• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Another exhausting thread

dbenichou289

So I have been reading through all the previous threads about the different exhaust systems from Moss, TRF, BV, BSE, etc and also came across some using 2 regular Cherry bombs. Not sure I want to go with the 'kits' out there as I plan on bending/installing my own pipes. I am looking at putting an exhaust together using locally and easily replaceable muffler/resonator pieces. Anyone have options for this, or specific p/n that will work to accomplish this? I like the idea of the double cherry bombs, anyone can share any experience on that? sound quality? etc... Let me know your thoughts...

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Country flag
I love hearing the sound of my TR3 four banger. I just run the the stock rear muffler and leave out the intermediate one and that's loud enough. If you run 2 cherry bombs your neighbors might complain and you might get pulled over by the local constabulary.:drill:

OP
dbenichou289

dbenichou289

That's what I thought about the Cherry bombs. Now it's just a matter of finding some muffler and resonator that will fit because the TR providers seem to only sell the complete kit or are short on availability. Anyone have a source for just those 2 components? Originality is not a concern, looking for proper function.

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I just had a recent thread on exhaust and some are simply letting local exhaust shops fabricate and install the system or parts of it. All said they were pleased doing it. If you just want a little more sound let them install the mufflers to do that. The mufflers at the Brit houses are expensive to me. Still waiting to get a SS system. Supply is low now I guess. I am hoping it will have a just slightly "sharper" note. Let me add a caution: In that previous thread some were happy with more sound but several talked like they did not like it and went back to original. Bruce

TR-3rg

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hi,

1+ for Magnaflow. I have a 22" glass pack before the axle and a 12" after. Works well on my TR-3a. Sounds good but not to noisy. I also use 2"exhaust pipe.

Roy

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I did exactly the same as Roy (22" & 12") except with Cherry Bombs.
No noise problems at all, in fact quieter than the
single stock option that I removed (rusted out) I lost the "TR" tone but the price was right.
After 25+ years I replaced the Cherry Bombs with the SS set. The Cherry Bombs never
did fail & the SS set doesn't have the "TR tone I remember from the first set.

As Bert Lance is credited with exclaiming , "If it ain't broke, don't fix it !"
Frank

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I replaced the pace setter exhaust from Moss with a magna flow muffler 12" glass pack with a flex connector, all 2" id. I could not believe the increase in power! The sound is very nice, not to loud to upset the neighbors. The magna flow fit perfectly !

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Local Hot Rod shop and or Summit Racing and Rock Auto in that order. You may have to play with pipe size and remember our motors need some EX back pressure. Madflyer

DougME

Country flag
I've used high heat barbecue paint on my exhaust systems for years, prevents rusting very well. I do touch ups using vinyl gloves and a small piece of Scothbrite rather than a brush in order to reach around the pipe, yes it messy but you love the car, right ?