• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cranky but not cranking

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
ok Im baffled.
i dont think electricity is flowing through the block.
it cranks like the battery is low one turn and stop. if the battery is freshly topped up it will run for an instance.

New battery wire, I've tryed two starter moters, i have replaced the ground strap.
two different battery
disconcerted the battery kill switch.
cleaned the neg earth to the battery.
jump kit
jumped from a running car

used all my best swear words and invented a few new ones.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Have you load tested battery. Just because it might be new or couple years old might not have the CCA available. Have you tried with plugs out?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Have you tried connecting a jumper cable directly to the battery? then you eliminate all the wiring inbetween.

dklawson

Yoda
+1 to the comments above.

I also suggest that you test the solenoid to determine if its contact are damaged or dirty. With the car in neutral, jumper across the two threaded posts on the solenoid using an old screwdriver. If the cranking speed improves, consider replacing the solenoid.

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Have you load tested battery. Just because it might be new or couple years old might not have the CCA available. Have you tried with plugs out?
ok thats a new idea ill try it tommarow
thanks

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
yep tryed that

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
+1 to the comments above.

I also suggest that you test the solenoid to determine if its contact are damaged or dirty. With the car in neutral, jumper across the two threaded posts on the solenoid using an old screwdriver. If the cranking speed improves, consider replacing the solenoid.
I tryed two diffent Solenoids

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Take the battery out and get it tested.

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
im on a second battery no change.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
"New battery wire, I've tryed two starter moters, i have replaced the ground strap.
two different battery
disconcerted the battery kill switch.
cleaned the neg earth to the battery.
jump kit
jumped from a running car"

What does "new battery wire" mean? Do you mean both the positive and the negative cables?

When was the last time the starter ran correctly, before this problem began?

When you jumped from a running car, did the starter operate correctly?

Tom M.

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
yes new battery cables, neg and pos.
i had a devil of a time starting last spring. I replaced the ground strap with new, the bolts were a bit oily.
new front wiring harness last fall,
yesterday i swapped in an old starter motor (tested first) the bolt hole is cracked.

i did get it to start saterday and did a test run. then turned it off and back on and it fired right up.
but yesterday spent the whole afternoon trying to get it going. charged two batterys over night no luck this morning so I had to reseadule my EU saftey inspection.
could it be the ground between the starter and the tranny?

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
could it be the ground between the starter and the tranny?

Yes! (but didn't you say you already replaced the ground strap?)

the ground strap is from the tranny to the body.
im talking the starter moter to the tranny it might be a big plate at the back but the point is the same.

electiral flow for starting its pos battery to starter solinod to starter moter into the block from the block to the body, body to neg to battery?

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
mg spridget, body 1974, the engine 1275 from a 1972.

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
off topic where in CT are you? i went the U. of hartford.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
off topic where in CT are you? i went the U. of hartford.

Eastern Connecticut. Retired from Univ. of Connecticut after 30 years in public education. What brought you to Norway?

Say, when you jumped from another car, did the starter operate correctly?

Tom M.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
If you have the jumper cables you can easily ground the starter.

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Eastern Connecticut. Retired from Univ. of Connecticut after 30 years in public education. What brought you to Norway?

Say, when you jumped from another car, did the starter operate correctly?

Tom M.

no the starter was not running normal. just a one turn of the engine.

I started bringing my father to Norway to see his cousins. and I got a medical animation job here, now Im teaching in a games program.