• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The “it’s not going to Pebble Beach “ moment

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I think I have hit that time working on the bonnet for my Bugeye. I’ve had it on and off numerous times, I’ve hammered and dollyed, I’ve welded and shrunk. I believe I’ve done as good a job as I can. It was rusty and hit in several places. The rust is all gone and I have put in new beading. I think it’s time for Bondo. The thickest spots won’t be more than 1/8 th inch. Much improved over 3/8 th inch that covered much of it.
Have others had this moment too?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
*raises hand*

Yup. an Alfa GT I got back in the mid-eighties was so lumpy under the paint it took me a month of bondo removal, thumping out dents 'n dimples, it came down to high build primer and blocking for another month before paint.

D

Deleted member 8987

Just contact one of those reality based car shows. They'll have yours SEMA ready in six days!

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"Perfect is the enemy of good". Don't think there's ever been a bugeye at Pebble Beach so you're not the first. Trying to do a Pebble Beach level restoration on a bugeye would probably suck the fun right out of it and make it feel embarassed. Make it as nice as you're comfortable with and enjoy the best part, the driving.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
You could always drive it to Pebble Beach just to attend the show and then honestly tell everyone that you took your Bugeye to Pebble Beach.

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Just put a SBC in it, then you can cut a hole in the hood, toss a blower through it... nobody will even notice an imperfection.

OP
Rhodyspit75

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the encouragement. It’s just that I’m kind of a perfectionist and sometimes don’t know when to say enough. I used to build wooden canoes and kayaks and have also gotten to the “ it’s not a violin moment “.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Did the MGB in 2006, it now has some "patina" and needs some areas looked after but it's still fun to drive! Took it today on a 40+ mile round trip down the Interstate, only concern was the traffic. Some people are of a mindset to believe they're NASCAR drivers.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
one more show about getting the car ready for SEMA and I'm grabbing a gun and going Elvis on the TV.....

:lol:

Totally get it! Six holes in my freezer!

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Only prepped one car for painting - a Corvair convertible I bought for $1,000.00 in Ossining, NY and towed home on the end of a rope. Wife and I spent hours sanding, filling, sanding again - we thought it was as smooth as a baby's butt....took the car to Maaco to have sprayed black even though someone told me "black is merciless". It was. The ripples in the paint made the car look like it had been in a major accident and repaired by gypsies. Last time I ever considered preparing a car for painting. I leave it to the body shop pros.