• NOTICE: This "Forum Navigation Questions" forum is only for asking questions related to navigating this web site. DO NOT post car-related questions here., For car-related questions, use the appropriate marque-related forum.
  • The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Disoriented Pictures

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Are the pictures in question taken with an iPhone? If so, the only solution I've found is to open it on your computer first, then slightly "crop" the image and save the result. I don't know why, but iPhone pictures seem to want to flip 90 deg when uploaded. If it's not an iPhone picture, well, try the same thing - crop the image slightly then re-upload.

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Are the pictures in question taken with an iPhone? If so, the only solution I've found is to open it on your computer first, then slightly "crop" the image and save the result. I don't know why, but iPhone pictures seem to want to flip 90 deg when uploaded. If it's not an iPhone picture, well, try the same thing - crop the image slightly then re-upload.

Yep, Iphone. Now just cropped:

IMG_0416 (2).jpg

Now cropped and rotated:

IMG_0416 (3).jpg

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I don't know why some iPhone pics want to rotate when they get uploaded. The look ok on the computer but not when you upload. Just not sure why.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Regarding the iPhone, I’ve had success rotating the pics 90 deg; saving them; then rotating them back 90 degrees to the correct orientation before posting them. Crazy!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Regarding the iPhone, I’ve had success rotating the pics 90 deg; saving them; then rotating them back 90 degrees to the correct orientation before posting them. Crazy!

+1 - this is what I do. apparently there is an app to fix this but just rotating seems easy enough

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
And I'll bet that if you hold your smartphone/camera so the viewing screen is horizontal ("landscape"), and the "home" button is on the right side of the smartphone screen, the pictures are saved without need for rotating.

Just sayin' ...

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Both of these iPhone pictures are oriented fine on my computer. The first was taken in portrait mode, the second was in landscape orientation.

Portrait_test.jpg

Landscape_test.jpg

Notice the orientation is correct on both and I did not have to do anything to either image. Hmmm, I am using an iPhone XR with the latest iOS (13.3.1). Rick, what model iPhone and what iOS are you using? I know in the past with my iPhone 7 and an older iOS I had to "fix" iPhone pictures taken in Portrait mode. Maybe this is something that has been corrected in newer phones and'/or iOS? Rick - what phone do you have and what iOS?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Android phone here (Pixel 3, and LG before that). Posted photos have always been upside down until edited.