Thread: Stage 2 tune 1293

Discuss the Austin Healey Sprite and the MG Midget. Two different but similar cars sometimes referred to collectively as the Spridget.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Stage 2 tune 1293

When I purchased my frogeye two years ago I was told it had a stage 2 tuned 1293 unit I think it was rebuilt about ten years ago but it had very low mileage when I became custodian. Could anyone tell me what a stage 2 should have been in that era and how I can check if it is. Would there be any markings on the cyl head could I tell by compression ratio etc etc. It has a lbc manifold with twin SUís
    I would like to increase the performance but donít want to duplicate improvements already made.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Stage 2 tune 1293

Stage 2 tuning is a very nebulous description. It could mean anything the person making the statement wants it to mean. In theory stage 2 would be somewhat more modified than stage 1 which is equally vague. In my unprofessional opinion it MIGHT include an overbore, mild port & polish, somewhat hotter cam, electronic ignition, headers with a "performance (loud) exhaust" or none of this. Only way to find out is to start measuring and compare the results to a stock example. Sorry to be no help at all. Bob C
    Thank goodness the MG is finally gone, replaced by another Corvette

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Claffie View Post
    Stage 2 tuning is a very nebulous description. It could mean anything the person making the statement wants it to mean. In theory stage 2 would be somewhat more modified than stage 1 which is equally vague. In my unprofessional opinion it MIGHT include an overbore, mild port & polish, somewhat hotter cam, electronic ignition, headers with a "performance (loud) exhaust" or none of this. Only way to find out is to start measuring and compare the results to a stock example. Sorry to be no help at all. Bob C
    Bob is right. The only factory literature I'm aware of that speaks in terms of Stages is the "Special Tuning" Manual for the Mk I Sprite with a 948 and it gives tuning stages 1-5. The 1275 manuals only talk about a Stage 2, cylinder head, but nothing more. Add to it that every individual tuning company would have their own specs for what constituted a Stage 1, Stage 2, etc. which generally meant you could buy a "Stage 2" package for a certain amount of money and a "Stage 3" package for even more money.
    Rick

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks for your replies what I expected really, I seem to remember in my youth stage 1 and 2 kits were offered with specific items and mods. I suppose it’s head off cam out and have a look?