollbar on a street car where you are not wearing a helmet, you should probably read this thread along with the links to the Pelican Parts forum contained therein: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/f...request-roll-bar-in-a-street-car/14131/page1/ There are a sizeable number of opinions that a rollbar that's not padded appropriately, with the drivers not helmeted and not wearing 4 or 5 point belts with high-back seats is an invitation to head injury in a rear end collision (which are pretty common in our low sports cars with stoplights often out of the line of vision of drivers behind us or even those on their cellphones.

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Bruce...your wife is a very sensible woman. Most aftermarket roll bars are only cosmetic and offer little or no protection.
If you want your wife to drive with you, buy a sports sedan/coupe.:chuncky:

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Even with a roll bar, I think you probably have better rear vision in a TR than in a lot of modern cars, so I'd be less worried about that. My concern is that most rollbars I've seen, other than those specifically designed for racing, have so little bracing that they'd almost certainly collapse in a rollover accident. I don't think you'd want a roll bar collapsing on you. Of course, if you roll a TR without a roll bar, you'll probably get smooshed anyway. Just depends how you'd like to go.

OP
B

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I see the points you are making for the most part. HealeyRick's reference opened my eyes some. Malbaby - you must not be married. In our golden years we wish to enjoy the car together and be as safe as we can be. We could buy a used half-track I guess but that opens up other concerns. Most of my reckless driving ended when I decided I wanted to live and got off motocycles. So back to the theme - Steve I do recognize what you are saying as well but would have to assume that a roll bar would be more protection but as always (think air bags etc) you can still be killed. That factor does not bother me as much as what HealeyRick is saying about rear end collisions. So based on little input it would appear that if I put one in that I would need to also put in high backed seats and padding on the bar. Does that sound correct?

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Bruce...I am married :encouragement: and can appreciate your wife's concern regarding the lack of safety driving in our old TR's.
Fitting high back seats with added strengthening of the floor fixing points, plus lap/sash seatbelts would be a good idea.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
HPIM2684.jpg As for all good of the above commits' see my head also less view at rear view mirror . This Bar was not SCCA cert. as it only attached to floor panels and back deck not frame. Soft top still had room. I never added a padding and have since removed Bar It did make the car easy to push around. Madflyer

Last edited: