• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

LEDs in Reflectors

• Thread starter Deleted member 21878
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21878

Thought I might add LED bulbs in my reflectors as a winter project this year. I have some 12v little red LED's I picked up somewhere. They look like a little Christmas tree lights with wires coming out. Can I just add these in or do I need something else to reduce the current? Seems to me I have seen an article on this in years past, but my searching sucks.

Thanks.

CaptRandy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I added led's 1156 bulbs to both reflectors for additional brake/turn signal lights. Just tied them to the existing wiring. I did change all parking/brake lights to 1157 LED bulbs. They work fine. I did remove the foil form the back of the reflectors and drilled out a hole in the rubber housing to accommodate the bulb which I inserted into a pill bottle for support.

OP
D

Deleted member 21878

thanks for the info. i will run with it from here.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
LEDs pull significantly less current than incandescent bulbs (that's why they're replacing incandescents and even CFLs in the house, and sodium- and mercury-vapor lights in streetlights). Make sure the LEDs are correct for the polarity of your car.

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
We have a BJ7 and converted the reflectors to signal lights many years ago with a kit from AH Spares, and changed the brake/tail lights to LEDs with a kit from a domestic supplier (unfortunately forgotten who). The LED kits are positive/negative specific and were not inexpensive, so if you're thinking of going negative ground at some point, do that first. Both of these changes were Very Good Ideas. Doug

OP
D

Deleted member 21878

My car is already negative ground and with the alt conversion. Thanks for that.

i ordered a couple of BA15s bases and a couple of red LED's to match with them. we'll see how it goes. only 20 bucks spent so it is not a big deal to give it a go.

start of the winter silly season i guess...
Thanks