Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Re: Tube vs Tubeless discussion :)

Quote Originally Posted by Keoke View Post
    Yeah But:tainless Steels Classifications

Stainless steels are commonly grouped into martensitic stainless steels, ferritic stainless steels, austenitic stainless steels, duplex (ferritic-austenitic) stainless steels, and precipitation-hardening stainless steels '

So U really do not know what you have unless U ask.

A magnet can help you decide good or bad>
    Not only did I ask but I took a magnet to them once I got them and the spokes are not magnetic meaning they contain minimal or less iron .
    I used to work in a brewery as a millwright so 304 stainless was everywhere so I do know the difference between good and cheap stainless .
    "If it aint broke ....dont fix it "
    " Thats not an oil leak ..........its a special automatic British rustproofing system "
    Best Healey in show ABCD Ottawa 2013
    Best Healey in Show Boot n Bonnett Kingston 2013

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I was talking t Roger Goofed OK
    1966 Daimler V8 Saloon; Safely Fast, Built to Last & and; Smooth as Glass.
    1966 BJ8 [ 2 ] Lil Red & Miss bLU
    1985 XJ6 Saloon
    1948 & 70 Lincoln continentals
    1973 Volvo P1800ES

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I am running tubes on my 60-spoked chrome wires. I believe they are Daytons. I had two broken spokes on a front wheel when I acquired the car six years ago. Replacing them wasn't too difficult once I had a shop remove the tire. Just put Kuhmo 185s on the car and used new tubes. Which means these wheels came to me with tubes. Back in 1963 I was working as a reporter for the Dayton Daily News and owning a BJ7 with painted wires and several broken spokes. This car had been actively drag-raced--it had cutouts on the exhaust and a switch for the overdrive on the shift knob. Took it to Dayton Wire Wheels--then located in Xenia, as I recall--and the only person on hand, the proprietor, I believe, cut out the old spokes, put in new ones, painted them, and then suggested I purchase the Dayton wheels, which he said were stronger than what came on my car. I soon had a pregnant wife and the Healey found a new owner. I didn't get another until about 60 years later.
    Owner of a 1960 BN7 with Toyota 5 speed and a '92 Porsche 968 coupe. Former owner '62 Jaguar MK2, MG-TF brought back from military service in Italy 1958, '61 Healey BT7, pre-A Porsche 356, and a Porsche 944.

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Tubeless 72 spoke chrome Daytons here. No problems, but they do need air once or twice a year.
    Things I need:
    3/8 generator pulley for 1965 BJ8
    Please PM me if you have one for sale.

All the pieces falling off my car were engineered to the highest British standards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Healey Nut View Post
    72 spoke wheels are stronger and Daytons use Stainless steel spokes , they guarantee they will not need to be retrued .
    also they have a thick bead of what looks like silicone rubber over where the normal rimband would go .
    I dont know anyone who uses Daytons that has had issues or broken spokes .
    Do Daytons use a different stainless steel spoke then Dunlop?
    Sometimes it is better to travel than to arrive.
    64BJ8 ph2

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Tubeless rims supposedly need a different type of bead; anyone got the scoop? My Daytons were tubed to begin with, but I've had them sealed, with varying success, and now I'm running a couple with tubes. Tubeless is better if they seal; I've had a couple tubes go flat due to chafing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Right off an email that Iget every day from a supplier
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If it aint broke ....dont fix it "
    " Thats not an oil leak ..........its a special automatic British rustproofing system "
    Best Healey in show ABCD Ottawa 2013
    Best Healey in Show Boot n Bonnett Kingston 2013

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Hi All,

It was in the early 1990s that I purchased (4) 72-spoke wires from Dayton. Keep in mind that, back the, I attributed my biggest frustration to un-trued and unbalanced wheels and chose the stronger 72-spokes to address this issue (not recognizing my problem was with unbalanced brake drums).

After reading a number of articles on what to consider when making wires tubeless, I decided to stick with what I was familiar and chose tubes. Today, however, with the changes in Dayton's and tire technology, I would opt for having tubeless even though I have had no issues (including broken spokes) with my wheels.

As I understand, tubes can chafe and, when punctured, tend to loose air quickly. However, with a similar punctured, tubeless tires will loose air slowly and can be repaired with a plug without dismounting. In both cases, Dayton (I don't know about modern Dunlop) has incorporated technologies have a way to maintain proper wheel truing and air pressure
    without objectionable maintenance

Although I have no present intention of purchasing new replacements for my presently installed Dayton wires, if I did I would take advantage of the improvements.

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

I bought my Daytons prior to them coming tubeless straight from the factory. British Wire Wheel (no longer in business) asked if I wanted tubeless. I said yes. They used silicone to seal the spokes at both ends, at the rim to keep air in and at the hub to keep grease in. That was about 20 years ago.
    John, BN4