• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Forced update

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I started up my laptop in Windows for the first time in awhile and it automatically updated to Win10. I thought that I had protected myself from this most egregious of updates by running 7 and turning off updates. Does anyone know if I install XP whether or not I can avoid this update?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I don't know Walter as I run Windows 8.1. I had windows 10 and deleted it from my HD. I get a w-10 update message once in a while and delete it. I don't like 10 as it's too controlling and constantly bugging you to install other software. I have used Windows 8 for a few years now and have no issues with it. For me XP is a little outdated. I also install the free "Classic Shell" and it will let you set up and customize a menu you prefer rather than the standard menu. PJ

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
10wtay.jpg

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Paul, one of the things I liked about 7 is that I was able to turn off updates and never had to worry about 10 trying to get downloaded. I was really surprised when this happened.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
My other laptops have Linux in them, if Microsoft forces a download, I will go to Linux in completely. MS is heading stopping any updates for any version other than 10. But, if you don't have a MS account, there's a lot of software to replace the MS software, example, Apache Open Office, which will run MS Office programs and it's free! My wife doesn't do well with Linux, so I'll keep MS in one for the time being. Actually she has a Dell laptop and an iPad and loves the iPad more. :encouragement:

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I only have one laptop and it has two partitions one for Linux and one for Windows. I rarely use the Windows side, I'm reinstalling 7 as we speak hopefully I was just a dummy and accidentally clicked on an update without paying attention.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I have Win 10 on both computers and have no problems, no requests for software, etc. Only problem is I can't get Flight Simulator 2000 to run on it.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Unfortunately Mitsy needs to keep Win 10 on her machine, all the Adobe and Corel software she needs for work is only written to run on it. I run two machines here in the garage, both on CEntOS Linux. One of those is the LAN server. Micro$oft dropped use of SAMBA with Windoze, so integrating that W-10 thing into the LAN was problematic, too.

The majority of peeps haven't a clue as to how dependent their 'net content is on Linux. Apache still dominates the server world.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I only have one laptop and it has two partitions one for Linux and one for Windows.
I set my laptop up the same way. I did a Linux update and lost access to it. I imagine it wrote a line into Grub that borked it. Haven't bothered to dig into it.

There are things that I can't find answers to with Libre or Open Office that were straight forward in MS Excel.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Greg said:
I set my laptop up the same way. I did a Linux update and lost access to it. I imagine it wrote a line into Grub that borked it. Haven't bothered to dig into it.

Had a similar thing with CEntOS7 last week. Update took away my "favorites" and desktop switching from GNOME. Can you not drop down in GRUB to pick a prior kernel load?

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Can you not drop down in GRUB to pick a prior kernel load?[/COLOR]
I suppose I could but I have no need. I use that computer mostly at work. I made an inventory thing on MS Access for when we wrap up shows or movies. I don't really want to learn how to build another DB.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Now that I've installed Windows 7 again, I've lost access to the partition with Linux.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Yes you have to install Linux after Windows which ignores Grub and adds its own loader. It might be possible to recover Grub with a Linux installation without having to actually reinstall. Doc probably knows if that can be done.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Bayless said:
It might be possible to recover Grub with a Linux installation without having to actually reinstall.

Not certain, as I've never had to do it. But if the Linux partition is intact, should be able to. I've never bothered with a dual-boot system, always kept each O/S on its own dedicated drive and changed boot order in the BIOS. That scheme made more sense to me. If one O/S goes bye-bye for whatever reason, system still runs on the other.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Doc,

I would agree with you, however, this is on my old laptop that doesn't have the space for a second HD. I'm going to see if I can use a linux boot disk I have to recover the grub without installation. If need be though I'll just reinstall.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Walter,
It may be possible to do a Linux update instead of a reinstall. That may save you the trouble of having to redo all your applications. I known Mint has been doing that for a while.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Walter,
It may be possible to do a Linux update instead of a reinstall. That may save you the trouble of having to redo all your applications. I known Mint has been doing that for a while.

And if you boot from a CD, there should be an option to "rescue" the install.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I couldn't find my disk that had Fedora on it so I just said screw it, pulled out my old Mint disk reformatted the hard drive into one partition and installed Mint. I hardly ever used Windows for anything so I should be a happy camper now.