Thread: Squeak from rear of BJ8

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Re: Squeak from rear of BJ8

Hi John,

I have seen both recommended but did contact a zinc product producer and asked for direction. I have also viewed suggestions to use "Cold Galvanized Paint" containing 93% Zinc Power for use in leaf application. Yes, I agree that zinc compound liners would be best and after that I would use the Vinyl liners. However, there is too much that I still don't understand before I actually act.

One last point I found, our springs, without leaf liners, creates friction that acts as a shock absorber diminishing osculating movement. One group suggest this is a good thing and part of their purposeful elimination of the liners.

Go Figure,

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts

Smile Re: Squeak from rear of BJ8

Quote Originally Posted by RAC68 View Post
    Hi John,

I have seen both recommended but did contact a zinc product producer and asked for direction. I have also viewed suggestions to use "Cold Galvanized Paint" containing 93% Zinc Power for use in leaf application. Yes, I agree that zinc compound liners would be best and after that I would use the Vinyl liners. However, there is too much that I still don't understand before I actually act.

One last point I found, our springs, without leaf liners, creates friction that acts as a shock absorber diminishing osculating movement. One group suggest this is a good thing and part of their purposeful elimination of the liners.

Go Figure,

Ray(64BJ8P1)
    Hi Ray,

Leaf friction used to be considered a good thing in the days of Hartford friction shocks (pre-WWII). Now not so much. The hydraulics don't need any help.

IMO galvanzed iron strips would not be a substitute for sheet zinc, as the galvanizing would quickly wear off, leaving the springs with steel-to-steel contact as before.

If you cannot find sheet zinc to make strips from, you're departing from concours, therefore you might as well go with a known permanent solution, such as the plastic channel shown above. Just my 2p.
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Ray,
    Removing rear springs would be at the very bottom of my list of Healey projects. My springs don't squeek, so I haven't applied Slip Plate to them. At $10, it would be my first choice, though.
    Douglas

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

As much work as removing and disassembling rear springs are, I would still lube them first.
    John, BN4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Douglas/John,

I must say I very much appreciate the basis of your points and logic as I have followed that approach in the past with other lubricants then the one you had mentioned. However, I have experienced only very short releaf from squeaking with some lubricants and no relief at all from other.

I am now on a path to complete the job with a permanent solution and, although the Vinyl liners seem an easy solution, I am concerned about available space for the new liners, even after the remove the SS strips inserted years ago. Since much of the available shackle space had been taken up by adding a second #2 leaf to each spring set (7th leaf), the space needed for each 6-liner vinyl set (@ 1/16 per) would require each spring set to had at least 3/8" to 1/2" of free shackle space. But, if I can find Zinc metal liner replacements, I expect they would be near the thickness of my present SS strips and be very close to an even swap with respect to space between the shackles.

Will it take more time and effort to remove and replace liners? Undoubtedly it will but I expect to have a maintenance-free permanent result (hopefully).

I really value your comments,
    Ray(64BJ8P1)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Ray,

Since you know the cause of your squeaks, proceeding to insert zinc strips is the appropriate action. For the OP, lubing the springs to confirm that they are the source of the squeaking before disassembling them, only to have the steaks continue seems like a better idea.
    John, BN4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by dcarlg View Post
    I respectfully suggest spraying Slip Plate on the springs. Both while loaded and also unloaded. It penetrates well and leaves a graphite coating. Sheds water and resists rust, too.
    Good luck.
    Douglas
    Slip Plate (graphite) vs Wurth HHS 2000 (grease) vs CRC Heavy duty clear penetrating grease (grease and teflon). All water resistant, so may stay put longer.
    310Kbm-iroL.jpgs-l1600.jpg 81j+Jv7TdQL._SL1500_.jpg
    Last edited by AUSMHLY; Yesterday at 01:24 PM.
    Sometimes it is better to travel than to arrive.
    64BJ8 ph2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AUSMHLY View Post
    ^^^ Although these seem like good solutions, seems like a lot of work to remove the leaf spring, take it apart, install product, put everything back together. Are special tools need to take leaf springs apart and reassemble?

Yeah:

But if you wanna stop the squeak just use coppa-slip in between the leaves
    1966 Daimler V8 Saloon; Safely Fast, Built to Last & and; Smooth as Glass.
    1966 BJ8 [ 2 ] Lil Red & Miss bLU
    1985 XJ6 Saloon
    1948 & 70 Lincoln continentals
    1973 Volvo P1800ES

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While your at it, you might want to replace the radius arm bushings if they never were. The
    steel bushings can seize to the pins and damage the rubber. I had a set squeak once. Your
    job could be easier to just pull the rear end out anyway. Easy on the BJ8. Just my $.02.....

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recently rebuilt the leaf springs on my BT7.
    Since I am an engineer with access to test equipment and I was curious,I used a load cell and display to measure load v. displacement as I compressedthe spring to flat on the bench using a 14 inch C-clamp.
    The spring was disassembled and the zinc strips were noted for locationand thickness (.031 inch).
    New zinc sheet was sourced from an online metal supplier for about $30and spent $10 to have a local sheet metal shop shear them to the correct width.
    The leaf spring bushings were the biggest hassle. The ones availablefrom both Moss and AHSpares in the UK are made poorly with thin metal andincorrect inside diameter. The original bushings have very close tolerance boresthat fit quite closely to the bolt that secures the leaf spring to the chassis.These bolts are precision ground to very close tolerance.
    The bushings that worked out the best were purchased from XK’sUnlimited (now owned by Moss), and they fit the Jaguar XK120, the onlydifference being the length is ¼ inch too long, but they are easily modified.Keep in mind the length of these bushings are critical since the chassis andshackles have to be able to ‘pinch’ them on each end. The OD and ID of thesebushings are spot on compared to the originals.
    I re-arched the leafs using my 20 ton press which turned out quite nicefor the height increase I was looking for. Re-assembled the springs with a thincoat of moly grease between the leafs and repainted them after assembly.
    At the same time I had the rear shocks rebuilt by World Wide Auto inWisconsin.
    Big improvement in ride and handling, plus much less scuttle shake onthe freeway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

dezand

Good show:

Perhaps you can share the sources you used to supply your zinc liners for the forum.
    1966 Daimler V8 Saloon; Safely Fast, Built to Last & and; Smooth as Glass.
    1966 BJ8 [ 2 ] Lil Red & Miss bLU
    1985 XJ6 Saloon
    1948 & 70 Lincoln continentals
    1973 Volvo P1800ES

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

for the zinc sheet I purchased it here:
    https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy/...2&checkbox=on#
    The liners are 1.75 wide, so a 12" wide sheet will make the six pieces
    I decided to make original zinc liners instead of using the flanged Delrin type available after reading that the Delrin is so slippery that it tends to wiggle out.

Here are the bushings:
    https://xks.com/i-7080117-jaguar-lea...tegory:1207344
    They need to be shortened by .25 inch, otherwise they measure identical to the original bushings

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dezand View Post
    Big improvement in ride and handling, plus much less scuttle shake onthe freeway.
    The 'scuttle shake' issue has been beat to death, both here and elsewhere, and this is the first time I've seen rear suspension anomalies mentioned as a possible cause. Intriguing.

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was surprised also, since I had been considering having my brake drums balanced. But after the leaf spring and shock rebuilding, by far, most of the scuttle shake is gone. I'm sure the scuttle shake is related to the bending and torsional stiffness of the frame and body structure and the forcing frequency is the speed/road surface. The damping has been increased with the shock rebuild and the rubber in the leaf spring bushings is now soft compared to the rock hard rubber in the original 60 year old bushings, which changes that locations natural frequency.