• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Not British but....

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
We have a Packard nut in our car club. I understand they are quite devoted owners.

Gorgeous car!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Beautiful car. My grandson who lives in New Jersey works in his spare time for a rich fella who owns 5 or 6 Packards, all in beautiful condition. It's his job to see that they are spotless and in good running condition. The guy lives in a mansion high above the river, he has a (garage)?? that holds 10cars! :rolleyes2: I think he's a banker/broker, what else! One is a huge Packard limousine, 2 are in the 40s and the rest are in the 30s or older and one looks like a buggy with a motor on it. Must be nice to be rich. :encouragement: PJ

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
That is a real beauty. I really love those old Packards.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
My dad had one of those gorgeous Packards in the 30s when they we just used cars. His boss, however, didn't like that he had one and told him if he wanted to keep his job, the Packard had to go.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Lovely car and not a bad price. If I could afford it I would be on my way to pick it up.

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I was at a pacific war museum in the middle of Texas last year (about the most unlikely place for a pacific war museum that I can think of) and they had one of the very few remaining original PT boats on display - they used 3 Packard V12 engines cranking out 1500HP each and according to the museum's placard by the end of WWII the military designated the engines as having an unlimited time between overhaul because of the quality and precision of Packard's engineering and manufacturing. So if their cars were made to similar quality standard that would make them very special indeed.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I doubt I would ever ad a pre-war car to my stable, even if the lottery ticket comes through for me, but I appreciate these old cars and love it when they pop up at shows. The old Packard's are really impressive.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Here is a shot I took of a particularly spectacular Packard at a local collection. This car won best in class at Pebble Beach, not once but twice. As I understand it, those two wins had to be at least 10 years apart.

Attachments

• JG_Packard.JPG
    JG_Packard.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 20

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
My dad had a 1941 Packard 160 Club Coupe around 1945-47. We drove to Florida in it - all 4 of us, with luggage. Quite a car. Two-tone green.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
That could be the very car. Note the "fold down" radio antenna, in down position. Another green one in Hemmings a year or two ago did not have the antenna - so not ours. It also had a "winter front". The grille bars were thermostatically controlled and closed up in the winter and opened in the summer. Only problem we had was a typical Packard thing - the gearshift linkage would get hung up in second gear and my mother! would have to get out, raise the hood and lever the linkage with a long screwdriver to free it up. Remember too that this car did not have power steering and must have been a handful for her to drive and park. She was not a big woman.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Remember too that this car did not have power steering and must have been a handful for her to drive and park. She was not a big woman.

No one had flabby arms back then.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Correction. My brother informed me that the Packard never went to Florida. It was our 1947 Chrysler New Yorker sedan. One big barge. First car I ever drove by myself - illegally of course. Had Chrysler Fluid drive. Gear shift and slush pump. Didn't need to use the clutch after you got rolling. Replaced by 1949 Chrysler New Yorker, then a 1951 Imperial. Those were the days you got a new car every couple of years. Oh yes. Dad represented the local Chrysler dealer in those years. In 1956, we bought our first second car - a Plymouth station wagon for my mother. In 1961, a Valiant for her, held together with dumdum. Then the partners split up, the agency was sold and my old man bought a Fiat 1100 TV sedan - "No more big cars". Followed by a Lancia Appia, Volvo Amazon, Mercedes 230S and then...ab Olds 98 as big as a house, followed by his last car - a Ford LTD or Galaxie? which my brother inherited, drove it back to Virginia and blew the transmission in North Carolina.