• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

It worked PERFECTLY....

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
About 4 years ago I built a wireless (z-wave) water shut-off system for my house after my mother-in-laws house sustained about $75K of water damage due to a broken toilet tank while no-one was home.
I installed small round moisture detectors like this
IMG_3759.jpg
in all the bathrooms, laundry room, kitchen and the BASEMENT by the water heater.

Yesterday evening I was getting ready to leave when I received this text message:
Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 8.56.05 AM.jpg

As soon as I got the message my wife called to say she also got the "alert" and wanted to know what was going on. I went into the basement and found that my water heater supply line had started to leak and was streaming out of the top of the water heater. Once it started to pool onto the floor the moisture sensor notified the z-waved control box and the water to the house was automatically shut off in seconds avoiding major damage and sent me a text message to let me know.

IMG_3753.jpg
IMG_3754.jpg

This is the water shutoff valve and control box I installed:
IMG_1998.jpg

This weekend we happened to be away and without this setup it could have been much worse as the water could have continued to run the entire time we were away!
This system just saved lots more than the cost to put it in.

Last edited:

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
That is awesome! Need to get me something like that. A few months back I was out in the garage and happened to notice water dripping from the ceiling. I thought it must have been the pvc tube that runs from our water softner to the kitchen, but alas it was actually the flex hose on top of the water heater had developed a pin-hole leak and was spraying a small stream up onto the ceiling (making it look like the leak was from above the ceiling). Is this system something you bought off the shelf or did you make it from various components?

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Thank you for that information.

We have a well so shut off of the water would be easier.

I am going to look into getting a setup like that as we go away from time to time and the house is empty. At 10 gallons a minute we would have a mess to clean up.

David

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Is this system something you bought off the shelf or did you make it from various components?
I bought the z-wave control box; it’s called Vera (but there are others). I also bought the moisture sensors.
Then I sourced the water shut off valve and installed it just after the water meter and wired it to a relay that’s hooked up to a z-wave receptacle. When the moisture sensor signals the control box, the control box turns on the z-wave receptacle which energizes the 120v shut off valve.
Since I built mine there are ready-made devices that will shut off the water but I don’t think it will notify you.