• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

in other news

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
My daughter was borrowing my Kia Soul - went to start it - it chugged a few times, quit and wouldn't start again. Turn out the timing belt broke and of course interference engine, so, looking for another car. I guess with Social distancing gives me time to look.

:rolleyes:

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
JP,
That sucks...no chance of a rebuild?
Rut

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
My neighbor has a Kia, not too old a model. Had serviced by Dealer for an oil change. Drove it 30 or so miles, engine locked up due to no oil. Towed to dealer. Dealer found a used engine for $3500 to get it going again. Agreement on price. Used Engine installed. Gets 30 miles and engine quits. Towed back to the dealer. My advice to him, buy a Honda or Toyota.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
JP,
That sucks...no chance of a rebuild?
Rut

$3500 rebuild, or $4000 used engine on a 2010 with 275k km (170000 miles) - not really worth it

trying to sort out whether a friend's 2006 Subaru is worth it - new (used) engine and new tires for $4000 - OTOH no rush for weeks or maybe months :rolleyes:

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Just had that happen. My Mazda Protege5 had the tensioner fail on the drive home from work...car just died. Naturally it threw the timing belt and broke it. Somehow the cams stopped in the perfect position. Its an interference motor as well, and I cranked it over and over, baffled on why it died. My shop put a new belt and tensioner in, did a compression check, verified the valves all had clearance, and somehow it lived. Luck was on my side.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
actually ended up selling it to the son of my mechanic (who is also a mechanic) he says he found an engine for $1500 and will install it on his own time. Literally no incentive to look for something else though - maybe when this all blows over.

Gas is the cheapest it has been since 2003 and I have literally no where to go.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Years ago I had a Fiat X 1/9 that broke the timing belt, also a interference engine. I got lucky, it only bent four valves with no piston or rod damage. But trying to pull the head and repair it was a daunting task with the mid-engine configuration.

nomad

Yoda
Moral of this story......drive old BRITISH!:eagerness:

Kurt

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I never had problems like that on my British cars, dropped valves, trannies breaking, leaks, but about it besides rust.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I never had problems like that on my British cars, dropped valves, trannies breaking, leaks, but about it besides rust.

the advantage of non-interference engines - and timing CHAINS. :0

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
A not funny story about my 1992 Miata. For preventive maintenance I changed the original timing belt at 70000 "just to be sure" with an OEM belt. Took me eleven hours as I was very careful and checked everything twice or thrice. New belt failed around 20000 miles later. Another ten hours later I was so pizzed off I replaced it with the original 70000 belt and it's still going strong. A round of applause for non-interference engines.

nomad

Yoda
Bob, I had the water pump go out on my 96 Miata and figured I might as well change the belt while I was at it. Car was pushing 100K at the time and, as you know, its a bear of a job unless you have to have it apart for a water pump anyway. Belt comes off BEFORE you can get to the pump. Anyway I had a new belt all ready to go but the original looked good enough that I decided not to change it. Car was pushing 150 K when I traded because the top was on its last legs.