• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Driving in the winter

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I'm not so impressed... and think he's nuts to do that in THAT particular car (sort of showing off). He could do donuts with anything on ice.

[While I appreciate he isn't worried about a scratch or two, he could lose control of that car on ANY surface - and many do.]

Last edited:

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
MORE LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!! :excitement:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Showing off indeed. Not exactly a prime example of maturity ...

More like an example of wealth and irresponsibility.

His money, his car, his choice. It ~IS~ a good way to learn skid recovery and control on the cheap, though (no skid pad fees or schedules). Did just that with First Wife in my MGB. Empty snow covered shopping center lot. Worked great.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Thats how I learned to drive in snow, just lower profile in Dad's Corvair. Every new driver should find an empty parking lot.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
His money, his car, his choice. It ~IS~ a good way to learn skid recovery and control on the cheap, though (no skid pad fees or schedules). Did just that with First Wife in my MGB. Empty snow covered shopping center lot. Worked great.

and I learned that way as well - and FWIW do suspect he was hamming it up a bit for the camera - not sure if I would drive a Lambo - or a Kia that way all of the time.

BTW Doc, where did you find an empty shopping centre parking lot in Florida much less a snow covered one? :jester:

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
BTW Doc, where did you find an empty shopping centre parking lot in Florida much less a snow covered one? :jester:
A pallet of this.
s-l300.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

T'was in 1970, in Perkiomen or Macungie, Pennsylvania. I believe it was a Sears lot on a Sunday. No curb stones, no light poles.

I like Greg's answer but that stuff is nearly impossible to remove!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I remember as a kid my dad taking me to an empty, frozen over grocery store parking lot in Buena Vista, CO to practice. Just like Doc's Sears parking lot it had no obstructions to hit.

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I learned skid recovery that way, taught my kids, and now my grandbaby. I do recall a friend sliding backward into a concrete light post. His Skylark had a similar shape before the crash. Remember those cars? The wedge shape was much deeper afterward.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It's nice to know that there is a good use for snow-covered surfaces. We have to go into the Sierra with all the other hundreds of thousands people.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Speaking of skids... When I was working on Terminator 3, they were practicing sliding on wet asphalt with a 180 ton Champion crane. They got it sideways but ran out of wet. When that happened, the crane rolled a couple times. It cost the movie $250,000 that weekend to repair it. I was in a building about a 1/4 mile away. Heard and felt the crash. Here is a photo of that exact crane practicing the stunt that happens just after the boom arm went through a building.
180-ton-special-effects-terminator-21.jpg

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Amazing! (and bonkers) OTOH this clip always amazes me!