• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series laygear

saltiga

There is a company in Canada advertising the sale of a reconditioned laygear. Can anyone supply me information on the quality of the recon. I see the join weld is at the second gear junction and am wondering how this gear ends up. The add says is ok but is it??? Saltiga

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
What a conundrum! I'm on the right continent but wrong latitude to get a Mk-1 Eyeball on it. Can you get this outfit to give you specifics? L.O.A., I.D. measurements and suchlike?

I would expect there are folks in your country, or N.Z. someplace, doing similar work? I know there was a shop on the south island in NZ reproducing C and D Jags from wood bucks and raw sheetmetal, my friend and partner spent five years there a while ago. I'll ask him if he's got any known contacts regarding T-Series bits, either there or Oz. The bulk of their builds were for guys in your country.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
There is a company in Canada advertising the sale of a reconditioned laygear. Can anyone supply me information on the quality of the recon. I see the join weld is at the second gear junction and am wondering how this gear ends up. The add says is ok but is it??? Saltiga

do you have a link? I am in Toronto so am aware of the reputations of many suppliers

OP
S

saltiga

Dr Entropy, I was there in Dunedin south Island some years back and went to his reproduction shop, very talented man. My wife a shop-a-holic was in Melbourne a couple of years ago at the DFO outlets. I sit and read a book and strike up conversations with similar let them shop attitude. There I met a guy a farmer, from Dunedin south island and guess what, the guy who reproduces D type Jags was his best mate. He at the time was making a "D" and this was going to be his last one. Have been back to NZ a couple of times since but not to the south Island. Saltiga

OP
S

saltiga

J.P I was at Toronto last year. Still cant quite get over the roads you have , so lucky. Michaels the guy who does these rebuilds I found him when looking for a replacement laygear, He does MG , Austin Healey new and second hand parts. I typed in, lay gear for sale, also has a blog, Michaels Austin Healey blog-netbug, www.netbug.net, I am keen to use his rebuild but am a little hesitant , it would be nice to have some one who has used one to say its been fine so far, and they have fitted a magnet to the g/b sump plug and no metal showing to date. Hope your contacts can help. Our Daughter and husband love skiing . they bought a unit on a ski run 40 miles north of Montreal . My wife and i had a fantastic time in Canada. how the people can switch from French to English in the drop of a hat and beautiful English, it is just amazed us, other than the cold its a great country . many thanks Saltiga

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
J.P I was at Toronto last year. Still cant quite get over the roads you have , so lucky. Michaels the guy who does these rebuilds I found him when looking for a replacement laygear, He does MG , Austin Healey new and second hand parts. I typed in, lay gear for sale, also has a blog, Michaels Austin Healey blog-netbug, www.netbug.net, I am keen to use his rebuild but am a little hesitant , it would be nice to have some one who has used one to say its been fine so far, and they have fitted a magnet to the g/b sump plug and no metal showing to date. Hope your contacts can help. Our Daughter and husband love skiing . they bought a unit on a ski run 40 miles north of Montreal . My wife and i had a fantastic time in Canada. how the people can switch from French to English in the drop of a hat and beautiful English, it is just amazed us, other than the cold its a great country . many thanks Saltiga

Thanks for the kind words - always interesting to see your country through someone else's eyes. Let me see what I can do.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Funny how small the planet truly is. The "Six Degrees" thing is highly exaggerated. Particularly with the 'net and folks with common interests.

Hoping J.P. can help. He and I have met a couple times in person, his eval can be counted on.

saltiga said:
<reverent snippage> ...other than the cold its a great country . many thanks Saltiga

Ya oughta visit us down here in Florida then! we ski on nice warm WATER! :glee:

OP
S

saltiga

Its a few years ago when I was in the USA 1999 to be exact. went from Los Angeles to Huston Texas by car and back along the route 66. Our reason for the visit was to buy 3 Austin Healeys which we did from Scotty at classic cars on Airline drive. I had one my mate the other 2 . Huston is much like Brisbane is in Australia sub tropical I assume Florida is about the same as well. I would love to revisit the US but am afraid our age is against us now, kinda left our run for that one too late. But the Healey has been restored to original probably better than new as I did a lot of mods to it where ever there was a reported fault with them it was addressed . I have treated the MG TD the same. I thank you all for your info Thanks Saltiga

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Hey there, Mission Accomplished. I just called a friend who is a member of the Austin Healey Club - I was half way through my question when he said - you mean Mike? My friend Mark (Abarth69 on this forum) says he is reputable and that they are good friends. He used to own a shop here in Toronto and apparently has containers of parts. Obviously I can't vouch for the part itself but I can vouch for the guy. So, I think you can proceed to ask questions knowing you will get a good answer (I hope)

cheers! :cheers:

OP
S

saltiga

JP Thanks for that. I checked on delivery of goods to Australia via Canada post up to 10 weeks then another 2 within Australia. So searched the net and found a brand new one for a little more in cost but its from Sydney so I bought it . I checked Mikes site and have him in mind for any Healey bits in the future Enjoy your summer Saltiga

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
JP Thanks for that. I checked on delivery of goods to Australia via Canada post up to 10 weeks then another 2 within Australia. So searched the net and found a brand new one for a little more in cost but its from Sydney so I bought it . I checked Mikes site and have him in mind for any Healey bits in the future Enjoy your summer Saltiga

Even better! onward and keep us posted especially with pictures

:cheers:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:iagree:

Curious to see the newer laygear in relation to the mainshaft gear and if it has the same or better engagement.

OP
S

saltiga

Dr Entopy, The new lay gear is the same as the original one, I have found out why the slider has worn , the part numbers 441-440,441-170 main bearing spacers were not fitted to the end housing causing the bearing to shift back . because the main shaft had moved back some 60 thou the wear marks indicated an out of mesh situation and its possible the main shaft did a bit of oscillating back and forth at times This I will never know. The new first gear has a positive fixed position in neutral by the slider balls, the old one could in neutral move back and forth some distance. why i don't know , the grove for the balls to fit in on the new first gear is small and precise, the old one the groves are elongated, why who knows, but its all looking good now, awaiting the rear bearing slinger and wave washer. saltiga

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Good news! Pleased to learn you've got definitive answers.

At this point in time there's no telling what's been done (or NOT done) to these cars. In all my time working on them I've seen all manner of botch 'n bodge.