• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bank accounts I did not know about.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Recently I have been getting E mails letting me know there is a problem with my bank account.

My Chase Bank account.
My American Express card.
My Naval Federal Credit Union.
My City Bank account.
I have probable missed some accounts.

All of these accounts have had suspicious activity and are abut to be canceled or locked.

The problem is I do not have any of these accounts so I sent off for my free credit report from the 3 agencies. The first one has come back and no suspicious accounts appeared on that. There was one account I did not recognize but after some digging I found my Visa card issued by my local bank appears as a different financial institution. After digging through the my Bank paperwork I found the name of that other institution.

These are obviously just trying to get you to click on a link in the e mail. They just go in the trash.

Don't people have better things to do?

David

Country flag
Used to be they had to work to try to scam people, knock on your door, actually call, mail something and so on. So they relied on trying to get a fairly substantial percent to make it worthwhile and the scam had to be believable. But with the net they can try to scam millions around the world and the needed percent return can drop to near zero, 1 out of 100,00 or 1 in a million say. So they don't have to be as careful since they only need one here and one there for practically no cost of their own.

D

Deleted member 8987

I have a whole folder dedicated to reporting phishing attempts.
Yesterday it was Wells Fargo, and horribly done at that.

We solved the bank phishing issue before it ever began.

We don't do ANY on-line banking. Period.

phishalert@navyfederal.org
spoof@americanexpress.com
abuse@chase.com

emailspoof@citigroup.com

So anything we get from even our bank is bogus.
But, I report them all anyway, and retain originals and reports for 30 days in case they need to see it again.
And in all these years, they never have, not once.

Forward with full headers, let them chase down the junior high school computer lab students.

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Especially in the military, most people dont even want the forwarded emails from scammers. They just say delete them most of the time.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Got a phone call today from the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) (our IRS) saying a lawsuit had been launched in my name and I had to respond. I am very relieved, I just gave them my banking info and they are taking care of it - what good people! :rolleyes:

Actually the phone calls fascinate me - we get about one a day - and they do leave messages - in Chinese! Could be a scam but how would I know? :grin:

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
And now my Navy Federal Credit union card has been declined due to fraudulent activity.

I trashed their e mail due to fraudulent activity.

David

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Got a phone call today from the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) (our IRS) saying a lawsuit had been launched in my name and I had to respond. I am very relieved, I just gave them my banking info and they are taking care of it - what good people! :rolleyes:

Actually the phone calls fascinate me - we get about one a day - and they do leave messages - in Chinese! Could be a scam but how would I know? :grin:
At least they think you're worth enough to leave a message. I get scam calls with no message left.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I get all those too. So far none have actually left a message in Chinese though.