• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Old Triumph Lover

Ken H

Country flag
Hi, My name is Ken Harris and I've been a Triumph lover since I learned to drive in a 60 TR-3 which my father bought in the early 60's. I've owned a few TR-3s, a Spitfire, and a TR-4.

I currently have a TR-3B that provided transportation to work for over 35 years. About 15 years ago, I did a ground up restoration of the car rebuilding everything except the differential. Now that I'm retired, I am thinking about doing another major facelift on the car. Mechanically it's in pretty good shape, but the body can use a new paint job.

I currently live in Tallahassee, FL where there are beautiful hilly roads lined with trees and it's a beautiful place to drive a TR. I'm enjoying retirement here.

I joined the forum in hopes of resolving a problem with the clutch hydraulics that seems to elude me. A TR-3B, as most of you know, is a cross between the TR-3 and TR-4. My manuals (Haynes and Bentley) discuss TR-3 and TR-4 but not the 3B which can be confusing when trying to resolve issues with a 3B. I'll post my clutch problems on the forum in the next day or two.

I'm glad to see so many great topics discussed on the forum and will visit often.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
welcome! sounds like a great car - I am sure there will be many available to help over at the Triumph forum.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Are you a lover of Triumphs that are old or a Triumph lover who is old? Either way you'll fit right in!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Best of my knowledge, Ken, TR3B clutch is identical to TR3A. TR4 uses a different MC with an integral reservoir, but everything else (slave cylinder, pressure plate and so on) remains identical (same part numbers). The MC even takes the same rebuild kit! The clutch didn't change until TR4A.

Welcome to the forum.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello Ken

Welcome to the forum

My first car was a TR2 with a fiberglass TR3 front cowl. That was back in 1968 so I go back some time with the TRs.

You will get plenty of tips, help and advice in the Triumph section.

Post some photos of your TR3B

David

OP
K

Ken H

Country flag
Are you a lover of Triumphs that are old or a Triumph lover who is old? Either way you'll fit right in!

Yes.....to both. I've had a problem with my clutch hydraulics, but I think I discovered what the problem was and a slave cylinder kit is on order. Hopefully, that will get me back on the road. This car was my daily driver for 35 years. Can't wait to get it on the road again.

OP
K

Ken H

Country flag
TR3 in 2010.jpgTriumph TR3 June 2010.jpgTR3 Engine in 2010.jpg

Hi David,
Thanks for the welcome. In December of 68, I had a 66 TR-4 and drove it from DC to Tampa with four of us in the car. The top had to be down for us all to fit. We also had a banjo, guitar, and mandolin with us. I was a little more adventuresome in those days. I haven't heard of the fiberglass cowl before.
regards, Ken

OP
K

Ken H

Country flag
Thanks for the welcome and advise. My clutch engages at different points each time I shift. One time it engages with an inch of peddle travel and another time it may engage when it's close to the floor. Yesterday I got under the car to observe the slave cylinder as my wife operated the clutch peddle. I noticed the slave cylinder returns to normal position very slowly as if there was a lot of internal friction. It would also drip once in a while after several actuations. I pulled the slave cylinder (girling) and saw the seal was partially folded over. That is part of the seal was folded backwards while the other part was in the correct position. Very strange. That explains the increased friction and the slow leak. This is the first time I've seen this problem before. I don't know what could have caused it. Any ideas?

I've ordered a new slave cylinder kit. (the bore on the old cylindar looks great) and will install it as soon as it arrives.

thanks Ken

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
View attachment 57920View attachment 57921View attachment 57922

Hi David,
Thanks for the welcome. In December of 68, I had a 66 TR-4 and drove it from DC to Tampa with four of us in the car. The top had to be down for us all to fit. We also had a banjo, guitar, and mandolin with us. I was a little more adventuresome in those days. I haven't heard of the fiberglass cowl before.
regards, Ken

Did someone say "banjo"? Clawhammer player here, along with guitar. Love me some Appalachian/Old Time music!

Welcome to the party!

Mickey

OP
K

Ken H

Country flag
Did someone say "banjo"? Clawhammer player here, along with guitar. Love me some Appalachian/Old Time music!

Welcome to the party!

Mickey

Hi Mickey. I'm the guitar player and my college roomate played a five string. We had great times pickin in the dorm.
Today, I got my slave cylinder rebuild kit and just got back from a short drive. The clutch seems to work fine. I'm a happy camper today.:welcoming: