• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New OLD watch

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I was going through a box of personal items from my father-in-law that I've had for the past eight years (where does time go?).
Lots of old coins, a couple of Ronson lighters (never used), two transistor radios (they still work) and this watch.
It wasn't working so I removed the back and of course found the battery compartment corroded.
As soon as I removed the battery the watch came to life due to the solar array.... yippee! I cleaned up the battery contacts and installed a new battery. All functions of the watch work as they should.
I tried finding any info about this brand watch but came up empty except for an ad from the Sharper Image from the late 70"s.
Has anyone heard of or possibly had one of these watches. Is it worth keeping?

IMG_4431.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Elliot - those were made by Sunrex, in Taiwan, around 1978-79. Nothing special as far as I can determine. A good keepsake?

Tom M.
PS - what is Sunrex spelled backwards ...?

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Elliot - those were made by Sunrex, in Taiwan, around 1978-79. Nothing special as far as I can determine. A good keepsake?

Tom M.
PS - what is Sunrex spelled backwards ...?
Thanks for the info Tom. Never heard of Sunrex. Now I know what Xernus stands for.
B

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Looked up Sunrex. It appears that they now make computer keyboards.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Neat old watch! If it works it's certainly worth keeping. Neat bit of history with a little personal connection.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
“Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.”

― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
“Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.”

― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
I’m still wearing my analog watch. Makes me proud to be up at the higher end of the evolutionary scale :rolleye:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I love that quote, PC.

And back in the 80s when I was in high school I really didn't like digital watches at all, I was an analog guy all the way. In my watch collection now are a couple digital Casios, a little nostalgia I suppose. That and they're cheap and fun.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
In other news I packed my watch away about 6 weeks ago. Haven't missed it - and I am wearing pants!

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
My everyday watch is an analog Seiko. I have a Bushnell digital golf watch that tells me the distance to the green, hazards, etc. that also doubles as a regular timepiece. Finally I have a $25 Breitling from Shanghai that I wear once a year and an old pocket watch given to me by an old friend. I just can't see paying thousands for something that doesn't keep better time than a $29.95 Timex.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Watches. Timepieces in general... always been fascinated by 'em. Mitsy thinks I've got enuff watches, but I feel kinda lost without one on my wrist. Have owned one of the first of Seiko's digitals, circa 1977, it died after eleven years. I rotate my wristwatches, usually an 'every day' is between three "Swiss Army" Victorinox time/date cheapies and a Pulsar. Two chronographs are now reserved for "dress-up" occasions. One is a Waltham I was given as a H.S. graduation gift from my dad, the other is an Omega Seamaster. Both are mechanical. Like those a lot.

I just ordered a counterfeit Omega Speedmaster chrono, touted as the "Moon Watch". That one will see more use, reserving the real thing for occasional wear. BUT DON'T TELL th' MITS!! :highly_amused:

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Question doc: When you say “dress-up occasions” can we assume that you are also wearing shoes? :devilgrin:
I bought my first Seiko at the 1964 World’s Fair. Wore it all through college and I still have it. It’s a self winding analog model.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Question doc: When you say “dress-up occasions” can we assume that you are also wearing shoes? :devilgrin:
I bought my first Seiko at the 1964 World’s Fair. Wore it all through college and I still have it. It’s a self winding analog model.

Shoes? Yeah, and sometimes I even put on a pair of socks with 'em! :smirk:

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:encouragement:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I inherited my Dad's Accutron,that he got as a retirement gift.
It's too nice to sue every day,& requires a special battery.I pulled it out
the other day,& the battery was dead.
I also have a Citizen that I wear daily.It was given to me by my
Mom,who picked it up in Hong Kong many years ago.It has Chinese writing
for the days,etc.,but seems to be a quality watch.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
My everyday watch is an analog Seiko. I have a Bushnell digital golf watch that tells me the distance to the green, hazards, etc. that also doubles as a regular timepiece. Finally I have a $25 Breitling from Shanghai that I wear once a year and an old pocket watch given to me by an old friend. I just can't see paying thousands for something that doesn't keep better time than a $29.95 Timex.
That's why I wear a Timex, although I think it's a $34.95 one.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I won't go through all the watches I've owned and some are still around but, the best time keeper I have is a wind up Hamilton railroad watch, the worst, believe it or not, was birthday present from my wife, a fancy Bulova, (Shhh this is the first time I let that out), now saying that, I never had a Timex that didn't keep good time plus after a year or two when the battery went dead, it was cheaper just to buy a new one since the batteries cost more than a new watch! :highly_amused:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I own a few watches. My favorites are American railroad watches and pre war Hamiltons, though I do own a few Swiss wrist watches (Longines, Eterna, and Omega), and an Accutron Astronaut.

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
images
Z

These are a couple of watches I inherited from my father.
Z