• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

"Rosie the Riveter" ?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Yesterday at the air museum, Amanda Goodheart-Parks, our Education Director, gave a talk on the background and interpretations of the WW2 "We Can Do It" poster. For most of my life, I'd seen the poster referred to as "Rosie the Riveter".

5tQh92U5aEdg36M-7Q3nIh3XCoNN1I_tq7ESVTx5CY6Nl7bCsti1ilrJ1FFpMtjpCWWdwcGyx_7cdbr4vqWs6y2Ja2wA3xmdbdk-syUFjBk72OxqvORSCU8bSrRc_NmK0UMIbmGg7e1e26tupTd2-JKUJq8VZyiYiXU=s0-d-e1-ft

Note that the poster makes no reference to "Rosie the Riveter".

The poster itself was used only for a few weeks, back in 1943, just one of a series of internal posters to raise morale - and keep up production - in Westinghouse Electric plants. It was then filed away and pretty much forgotten. The poster wasn't well known by the general public until many years later, especially after it appeared in a Washington Post Magazine article in 1982 on war propaganda materials in the National Archives, then printed later on the cover of Smithsonian Magazine in 1994.

But in 1942, a year before the Westinghouse poster first appeared, a popular song by Redd Evans and John Jacob Loeb hit the airwaves. "Rosie the Riveter" described how women were taking the "tough" jobs men had done, so the men could head off to war.

https://youtu.be/55NCElsbjeQ

The song, and similar "women at work" songs, began spreading across the UK, Canada, and USA. Norman Rockwell created a large-format painting, used as cover for The Saturday Evening Post in November 1943

ZS2YBGKb3uTF7tfJeRcYrmrsOwLbL23N_SKOffvozZZBD4oj61lccvY5hR5GDYG9BCveo79Ne8JZ5y5FwMaT4iN4E7FIo2pfgqtEH1ug4DWPrsSQIA=s0-d-e1-ft

Note how Rockwell uses the name Rosie, and shows her trampling on a copy of Mein Kampf. To add a religious connection, he imitated the pose of Michelangelo's "Isaiah".

F2egCqkiXZsNOLTt4d6dMHsRZ7_yLp6jQXmOsipOvS_6_5a-u5gTNHPRO1MzhJEXUD1Av9tJnIV848Nwk5WNdDhteIrJIbWjm1qMkSyvJVS4P6CH7RQ5wBy4TuorxSeCUbSTD1zPuD_SRy-lyDHk2pN0PgmlLLL4qE4mhZnlAFjWHvKloGLnR9D84WZtZg=s0-d-e1-ft

Lots more to the story, but you know me. I talk too much.

https://www.loc.gov/today/cyberlc/feature_wdesc.php?rec=3350

We are very fortunate to have a strong education program, and Amanda at its head.

Tom M.
New England Air Museum
www.neam.org

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
spock.jpg

No, seriously. I never would've made the connection to Michelangelo. I love stuff like this.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Great post Tom. I know that I wouldn't want to run into Rockewell's Rosie in a dark alley.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The Rosie the Riviter National Historic Park is out here in Richmond. The oldest NPS Ranger works there and tells the story from her personal experience.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Man, look at the arms on "Rosie" on the Saturday Evening POST cover.... Don't mess with Rosie :rolleye:

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
And speaking of period stuff, I just saw this. Those were the days...

a-bomb.jpg

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
My wife is proud of the fact that her Dad was in the Army and her mother worked in an aircraft factory during the war! Not sure, but I think on B-17s. :encouragement: PJ

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I never even made the connection until recently. While my dad was in the south Pacific (1940-1944, CWO, Army, installing diesel generators and radar equipment), mom was building the Martin Mars out at Glenn L Martin in California.

Wow. Thanks Mom and Dad!
Tom M.