• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Horn not working unless I rotate the control head

Stavri

Freshman Member
I just bought a TR3 and the owner just put a new control head on and it worked. I decided to take off the steering wheel to paint and re installed it. I hooked up all wires and oriented the head correctly and the signals work and cancel correctly but not the horn. If I take the grub screws out and pull the head out a little and rotate it upside down I can get the horns to work. Whats going on? now I am second guessing myself. Did I paint the center of the steering wheel and cause it not to ground? is there somewhere the head is not grounding in the wheel. Any help or thought is appreciated. Never fun going backwards!
thanks,
Steve

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I would think it would case ground somewhere in the stator tub also. Perhaps a lose wire in the head. Not sure where, but at least it is not stuck on. You can probably get to it by only loosening the 3 screw on the head from the back and split the plastic case open without doing a total take apart; the horn button is right there and maybe you can tighten one of the brass nuts from there, not sure. There are some good pictures of the inside of the head on the forum. That is probably where I would start after I check the connections on the bottom by the horns.

steve

Skidude

Country flag
Do you have to disconnect the wires in the engine bay and remove the whole control head - or, can you just remove the 3 screws from the back of the control head to remove the outer part to get to the copper horn ring?

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
You can pull the wires back through the tube to get enough access to work on the trafficator in place, assuming the wires are in relatively good condition.

OP
S

Stavri

Freshman Member
It was the metal washer on the back of the horn button. Who knew a 6 month old new control hub was poorly made. The little amount of glue they used let go. Sanded up, new epoxy and horn works as it should.

Last edited:

Snowkilts

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
It was the metal washer on the back of the horn button. Who knew a 6 month old new control hub was poorly made. The little amount of glue they used let go. Sanded up, new epoxy and horn works as it should.

You also make a spark in there and get scorch marks every time you hit the horn. I must have sanded mine off 3 times or so and the **** thing still wouldn't work when I needed it. I finally added a relay to the circuit to reduce the current going through the control head and stop it from sparking. So far (several years) it still works.

Edit: Today I Learned that the forum automatically censors non-disney words! :glee:

Last edited: