• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

July 4, 1776!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Hooray! Today we celebrate the date the printer put on the public version of the Declaration, which wasn't completely signed until August!

e159f454b9411d0e92b6395b52258606.gif

(Almost forgot, and we stopped owing allegiance to George III.)

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Happy 4th all - In other news we watched Hamilton on Disney plus last night - quite a show.

Country flag
Happy 4th all - In other news we watched Hamilton on Disney plus last night - quite a show.

My youngest niece, now 15, got to see the original cast on Broadway, twice. Once because best friend twins wanted her to go along for their birthdays, and once because of a family friend who ran a business cleaning theatres. Talk about a lucky kid...

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I can't imagine being excited about Hamilton, I know it's just a musical but teaching history for a living has made me hate it over the past few years. You wouldn't believe the amount of people who think it is presenting history rather than some soap opera inspired by history.

Country flag
Yea, she and her cousins really are more enamored of the music and don't treat the play as a whole as complete history. And Langly, the young one I mean has been a near perfect gpa through school to finish freshman year so far. The pandemic though has switched her focus as she has a talent for math and science, so has started talking about becoming a researcher or doctor one day. My brother tells me she watches a lot of videos intended for med students on Youtube and such as she wants to know what makes the body function. Says it's a little weird to have her sit there watching an autopsy after dinner, doesn't bother her at all...

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I can't imagine being excited about Hamilton, I know it's just a musical but teaching history for a living has made me hate it over the past few years. You wouldn't believe the amount of people who think it is presenting history rather than some soap opera inspired by history.

I totally understand - though that pretty much describes any 'historic' movie or TV show

And of course the Science Channel and the History Channel and the Learning Channel have taught us conclusively that people aren't interested in Science or History or Learning - I call it sideshow TV. :rolleyes:

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I totally understand - though that pretty much describes any 'historic' movie or TV show

And of course the Science Channel and the History Channel and the Learning Channel have taught us conclusively that people aren't interested in Science or History or Learning - I call it sideshow TV. :rolleyes:

Ain't that the truth. Lots of entertainment (?) with flashy graphics, shallow research, and loud music. History's Mysteries, Secrets of the Dead, Mystic Britain - garbage. Learning something? nah ...

Oh for the days of Bell Telephone Hour, Mr. Wizard, Twilight Zone, Science-Fiction Theater, Walter Cronkite, Huntley-Brinkley.

harumph

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
:encouragement:

Country flag
Much of that stuff I watch for the "erntertainment" of it, not that I expect to learn much. And military history, I think the guys making them tell their assistants, "find me video of a plane crash" or "I need some tanks". The assistant doesn't know right from wrong and in many cases neither it seems does the creator. I've seen German footage in Vietnam documentaries and modern aircraft taking off from carriers on things on WW2.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Much of that stuff I watch for the "erntertainment" of it, not that I expect to learn much. And military history, I think the guys making them tell their assistants, "find me video of a plane crash" or "I need some tanks". The assistant doesn't know right from wrong and in many cases neither it seems does the creator. I've seen German footage in Vietnam documentaries and modern aircraft taking off from carriers on things on WW2.

Mike - same here. Seems like the "creator" is given a contract to make a dozen 20 minute documentaries on various subjects. But the creator knows very little of the subjects, much less how tech development has moved from decade to decade.

A similar pet peeve: the "military" shows like Mega Weapons of the Third Reich, where a "history researcher" (whatever that means) walks through old buildings with flashes of WW2 images appearing on the walls. Researcher carries a flashlight, even tho' there are modern fluorescent ceiling lights in the buildings. Or there's a five minute mention of a "wonder weapon", but 25 minutes of questionable video to stretch to 30 minutes.

Good grief - dozens of production companies are paid to create filler for hundreds of 24/7 cable channels. I've noticed many of the "documentaries" never have anyone in period costume actually speaking. The narrator describes the action - but the show can be sold regardless of language of the country the show goes to. They just change the narration.

Obviously not enough harumphs on that ...

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
I can't imagine being excited about Hamilton... You wouldn't believe the amount of people who think it is presenting history rather than some soap opera inspired by history.
:encouragement:

And that is where they get their history. From the Hollywood film producers.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Narrators waxing eloquent about napalm when clearly it's willie-pete going off, or footage of F-4 missions mixed with Voodoos or Thuds, all supposed to be the same.

Mike said:
I think the guys making them tell their assistants, "find me video of a plane crash" or "I need some tanks".

Yup.

And ~sound~ overdubbed with footage from WW-II combat, air-to-air shots from Viet Nam... but I guess it ain't new. Movietone was doing it in their 'newsreels' as was Universal with Ed Herlihy narrating. Aggravates me knowing what it took to slate and combine audio with video in those times.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Doc - right on. Even Mathew Brady, Alexander Gardner, and Timothy O'Sullivan were faking and/or rearranging scenes in their Civil War photography.

eek

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
All to 'sell soap'.

Country flag
Used to watch in the 70s, and still see it today on MeTV, Baa Baa Black Sheep. Complete and utter nonsense, watch only to see the Corsairs. Even in High school I knew that real marines of that time period didn't behave like that and they were Black Sheep because of coming from the unassigned pool. And the paint work was completely wrong, late to post war dark blues. But, I like seeing the birds fly, even incorrectly...

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
The zing of ricocheting bullet rounds in cowboy movies.
I had always thought the backfiring from the Spitfire as it came round the circuit was dubbed. Then I was at an airfield where a Spitfire flew regularly . It popped and banged every time the pilot came downwind.

David

Narrators waxing eloquent about napalm when clearly it's willie-pete going off, or footage of F-4 missions mixed with Voodoos or Thuds, all supposed to be the same.

[/COLOR]Yup.

And ~sound~ overdubbed with footage from WW-II combat, air-to-air shots from Viet Nam... but I guess it ain't new. Movietone was doing it in their 'newsreels' as was Universal with Ed Herlihy narrating. Aggravates me knowing what it took to slate and combine audio with video in those times.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
We all owe a lot to Foley artists. Adding and enhancing sounds in films and TV to give it "greater realism". Exactly what we need - greater realism.

I remember hearing a guy at Universal Studios, saying fight scenes often have the sounds of hand hitting body substituted with slamming a pork roast onto a table.

(Talk about topic shift ... this thread is "July 4, 1776"!)