• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tube vs Tubeless discussion :]

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Classic Car Performance is a reseller of MWS/Dunlop wheels.

They say on their website, Austin Healey / MG / Morgan / Triumph - Spoke Chrome & Tubeless (assuming it’s the Dunlop wheel).
The spec sheet says: “Style…Tubeless. (Dayton’s attempt at this wheel requires a tube)”

https://www.classiccarperformance.com/products/xw452-wire-wheels?variant=9579335516207

Through the years, have the Dunlop wire wheels been modified or redesigned to now run tubeless?

Anyone running tubeless? How often do you have to monitor the air pressure?

Seems to be another.. tubeless vs tube discussion.

Last edited:

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I've run Dunlop wires tubeless for over 15 years, never an issue on my '65 BJ8.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have purchased a pre loved set of chromes - stamped - Made in India, and we know who sells them. They have actually been sound as a pound with the Tubeless tires since I bought them 3 or 4 years ago. My only complaint is that the chroming is a bit naff and requires a lot of attention to keep them pretty and small rust spots are appearing. I think that you need to keep cleaning them on a regular basis with a good chrome cleaner to keep the old rust at bay. Looking on the inside of the rims they have covered the area of the spoke nipples with a continuous bead of some blackish super swishy sticker to effect the seal.

:cheers:

Bob

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have tubeless Dayton 72s on both my cars , not a problem , chrome is still like new . Check the pressure maybe twice a Season .

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Tubeless, how is the repair done when a spoke breaks?
Do tubeless wheels have a rubber strip (rubber band) over the inside center or is a type of tape used?
Once a spoke is replaced, wheel needs to be air tight again.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
John, Dougie, your days are numbered guys, eventually a spoke will break. It's inevitable :(

No comment on:
Do tubeless wheels have a rubber strip (rubber band) over the inside center or is a type of tape used?

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
John, Dougie, your days are numbered guys, eventually a spoke will break. It's inevitable :(

No comment on:

72 spoke wheels are stronger and Daytons use Stainless steel spokes , they guarantee they will not need to be retrued .
also they have a thick bead of what looks like silicone rubber over where the normal rimband would go .
I dont know anyone who uses Daytons that has had issues or broken spokes .

Country flag
As I break a lot of spokes I use tubes. Some tires say they require tubes (Michelin) one the side walls. Moss sells the bands that protect the tubes. Plumbers tape works very well with two or three layers (cheap). This is what BCS does. Next time I need to dismount the tires I will use the bands as I think I can sneak under to replace the spoke. The tape curls when I do that.
After you do a serious clean of the chrome wheels, spray them with spray on wax (Meguires). They will then clean off easily with water.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

No comment on:
I'll let the next generation worry about that.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

No comment on:

I travel all over the country so I use tubes trying to get a tube or tubeless repaired today is almost a joke.
Simplicity just says carry a good spare tube.

On the other hand: 72 spoke wheels with SS spokes are not prone to spoke failure IMOP.

IN either case tubed or tubeless, just have a spare tube with you in case of a puncture.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Over the last 10 years, I've had 2 stainless spokes break on my 72 Dunlop wheels.
I'm not driving hard, never been on a track. I've always thought, more spokes, distributes the load better, hence less breakage. Yet I've had 2 spokes break on the 72 version.
I wonder if more spokes break on the 60 spoke vs 72. Sure some will say, I run 60, never had one break. I run 72 never had one break. Wonder what a poll would come up with.
Maybe spokes simply break every now and then; regardless... it's part of running wire wheels.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Over the last 10 years, I've had 2 stainless spokes break on my 72 Dunlop wheels..

See you should have bought Daytons ........

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
See you should have bought Daytons ........
Daytons, Dunlops, both 72 stainless spokes...
Reminds me of the joke: Man gets a red and blue tie from wife. Wife; try one on. Man puts red tie on. Wife, what you didn't like the blue tie?
OR...See you should have bought the disc wheels.....

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I had 48 spoke wheels as originally supplied with the 100. I got to the point where with some grunting and a set of Dunlop and tire irons, I could change a spoke without removing the tire or the tube. Not fun, especially breaking the bead free of the rim if it had been a while. Because I am( or was at any rate) a sick son of a gun ("Do it all youself, you'll be glad you did" is evidence of that) I mounted all 5 tires by hand when I did my rebuild. I'm too old and cranky now for that routine. I love my Minator tubeless knock off wheels. Only 8 spokes, but oh they are beefy.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
My pre-loved are 60s and tempting fate - I have had no probs since I bought them.

The super swishy sticker that was used to seal them looked to be a kind of rubber, similar to the seam seal that I can get from my local paint factor, but it may well be black silicone.

:cheers:

Bob

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Daytons, Dunlops, both 72 stainless spokes.......

You didnt read the fine print on the website ......the bit about guarantees etc . Theres a big difference from what I remember .

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Daytons, Dunlops, both 72 stainless spokes...
Reminds me of the joke: Man gets a red and blue tie from wife. Wife; try one on. Man puts red tie on. Wife, what you didn't like the blue tie?
OR...See you should have bought the disc wheels.....

Yeah But:[h=1]tainless Steels Classifications [/h]
[h=2]Stainless steels are commonly grouped into martensitic stainless steels, ferritic stainless steels, austenitic stainless steels, duplex (ferritic-austenitic) stainless steels, and precipitation-hardening stainless steels '[/h]
So U really do not know what you have unless U ask.

A magnet can help you decide good or bad>