• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

But no more static cling...

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I've always had a soft touch for Subies, now I know why, it's the Downy side! :highly_amused:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I've always had a soft touch for Subies, now I know why, it's the Downy side! :highly_amused:

I agree! but you have to admit it's a new wrinkle on car recalls!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
OK, I'm a dunce (again). How the heck could fabric softener, etc. get to the Subaru brake light switch?

Last I checked I haven't used fabric softener on my shoes.

Or are most folks today washing their brake light switches ...?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
OK, I'm a dunce (again). How the heck could fabric softener, etc. get to the Subaru brake light switch?

Last I checked I haven't used fabric softener on my shoes.

Or are most folks today washing their brake light switches ...?

Not fabric softener per se but - "consumer products containing silicone that can seep into the brake-lamp switch housing and deposit a layer on the switch contact." - In many ways it is more of a story about the ubiquity of chemicals in our day to day lives - that we aren't even aware of - and their unintended effects.

(BTW dryer sheets serve two car purposes in my world. 1. Wetted they are great to remove bug splat from the front of the car and 2. I put them in my Multipla (in storage) to keep away mice. (and in the shed where we store the outdoor cushions)

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Might even be in the car fabric, leather, vinyl cleaners produced today.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Larry. I'm trying to figure out how silicone in things like fabric, leather, vinyl cleaners, etc. could get inside a brake light switch!

Tom M.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
I really don't know, just seems if it is an airborne thing might be the cleaning products. My nephew was given a Villager (Quest by Nissan) by his Grandma. She smoked heavily, so he wiped the whole van down with clorox wipes and almost totaled the electrics thru the headlight switch, seems bleach and copper terminals don't mix.

Last edited:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I really don't know, just seems ifnit is an airborne thing might be the cleaning products. My nephew was given a Villager (Quest by Nissan) by his Grandma. She smoked heavily, so he wiped the whole van down with clorox wipes and almost totaled the electrics thru the headlight switch, seems bleach and copper terminals don't mix.

agreed, things like soap/wax - car washes come to mind