• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A temp gauge sealer

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I am back on the tr3 after our road trip to the Mexican Border. We drove that way to see the sun because a while back we have had largest recorded snow fall for a day in Washington. Anyways I posted some temp gauge pictures I took after trying to install the temp gauge along with what is published as to how the gauge routes. This is the best I could do-- those guys must have been 16 years old to get up and under the dash, I am working with a stock gauge and very fearful of breaking it. I was able to get that small loop to get the tube going back and around the heater and one loop by the coil. The picture of the loop under the dash is difficult to see if you do not know what you’re looking for plus I would add the factory picture is an artist drawing. Anyways, I was going to hook up one of the last ties and could not remember if there is an O ring on the sender bulb or not, or anything else to help seal.

steve

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Anyways, I was going to hook up one of the last ties and could not remember if there is an O ring on the sender bulb or not, or anything else to help seal.
Nope, it's just metal-on-metal.

I like to smear some teflon pipe dope on the seating part of the bulb, and on the threads of the nut, just to make it easier to get out next time. But it's certainly not needed to make it seal.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Very neat installation.

I got one of the modern look alight gauges which came with a green "O" ring on the nut that threads into the thermostat housing. Was not sure if the "O" ring was needed or not so I left it on. So far no leaks.

David

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks David inwardly that is what I was looking for the validation of neat and tidy without proceeding the fall with pride. For me restoration is also artistic expression were I do not have to be super creative but be able to replicate. Again, it makes it easier for me to follow a blue print than create one to be artistic.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I hear ya! We spent a month in Colorado...most snow they have had since the 1970's...at least. Next move was to Vegas, but we kept heading west, get caught by closed roads due to snow...drop a hundred miles south and try new roads west...until we wound up stuck on a corner in Winslow Arizona. Literally. The road to Phoenix (to continue south) was closed with snow, the road to Vegas was closed for the first time in it's history, and I40 was closed both directions. We finally dug out the RV...again, literally...and made Vegas 4 days late. In between all this we spent one night in 5 degree temps with no propane, drove through Flagstaff while 2 feet of snow came down in 3 hours...and have decided that wintering in an RV is doable, but NOT by us!! The 8th straight day of standing on the slick roof shoveling snow off the slides reminded me that I am almost 60. Continuing this lifestyle will not end well.

Soooo...in San Francisco this month, but we are heading back to Texas with our tails between our legs next month. No more winter RV trips above 30 degrees latitude! The open topped Triumph calls us home

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Wow John we were going to go over Phoenix to see my wife’s sister and were considering going up through Salt Lake, then Boise and back, but she was not home. We were checking weather on her phone, and they made it sound doable. I already felt I was in a combination of the move Titanic and Gilligan’s Island, so we would have sunk for sure. When we came through Oregon and after cutting over to coast to miss the mountain passes, went to Eureka Cal. From there, we took 299 through Weaverville to get back to I-5 at Redding. The Phone said no snow, not true, Snowing at Weaverville plus 299 is a crazy wild road. When we got closer to Redding, we saw all the damage from the big fire. I remember this big old white house sitting out all alone is this burned landscape with snow. Anyways, if I would have gone the Phoenix route we would have stared in the same move. The moral to the story is do not trust the Phone.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
How funny...we are passing within 100 miles of each other! We’ll be heading back down and through Phoenix in about 2 weeks. So I assume we’ll pass again at some point. I need to ditch the RV and get back to road trips in the Triumph!